19 replies to this topic

#1 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:16 AM

Ok.. I am not a Gun guy... I have NO clue about guns /rifles at all!!

Question: Is there some type of Bullet or something that is filled with Rock Salt???

* I think this is the WORST part of this movie.. that whole scene.. the set up & the actual shooting of the Rifle.. with Rock Salt..

Is this even Possible.. to load Rock Salt into a Rifle? as well as shoot it ...??

:)

#2 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:22 AM

Rifles and side arms fire bullets. Shotguns fire cartrages (sp) theres varying type such as buckshot for example. The shell discharged from a shotgun with rock salt is non lethal what it is basically is a shell fired with rock salt.

#3 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:27 AM

cool interesting! thanks :)

so they fill some shells with rock salt.. hmm

what are they used for?? are they like "blanks"? ??

what are they made for..

interesting

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 05:30 AM

Nope. You see the shotgun doesn't actually fire a shell, it fires what is contained in the shell.

So instead of shooting little pellets of lead, it shoots out salt. You know how salt feels on cracked lips? Imagine that embedded in your skin. It's basically a very painful non-lethal weapon, or that's the intent anyway.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:07 PM

The rock salt shotgun scene in A View To A Kill is my favourite scene in the entire movie. It is actually Roger

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:18 PM

My only problem with this scene is that he continues to fire the useless rifle at the fleeing attackers....why????
Still, I really like this scene in general for much the same reason that Mister Asterix mentiones above...

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:43 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow (edited)
My only problem with this scene is that he continues to fire the useless rifle at the fleeing attackers....why????

Because it’ll hurt them like hell. The weapon is not useless, it’s just not lethal. As we saw it still knocked these fellows on their ***es. No reason to stop making them suffer. :)

#8 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:53 PM

"The rock salt shotgun scene in A View To A Kill is my favourite scene in the entire movie. It is actually Roger

#9 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:46 PM

I like the scene too. WHen he rolls with the gun and comes up shooting, I am like, "Yeah!" That's Bond. Whenever I hear people talking about how much of a pussycat Roger was...hey, he had his moments. I don't think Roger liked them that much, but the filmmakers made him do them. Remember, Roger had to be kicked in the *** just to kick that car over the cliff in For Your Eyes Only.

#10 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
The rock salt shotgun scene in A View to a Kill is my favourite scene in the entire movie. It is actually Roger’s Bond at his most ruthless. I don’t think Dalton was even ever this ruthless. Just remember Bond does not know the gun is filled with rock salt and watch his face in this scene. He is expecting that this gun will blow these guys into little pieces—not just the clean bullet hole of the PPK—yet he stands face-to-face and does not hesitate to pull the trigger. You can see that Roger’s Bond is the cold, heartless killer we know Bond to be. The fact that Stacy loaded the gun with rock salt is the only reason Bond failed to blow these attackers into varing-sized chunks. It’s an absolutely wonderful scene.

:)

You know I never thought of it like that... you changed my mind about the scene..

#11 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:18 PM

AVTAK is a very ruthless film.

Look at zorin - the guys insane at the end with his mass killing from the UZI he uses.

He doesn't even care about mayday (who would lol).

Also ruthless is Moore going after mayday after she butterflies the french guy, he might miss with his PPK (fool) but he is ready to pop her off with no questions asked just cos she killed his source of information.

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Daltonitus
AVTAK is a very ruthless film.

Look at zorin - the guys insane at the end with his mass killing from the UZI he uses.

He doesn't even care about mayday (who would lol).

Also ruthless is Moore going after mayday after she butterflies the french guy, he might miss with his PPK (fool) but he is ready to pop her off with no questions asked just cos she killed his source of information.

Yeah Zorin is one of my favorite Bond villains....That scene with Bond in his study and Zorin gets all serious when he finds out Bond is Licensed to Kill.
Also Walken played him nice and ruthlessly with the shooting of all those men and throwing the KGB agent down the shaft. It certainly was a very ruthless film.

One of the reasons I rank AVTAK very high on my list of Bond movies.

#13 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:30 PM

I guess it can be sometimes easy to overlook how good it is because of 'don't leave me james!' :)

#14 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:53 PM

I agree - it's a good thing that Tanya Roberts made up for this line delivery with her looks.

AS many have said, AVTAK had a nice pace, mix of action, adventure and a storyline relevant even today.

IT's with these last few posts in this topic here that I have now grown to appreciate the ruthless/cold-hearted part of Moore's Bond. You guys are right, Moore's display of Bond in this film is ruthless.

#15 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 08:00 PM

Zorin at the end of that film.. I would say is the MOST INSANE Villian in any Bond Movie..

when he is spraying his machine gun into the mine.. when all the worker were trying to get out of the flooding water..

wow!!

first he starts the flood.. then he troies to kills anyone trying to save their own life

pretty intense:cool:

#16 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:10 AM

Whoever is a Rifle man :)

Post a link to a Gun site that sells "Rock Salt" Rifle Shells...

#17 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 06:54 AM

Go to www.firearmstactical.com and look for Tactical Briefs#10 October 1998-Shotgun Home Defense. That will tell you all you ever wanted to know about different types of shotgun ammunition. Including rock salt!

#18 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 07:00 AM

damn.. very cool!! Thanks for the info;)

I have never heard of Rock Salt Shells.. I thought they made it up in the movie.. which kinda made me hate the scene :)

But not anymore...

thanks
:cool:

#19 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 07:14 AM

No problem. I think it's a great scene. Especially when the first hood to get shot looks down at his chest expecting to see a whacking great hole there.

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 10:37 AM

Originally posted by David Somerset
No problem. I think it's a great scene. Especially when the first hood to get shot looks down at his chest expecting to see a whacking great hole there.

I agree....the fact that Rogers Bond didn't know it was filled with rock salt and proceeds to lay waste (or so he thinks) to the hoods shows a Bond who is a killer - a great scene :)