This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What do you think is the best Post-Fleming Bond novel?

10 replies to this topic

#1 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 09:00 PM

I've seen in some other threads about people saying they prefer Colonel Sun as the best post-fleming, and others saying Icebreaker or High Time to Kill. I enjoyed a lot of Gardner's books, but not as much as Flemings' or Benson's. But my favorite post-fleming would have to be Never Dream of Dying for the reappearing of old characters, the final chapter of the Union trilogy and Bond going head over heels for a woman again. What is the consensus?

#2 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 09:03 PM

My personal favorite is John Gardner's "For Special Services" (1982) . I love the "skyjacking" in first part . Plus Gardner's re-introduction of SPECTRE /Blofeld was great .

#3 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 01:16 AM

Colonel Sun. Aims' is a good writer, lacks Fleming's sweep as it were, but his Bond feels and reads closest to that of Fleming's.

But I really think they should have stuck by Anne Fleming's wishes and perhaps even Fleming's and let Bond die with his creator.

#4 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 01:22 AM

After reading YOLT, I thought that that could have been a great ending to the literary Bond (after killing his arch nemesis he is presumed dead and lives happily ever after on a japanese island with his wife, Kissy). I wouldn't even want to see TMWTGG. But in the end, I love reading the post-fleming books so I don't know what really should have happened. I do think there are great Bond novels after Fleming like LR, FSS, IB, NDMB, BC, NSF, ZMT, HTTK, DS, NDOD, and TMWTRT.

#5 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:02 PM

I'll have to go with Colonel Sun as well. Some great tension and action scenes.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:18 PM

I'm with you, SirMiles83. I gotta go with NEVER DREAM OF DYING.

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:55 PM

"Colonel Sun", no question. Streets ahead of anything by Gardner or Benson.

To echo 1q2w3e4r's point: "But I really think they should have stuck by Anne Fleming's wishes and perhaps even Fleming's and let Bond die with his creator."

#8 Agent 0011

Agent 0011

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 12:15 AM

Man...for me it's probably a close call between "Colonel Sun" (some great tension in the air and great story line...keep's Fleming's Bond alive) and "Never Dream of Dying" ( same case...good drama...characters and a good Bond).....no one will ever match Fleming....but for some of us, a modified Bond is better than no Bond at all.....

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 02:00 AM

I haven't read many post Fleming novels but from the ones I have read I think Raymond Benson's "The Facts of Death" (1998) is the best. Though, that will probably change once I read more.

#10 Agent 0011

Agent 0011

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 03:55 AM

i enjoyed "facts of death"...but i bet you would like "Never dream of dying" even better...my opinion is Benson's best

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:21 PM

I'd hate to sound like a cliche at this point, but I have read Never Dream of Dying for the second time. I did it in one evening the second time around. I enjoy that book quite a bit.