17 replies to this topic

#1 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 03:37 PM

After watching TMWTGG the other night I have these thoughts. Over the years, I've always watched and enjoyed Bond films pertaining to moods I'm in. I'll enjoy FRWL, TB, GF, FYEO, OP, TLD, and GE sometimes when I'm in a more serious Bond mood, and sometimes I'm in a MR, TSWLM, TND, TWINE, and YOLT mood. But, I've never been in a TMWTGG mood for some strange reason. It always seemed boring and slow to me.
But after watching it with some friends the other night, my perspective on TMWTGG has changed. I've learned to appreciate, and enjoy the acting, action, music and style of the film.
As for the acting, I think Roger gave a great performance. He layed down some great lines and played a perfect serious, arrogant, and confident Bond. I truly think that his performance as Bond in this film is one of the best performances any actor has done as Bond. It belongs with Connery's portrayals in GF, and TB, and Moore's in TSWLM, and FYEO. As for Christopher Lee, he played a great villain in Scaramanga. He was described in DVD as a darker version of Bond. Lee performed that aspect very well. When you watch the film with that in mind, it is a new film all together. Maud Adams played a great Bond girl as well as did Britt Ekland. Mary Goodnight was a good Bond girl in that she was meant to be a ditz. Lines such as, "Goodnight, I don't like to ask you big questions" were hilarious. Maud played an excellent mistress, so good, that she was able to return in OP.
Action, although not as plentiful as in TSWLM, or other films, it is smart and entertaining. I look at the pretitle scene and see a good eerie suspenseful scene with this new character Scaramanga strutting his skills. The brawl in the dancer's room was a well choreographed fighting scene, which I think Roger performed very well. Bond's fight with the sumo wrestlers was interesting, but his fight with the karate school was great. It was a great contrast in character, the karate master and Bond, the spy. The way Bond kicked the student as he bowed, was great in pertaining to the character of Bond as someone who will win no matter what, and doesn't care what others think. The boat chase was decent, but the car chase between the two AMC cars was great. The lush settings provided the chase with a exotic feel. The ending was great (the duel) where Bond outsmarted Scaramanga. This scene was more suspenseful rather than action oriented. Also, I liked the scens where Bond was trying to take out the Solex, because of the suspense.
As for the music, I thought that the score by John Barry was one of his best. His "oriental" styled scores, YOLT and TMWTGG, were very good and exotic. The score had some very good themes for Scaramanga, and Nick Nack.
The style of the film to me, is one of lush, glamorous locales spiced with a great score, acting and a very interesting villain who perhaps is a dark incarnation of Bond himself. Any other thoughts on TMWTGG?

#2 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:31 PM

TBH I never saw the problem with this film, or for that matter MR and AVTAK. Sure they aren't rogers best films, but they are still classic Bonds that can be watched over and over again, unlike some of the more recent ones...

#3 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:32 PM

It's in my top five.

#4 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 12:45 AM

Its the BEST BOND EVER (in my opinion of course)

#5 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 04:47 PM

Its a great Bond movie, Roger IS Ian Fleming's Bond! :)

#6 Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 05:07 PM

We were one of the first families on the block to get cable
T.V way back when. HBO showed TMWTGG about five times a day and I watched it EVERY time! Although Britt Ekland has my vote as the most irritating Bond girl, Roger Moore is serious(and even a bit sadistic!)here.
And Lee is a perfect adversary! Many memorable scenes. I love the Bond/M scene aboard the Queen Mary. Bond & Hip get a true chewing out!(which reminds me) Wish we could have seen more of Chew me!!!

#7 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 05:41 PM

The Man With The Golden Gun is a good James Bond Film. It ia like much of the Moore Legacy . It is just underrated. Like Live and Let Die it came at the end of the Kung-fu crazy in filmmaking reached it's zenith . Where LALD is to some part of the Black exploitation films. I saw the film in 1974 .

#8 _JW_

_JW_

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 05:46 PM

TMWTGG is one of my favorites. I still don't understand why it got a 'reputation' for being a bad film. Moore and Lee have some great chemistry together.

#9 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 12:08 AM

TMWTGG is a great movie. Christopher Lee is one of the greatest Bond villains. Good combination of humor, action, plot and dialogue.

#10 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 09:51 AM

i like it, but its definetly moores worst. although it has some good things in it (scaramanga, james bond island, maud adams) the film just doesnt work properly, some parts are slightly boring and the whole thing seems tired.

#11 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:18 AM

I love this film. I would always watch this on TV, and it only ever seemed to be this film and Moonraker that were shown in the UK. There are so many memorable bits in it. I just can't see why it is considered as bad as what people have been saying. Even Moonraker is great, just typical Bond films, epic (Moonraker) and enjoyable, escapism. Much more watchable than the recent films, because they are consistent throughout, and contain suspense scenes, such as the removal of the solex agitator, and more espionage/spying.

I want a film like this again. Enough huge explosions and special effects.

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 12:52 PM

I'm glad you had a fun time watching TMWTGG, but I have to disagree with your assessment. My major gripe with TMWTGG is the shoddy production values. The sets look like they were made of cardboard and Scaramanga's Funhouse set lacks real dimension and is just downright cringe inspiring.
Nick Nack is in my opinion is also the most downright annoying of all the Bond henchman. I don't find him at all amusing and I keep expecting him to pipe up with "The plane, the plane" at any moment.
Also annoying is Mary Goodnight, she's just a mindless bimbo and Bond seems to spend the whole movie rescuing her.
Still the worst Moore Bond movie is better than the best Bond movie of the other actors, with the exception of OHMSS which I love.

#13 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 06:01 PM

Holly Goodnight? I think you mean Mary Goodnight Dlibrasnow...

And I agree, the worst of the Moore films is better than the best of the other Bond actors.

And yes I do expect to hear from the Connery and Brosnan fans any second now.....

#14 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 06:11 PM

Originally posted by goldengun
And I agree, the worst of the Moore films is better than the best of the other Bond actors.
And yes I do expect to hear from the Connery and Brosnan fans any second now.....

Moore's first 3 films were great . "Live and Let Die" and "Man With The Golden Gun" are small scale Bond films. Not every Bond adventure had to have a count down to Doomsday theme . Ironically the soundtracks to both films are great also .

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 09:44 PM

Originally posted by goldengun
Holly Goodnight?    I think you mean Mary Goodnight Dlibrasnow...

I don't think you have to worry Goldengun, I doubt any of the BBC would willingly enter into the Moore forum. Those that I know that do are level headed enough to know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The Brosnan thought police tend to remain in their own little corner of CBn.
Well caught on the error goldengun...thanks.

#16 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 08:45 PM

Mary Goodnight drives a chrome bumpered early version MGB roadster. In my eyes, this alone makes TMWTGG worth watching :)

#17 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:29 AM

I think TMWTGG is incredibly underrated. It is an incredibly enjoyable movie and Moore's performance is great. Scaramanga ranks as my second favorite villian and the one-liners are great. The only to downsides is Britt Ekland and Nick Nack. As DLibrasnow said, I was waiting for him to say "The plane, the plane!".

#18 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 03:44 PM

Britt Ekland was very nice in the bikini. Her scenes in the hotel room with Moore and Adams was great. I think they all played off of eacjh other really well.

Although she will always be remembered as the Bond girl whose bum started the Solex Agitator and almost killed Bond.

How about that?