3 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 08:38 PM

An ugly flame war started in this thread...I was trying to delete two particularly nasty posts and I accidentally deleted the whole thread. Not sure who originated this thread, but I apologize.

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:32 PM

This seems like a very interesting topic, so I'll try to restart it.

I'd say that in retrospect OHMSS has a place among classic live stories of film history. However, in 1969, it did not have this status. My reasoning is that in 2003 we can look back on the classic Bond films and the books as perhaps the greatest entertainment franchise in modern history--and we can look upon Bond's character as the hub of this. Therefore, the sole film in which James Bond falls in love and marries certainly deserves a place in film history because of the famous character falling in love.

In 1969, James Bond was famous, but not classical. He was still at his peak of popularity carried over (to some extent) from Thunderball. Therefore, any love story involving Bond was merely novel and could not be comprehended by contemporary critics as a 'classic love story'.

#3 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:35 PM

Hell yes, it's a very touching story. I saw it on the big screen last year and walked out feeling kind of down. It sneaks up on you, you don't realize how much the film has affected you until that ending. Then you read comments that Peter Hunt was claiming the he'd considered ending OHMSS at the wedding and opening DAF with Tracy's death. Absurd.

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:47 PM

This is from an interview with Hunt at the Secret Intelligence site devoted to James Bond; Gary Giblin is the interviewer:

[quote]Gary: Was it always your intention to have Tracy killed at the end?  

Peter: Yes, of course. It was in the book.  

Gary: And there was never any objection from the producers?  

Peter: Oh, I should say there was! You have to remember that I am a terrible bully