This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Bizarre villans/henchman - where are they now?

11 replies to this topic

#1 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 07:41 PM

Reading the recent topic on AVTAK - i relaized the Max Zorin was really a ruthless guy, but an interesting character - a progeny of the eugneics experiments from the good Dr. Mortimer.

But has anyone noticed that the Bond films seems to have mis-placed the bizarre recently. Where the bizarre element is missing the most is with villans, henchmen.

I mean take f'rinstance the death of Hamilton at the funeral procession in LALD, a ruthless criminal stroking a white cat, Connery in the burining coffin, Nick-Nack, OddJob, JAWS and the metal mouth (much to the chagrin of those folks who were braces), steriod built May-Day, the freaky Baron Samedi or Tee-Hee and the metal arm....!

I'd like to see some of these quirky things back in Bond. What do you think?

#2 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 07:53 PM

Yes I agree..

I sorta notice with the Pierce movies they sorta have these type villians.. but they never let them do anything.. or they tone them down??

I like the cool comic book henchmen of the Sean & Roger movies!! Yu can have a serious Villian, but it is really cool to have that paid henchmen who is crazy or insane looking..

makes them fun movies..

I just don't like the tone down henchmen now, or just copies of henchmen from the past..

#3 sausagebrigade

sausagebrigade

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 03:27 PM

I agree the 'gimmicky' villains should be brought back. I fall asleep when the Brosnan baddies turn up on screen, with the exception of Gustav Graves.

#4 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 06:02 AM

I think it may have something to do with making the Bond films PC. The producers may be wary of inciting any controversies by making light of the handicapped. This is understandable from one point of view but unfortunate from another.

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 04:27 PM

Isn't a chap with a face full of rocks freaky enough?

Pretty sure I would be called a freak if I went down the city high street with all that misplaced jewellery.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:10 PM

They are still there, but in a lower-key way. They have the quirks -- Zao with the diamonds on his face; Stamper with his enjoying pain; Renard's inability to feel pain -- but not outrageous and as memorable as they once were. I'd like a new one who really stands out.

#7 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 01:13 AM

I agree with the return of the "gimmic" villains or henchman. The most memorable for me were Oddjob, Rosa Klebb with the poison shoes, Mr Wint and Mr.Kidd, Baron Samedi, Teehee, Nick Nack, Jaws, guy with chainsaw yo-yo, and finally Xenia Onatopp. The quirks are what has made the Bond villains more interesting and stand out from the cardboard cut-out villains of other action films.

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 06:54 PM

But could anyone envisage the likes of Nick Nack and Jaws in a Brosnan movie - I'm pretty sure he would make short work of all of them - there wouldn't be that much of a threat with the aforementioned.

Maybe it is because things are going down a more realistic route with recent movies - there is always talk of "something not being realistic enough" and maybe this is what is preventing the really freaky, but ultimately, non threatening characters from reappearing.

#9 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 08:43 PM

I'm pretty sure he would make short work of all of them

Are you saying that Brosnan Bond could physically make short work of Jaws or Oddjob? Those two henchman could give any Bond a run for his money in a fight.

Maybe it is because things are going down a more realistic route with recent movies - there is always talk of "something not being realistic enough" and maybe this is what is preventing the really freaky, but ultimately, non threatening characters from reappearing.

I think that although the Brosnan Bond films try empasizing a realistic feel, they still rely on the unrealistic, yet majestic elements of MR, TSWLM, GF, and other Bond films. Look at DAD (which I liked very much). DAD was a deliberate departure from trying to be too serious for its own good. Zao was also an example of a freaky henchman, with the diamonds in his face and his unusual appearance. All I'm saying is that I would like to see them insert more interesting characters with quirks. Zao, Renard, and Xenia were good examples of this kind of character in the Brosnan films.

preventing the really freaky, but ultimately, non threatening characters from reappearing.

As for Oddjob, and Jaws being non threatening, all I got to say is that I don't think Bond would want to meet an assassin who is a seven feet tall behemeth with a jaw of iron, or an equally strong killer, but shorter, possessing a lethal hat with a sharp metal trim.

#10 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 08:55 PM

I agree that DAD went down a "not too serious feel for it's own good" and also agree that it served the series very well. I thoroughly enjoyed DAD for this very reason.

As for threatening henchmen, Zao was far more athletic and capable than Oddjob and Jaws. If, for sake of arguement, any of us met them, they were so cumbersome and slow that if we didn't feel like taking them on, we could simply run away and that would be the end of that argument. I would feel far more threatened if I met Zao because he had an ability that far outweighed mine in every aspect of flight.

I feel this is to reflect Brosnan's own athletic ability. Could you imagine a fight between Jaws and Brosnan? My money would go on Brosnan every time.

But this is to get away from the Bizarro aspect of the thread - maybe my fault. Looking as recently as Renard, Ok, he was a little wierd but the film didn't really play on that aspect to its fullest potential. His capabilty was what was emphasised in that film.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Simon

As for threatening henchmen, Zao was far more athletic and capable than Oddjob and Jaws.  If, for sake of arguement, any of us met them, they were so cumbersome and slow that if we didn't feel like taking them on, we could simply run away and that would be the end of that argument.  

Tilly Masterson tried that tactic in "Goldfinger" and we know what happened to her.

#12 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 11:27 PM

Hmm. Ok, that was designed to trip me up.

Having said that, had Tilly tripped up, she might still have been around to talk to us to this day.

To cross the "t"s and cross the "i"s, we run from Jaws and run and dodge simultaneously from Oddjob. Maybe that last would make us look bizarre!

My head hurts.