15 replies to this topic

#1 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 03:05 AM

Which literary spy/adventurer would you like to see Bond team up with in a novel, if such a thing were possible? My choice is obvious-Simon Templar, the "Robin Hood of Modern Crime", and not just because Roger played them both. O.F.Snelling, in his 007:A Report, pointed out that, of all the other spies/adventurers around at that time(1963), they would probably get along.

#2 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 03:28 AM

I think my choice would be obvious as well. Helm would be torn between respecting Bond as a successful professional and hating him as a careless idealist. It would be a pretty interesting interaction.

#3 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 05:10 PM

I always wanted to see Bond meet Alec Leamus from "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold". The attitudes of Fleming and le Carr

#4 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 09:36 PM

Mine is one that almost happened. I love Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels. He and Fleming were friends and actually discussed writing a novel together where Wolfe, Goodwin, and Bond all got together. Stout's snappy dialogue with the Fleming sweep, or how about Wolfe's gourmet sensibilities meeting Bond's peculiar and particular eating habits. Once again, I wish Fleming had lived longer.

Oh well,

#5 KMHPaladin

KMHPaladin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 01:51 AM

Clinkeroo, that explains Bond's comments about Nero Wolfe in... was it OHMSS? I can't remember. Guess Stout must have gotten a laugh from M's dismissal of the books :).

#6 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:33 AM

I would very much like to see a teamup between Bond & the comic book hero from the 40s, Jap Buster Johnson. Especially in YOLT.

#7 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 08:51 AM

well there was a Bond-Dirk Pitt team up in one of the Dirk Pitt novels, though Bond was using a different name, but the intention was quite clear...

#8 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 06:14 PM

Originally posted by rafterman
well there was a Bond-Dirk Pitt team up in one of the Dirk Pitt novels, though Bond was using a different name, but the intention was quite clear...

Are those Dirk Pitt novels any good, Rafterman?

#9 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 02:46 PM

Ever read Kim Newman's "Dracula" triology? Where historical and fictional character exist side-by-side? Bond pops up in the final, sixties-set "Dracula cha cha cha".

#10 Agent 0011

Agent 0011

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 05:10 PM

i'm gonna go for bond and sydney bristow of alias to team up....could most definetly kick some @$$ then...

or if anyone has read any of daniel silvia's books.....his reoccuring character Gabriel Allon would make an interesting team...that would give some interesting middle eastern settings too.

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 05:14 PM

Bond and the Harrison Ford Jack Ryan, NOT the Ben Lopez Jack Ryan, thank you very much.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Dr Noah
Ever read Kim Newman's "Dracula" triology?  Where historical and fictional character exist side-by-side?  Bond pops up in the final, sixties-set "Dracula cha cha cha".

Really? I never heard of this. What's the name of the book, Dr. Noah? I'd like to get a copy. (And how big is Bond's role?)

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 06:44 PM

Got it. "Judgement of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959." (UK name: "Dracula Cha Cha Cha" -- and just noticed that you said that above, Dr. Noah. Sorry.)

#14 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 12:17 AM

Yes, I'd have to say Ford's Jack Ryan as well. The all-American literary hero teams up with the British gentleman James Bond. Might be interesting to read, if it was ever done. They'd make good drinking buddies, I think.:)

#15 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 01:34 AM

What about Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe. I've never read one of the books, but I've heard they are good.

#16 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:22 AM

Haven't read the Philip Marlowe stories? I envy you the opportunity to read them for the first time. The plots are typical of the Black Mask writers, but the characterizations and prose may be the best of 20th century American literature. Fleming's descriptive passages owe quite a bit to Chandler's beautiful and grand portrayals of LA and its environs.

clinkeroo