3 replies to this topic

#1 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 12:42 AM

I just found a hardback copy of the licence to kill novelization at a used books store and I was wondering what the differences were between the editions? (library, trade, and limited) The one I found was the library edition although it never made it to one, no marks or anything. It's in great condition. I've been trying to get one on EBAY for a while but they always go for way out of my price range. The number line reads 5 4 3 2 1 and it's the First Armchair Detective Library Edition. Can anyone tell me the number of copies printed or anything else useful?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 01:23 AM

I don't know the total number of copies printed, but if this is a copy with a dust jacket then you got yourself a very nice book there that typically sells for hundreds of dollars. Armchair did 4 editions of License To Kill total. They are:

Trade: Blue boards with picture of Gardner on cover. No dust jacket. No slipcase.

Limited numbered: As above, but with maroon boards and came in slipcase. Limited to 100.

Limited lettered: As above but limited to 26 lettered editions.

Library: Only copy with a pictorial dust jacket using teaser poster art.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 01:30 AM

Hmmm...

My terminolgy might be a little turned around here. Not 100% sure which one is called the "library edition" -- the one with dust jacket or the blue board edition? Maybe you can tell me?

#4 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 06:30 AM

On the copyright page it has the ISBN #'s for all of the editions.

"0-922890-14-5 Library Edition $19.85
0-922890-16-1 Trade $25
0-922890-17-X Limited $75"

The one I have is the "Library Edition". The dust jacket is in really good condition and it has a picture of Dalton holding up a pistol with a caption of "Bond is Back". The outside of the actual book, I'm guessing this is the boards, is black and the only words are on the spine. The prices listed on the copyright page, that I quoted above are in $$, but the price on the inside of the dust jacket says 12.95 pounds.(no idea how to make the little pounds symbol)