Connery, the 5th "Greatest Star"

6 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 December 2001 - 04:48 AM

Ananova reports of a "Gratest Star" poll by FilmFour in which De Nero, Pacino, Kevin Spacey, Jack Nicholson, then Sean Connery have been voted the top 5 stars.

#2 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 12:01 AM

Well, he's certainly in my top five actors list. I think Connery should have gotten a few more Oscars than the one he got for "The Untouchables." He deserved it for that one, and it's one of my top ten favourite movies of all time. Ironically, he hates giving out autographs. I read he was one of the worst people to ask for an autograph. Once when he was at a sporting event, (back when he was still Bond, I believe), a woman asked him for one and he snapped; "Get out of my way, bloody woman. Do you think I paid 50 quid to sit here and look at your ugly face?" I told my mom this and she wasn't surprised, just said that he was probaly a grumpy old Scotsman like the rest. :) I was glad they honored him at a banquet a few years ago (forget the name of it). He looked as though he liked it, especially when the bagpipes played. I don't think he was too thrilled when they played the video of his life and showed the Bond films, complete with the theme. You should've seen his face. >(

#3 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 07:41 PM

I have been a Connery fan as long as I have been a Bond fan (a long time) and must say that he has turned out performances that are outstanding--many of which the mass public have not seen. Watching movies such as "The Man Who Would Be King" (one of my favorite films of all time), "Robin and Marion", "Five Days One Summer" "The Name of the Rose" and "The Offense" one can see that he really does have more range then people give him credit for. These are all in my humble opinion Oscar worthy performances. He is also capable of being extremely bankable i.e. Last Crusade, Hunt for Red October, and The Rock. His latest performance in Finding Forrester is pretty damn good as well (and profitable)!
One last side note Connery has signed to play Allan Quatermain in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, an adventure science fiction type film in which characters from fiction such as Sherlock Holmes, the Invisible Man, and Dr. Jeckyl combine forces to fight an evil nemesis! Pretty amazing movie for a man who is now 70!

#4 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 01:34 AM

You guys kill me...

Connery was "never really in a major epic"...REALLY?

What do you call Goldfinger?

It was a World-Wide Mega Hit...do your :)ing homework....Theatres were open 24 hours a day....It surpassed in one month what took Ben Hur a year to do

Then....

THUNDERBALL....Do you know how many tickets were sold for thunderball in North America alone?

I'll tell you....70,000,000 tickets...that is more tickets than Titanic or any of the Star Wars movies at their release

Its world-wide gross was nearly US $160 million ....thats in 1965/1966 dollars...which is approximately nearly $1 BILLION in CURRENT DOLLARS (i.ei INFLATION-ADJUSTED)

Hows that for epic?

Kevin :)ing Spacey couldnt hold a candle to Connery...What epic has he been in? American Beauty? what an over-rated motion picture....Spacey has a long way to go before he is worthy of "fetching" connery's golf "shoes"

Hope i didnt go over-board by my defence...We investment banker/MBA types have a way of fiercely defending things we're passionate about....

cheers, Ray ;)

#5 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 December 2001 - 07:45 AM

Odd group.
Not that I'm arguing about Connery's inclusion, mind. The man's been a major star, and first rate cinema actor for nigh on forty years. I'm not sure anyone can equal that apart from perhaps John Wayne, and Connery's turned in more top performances than the Duke.

#6 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 09:38 PM

Sean Connery is the #1 actor in my book. I don't see why he doesn't like the bond movies. Yes he was very good in the Untouchables.

#7 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 01:22 PM

Connery never really starred in a major Epic, which I could say would have been a handicap. I think it was only his involvement with Bond that put him in that class.