Missed Oppurtunity in Live&Let Die???

13 replies to this topic

#1 Bond's Lovechild #043

Bond's Lovechild #043

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 10:28 AM

Who reckons the producers missed an oppurtunity when they didn't use the stunt accident footage of Bond jumping over the crocodiles and (almost) landing in a crocs mouth?

[this footage can be seen in the Special Features of the DVD]

i realize Bond (esp. Moore) is always meant to be cool and collected, but that would have been super-cool... a bit of realism. (the audiences at the time would have gasped coz it wouldn't have been a digital effect!)

#2 Alex

Alex

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:06 AM

I think a missed opportunity was the "Mrs. Bond" remark that the concierge made to Bond. It would've been good to use this line to ease Moore into the role, like if he said "Mrs. Bond passed away some time ago" or something along those lines.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:15 AM

I seem to recall Moore giving an expression (no not this: rm2) after the concierge mentions Mrs Bond that is one of slight sorrow. :'(
Obviously he can't say 'Mrs Bond passed away.' to the guy that just checked her in! :)

#4 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 01:29 AM

General Koskov (02 Mar, 2002 11:34 p.m.):
The biggest opportunity they missed in the making of LALD is reading the Fleming novel, :).

Events of filming of Live, and Let Die:

MOORE: Could you get me a copy of that book, so I can play Bond even more realistically than Connery, Cubby?

BROCCOLI: Okay here it is--oh my God, you're having a kidney stone attack!
(he chucks the novel out the window while rushing over to call the ambulance...)

...it, nor any other Fleming book was seen until 1980 :)

Exactly.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 01:45 AM

Alex (03 Mar, 2002 05:06 a.m.):
I think a missed opportunity was the "Mrs. Bond" remark that the concierge made to Bond. It would've been good to use this line to ease Moore into the role, like if he said "Mrs. Bond passed away some time ago" or something along those lines.

That would have been horribly out of character.

#6 piotr007

piotr007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 06:13 PM

Not sure it would fit. As you said, Moore must be cool. And... During the accident a crocodile owner's (his name was... KANANGA) face could be seen. Not sure whether they could edit that.

#7 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 11:15 PM

great idea all the same. I was actually wondering about that a couple of days ago. It would have been cool to see that.

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 11:34 PM

The biggest opportunity they missed in the making of LALD is reading the Fleming novel, :).

MOORE: Could you get me a copy of that book, so I can play Bond even more realistically than Connery, Cubby?

(he chucks the novel out the window while rushing over to call the ambulance...)

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 11:41 PM

For me, the biggest oppurtunity they missed was not using the phrase 'Live and Let Die' in the movie. It would have been great if it had been said by Bond at one point and would have made the title more clear. But instead we get B.J. Arnau performing the title song somewhere in the middle of the film as the only regonition of the title.
(I'm actually listening to this version as I type. Pretty good it is.)

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Tanger
For me, the biggest oppurtunity they missed was not using the phrase 'Live and Let Die' in the movie. It would have been great if it had been said by Bond at one point and would have made the title more clear. But instead we get B.J. Arnau performing the title song somewhere in the middle of the film as the only regonition of the title.
(I'm actually listening to this version as I type. Pretty good it is.)

You must be kidding....... I hate the way the producers feel they have to squeeze the title to the movie in somewhere...whats with that?? I don't see why they need to do that.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 11:44 AM

Originally posted by General Koskov

Actually the prodcers caught Jane Seymour reading the novel on the set and they got p*ssed at her.

#12 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:09 PM

>>Who reckons the producers missed an oppurtunity when they didn't use the stunt accident footage of Bond jumping over the crocodiles and (almost) landing in a crocs mouth?<<

Interesting observation. I remember watching the UK TV premier of this in 1980 (aged 10) and thinking the crocodiles were fake. It wasn't until years later that I learnt they were real. The out-take certainly proves they WERE real and, as you say, is more scary than the take used.

The tanker sequence in LTK was altered to take advantage of an accident that actually looked better than what they were supposed to be filming. Shame it didn't apply here.

>>During the accident a crocodile owner's face could be seen<<

But you could clearly see that it wasn't Mr Moore who drove the half-taxi in AVTAK but it didn't stop them from using it. :)

#13 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 10:36 AM

I wished they cast Diana Ross in it.. like they were going to:(

#14 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 04:51 PM

John Barry did not score the film . Thats the one for miss opportunity for me.