33 replies to this topic

#1 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 12:01 AM

I thought that on The Man with The Golden Gun when the car flips over the river was a great stunt. But they ruined it with a stupis whooooooop noise. I hate it when they ruin great things like that.

#2 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 12:34 AM

I know exactly what u mean! Dont forget that dreadfull Tarzan roar!
But hey, it was the 70's and the 80's! Peoples judgement's were clouded. (hey im here arnt i :) )

#3 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 01:12 AM

I have sent u a private message ;-)

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 12:42 AM

What about all that music they used to borrow from other films in the 70s? AGGGGHHHHHH!!! Magnificent 7, Lawrence of Arabia, Tara's Theme (from Dr. Zhivago), Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - to name but a few!

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 01:43 AM

Tanger (24 Feb, 2002 01:00 a.m.):
I took the 007 off because it seemed too much of a cliche, everyone putting it at the end of their name. But now it does'nt seem right so I might put it back.
Me and my mate made up the name in German class. We were doing a role-play and you had to say that your brother was lost. You had to say what your surname was so I came up with Tanger. It was fresh in my mind the day I signed up on CBN, so I used it and it sorta stuck.

I think I will put the 007 back on.

I'd leave the 007 off. No need for it; we all know you are a Bond fan.

#6 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:35 AM

I don't know I like TMWTGG, it was okay, at least it is tolerable. BTW I changed my nickname from 7777 to MDSmith, it sounds more real.

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 12:06 AM

I hated that too. i wish they wouldn't go and ruin things like that.

#8 Bond's Lovechild #043

Bond's Lovechild #043

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 10:13 AM

the BMW car-chase in TND was awesome (even if some think it's impossible), and it happens to be my favourite stunt idea.

When i saw the BMW remote control trick in TWINE, i thought it sucked... the heat-seeking missiles should only require the push of button; none that that moving into a lock. (imagine doing that while driving!!!)

But i appreciate it more after seeing comments by the director who said "after the success with the remote-controlled sequence in TND, we wanted to tease the audience a bit".... i must admit, it worked!

In TWINE, brosnan should have started the car remotely, driving it up the pier as Wings appear from the roof.... and it flies into the sky; turning it into a kamazaki plane against one of the helicopters! hahaha... now that is silly (actually, a car with wings has already been done by bond! oops! :)

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 01:03 AM

What about sliding through the Austrian-Czech border in a friggin' 'cello case! And I'd be pretty embarrassed to be one of the sundry Czech soldiers who could not, for the love of God, hit a man and woman travelling--at tops--20km/h in the Stradivarius case!

But it's Tim in the 'cello case, so it's totally serious and Fleming-esque, right? :C

#10 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 01:00 AM

I took the 007 off because it seemed too much of a cliche, everyone putting it at the end of their name. But now it does'nt seem right so I might put it back.
Me and my mate made up the name in German class. We were doing a role-play and you had to say that your brother was lost. You had to say what your surname was so I came up with Tanger. It was fresh in my mind the day I signed up on CBN, so I used it and it sorta stuck.

I think I will put the 007 back on.

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 01:00 AM

General Koskov (03 Mar, 2002 12:56 a.m.):
I too must confess! I listen to TMWTGG soundtrack quite often.
There, I came out and admitted I was a closet-TMWTGG-music-(and music only) fan! :)

The music was fine. It was the rest of the darn film that was the problem.
And to think it starred the likes of Christoper Lee and Desmond Llewelyn. Such great actors should never be associated with such drivel/drivle/drivvle ... well however you spell it.

#12 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 12:54 AM

Huh, i just noticed u changed ur name Tanger! Where the 007 gone?
Btw, y do u go by Tanger?

#13 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 12:55 AM

I too must confess! I listen to TMWTGG soundtrack quite often.

There, I came out and admitted I was a closet-TMWTGG-music-(and music only) fan! :)

#14 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 12:04 AM

Today I did the unthinkable (in many people's minds anyway), I listened to the soundtrack of TMWTGG. Whilst listening to the track 'Let's go get 'em' I realised one thing....John Barry is to blame for the whole kazoo thing! It's there on the soundtrack album meaning that it was part of the score and not an added sound effect. It actually works quite well when just listened to rather than in the film.

But, as Barry is the great master, we'll all let him off on this one. Especially since he said that he had 'an off day' whilst scoring the film, and the fact he had only two weeks to do it in.

#15 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 01:51 AM

Thas what I thought. Tanger sounds better off by itself anyway. Leave of the 007. :)

#16 Bond's Lovechild #043

Bond's Lovechild #043

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 12:04 PM

getting back to the initial topic, yes, i also agree the slide-whistle sound sucked. It is great to hear that other people think so. It would have been better with just silence or even the sound of a gentle breeze... what do u guyz think?

#17 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 08:22 PM

I think powerful music, then when it is up in the air cut the music to add more suspense. Then when it land have the bond theme play and go on with the scene.

#18 Affection

Affection

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 05:11 PM

Friedrich Baxter (25 Feb, 2002 09:44 p.m.):
Do you know which were funny stunts? The corrode Renault 9 from AVTAK, or the hoovercraftgondola from MR. But although they are farfetched, I still like them. Why? Because these stunts last not too long. Must stunts in the Pierce Brosnan Bonds are very much little movies on its own. They are too complexe and they last too long. For instance the motorcycle scene in TND and the destroying of the Caviar Factory in TWINE. The stunts should be.......here I am again with the same thing ..............simple yeat large, so that you can watch the stunts with much more pleasure.

Remember the submarine Lotus?? It's off course ridiculous! I think there's more truth in the remote controlled cars in TWINE. But fact is, that I like the Lotus-stunts much more than the BMW-stunt in TWINE (WAS IT A STUNT?)

The only TRUE Bondian stunt, which was very nice too watch, was the carchase in TND. I still ike the stunts in these particular scenes.

Yes I loved the Lotus, but I don't think it was ridiculous. It had a credibility to it. The Renault 9 was too silly. Stunts for the sake of stunts, with a James Bond actor standing in occassionally for a stuntman.

I'm very disappointed with most of the stunts in Bond, and I really believe they let the movies down. The most silly of all has to be Bond swinging on the fire engine ladder in A View To a Kill. Why did he get on it? It was Buster Keaton.

I prefer the sort of stunts in For Your Eyes Only. All possible. There were moments of real tension, like when Bond was tied up and trawled over the coral reefs.

#19 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 09:44 PM

Do you know which were funny stunts? The corrode Renault 9 from AVTAK, or the hoovercraftgondola from MR. But although they are farfetched, I still like them. Why? Because these stunts last not too long. Must stunts in the Pierce Brosnan Bonds are very much little movies on its own. They are too complexe and they last too long. For instance the motorcycle scene in TND and the destroying of the Caviar Factory in TWINE. The stunts should be.......here I am again with the same thing ..............simple yeat large, so that you can watch the stunts with much more pleasure.

Remember the submarine Lotus?? It's off course ridiculous! I think there's more truth in the remote controlled cars in TWINE. But fact is, that I like the Lotus-stunts much more than the BMW-stunt in TWINE (WAS IT A STUNT?)

The only TRUE Bondian stunt, which was very nice too watch, was the carchase in TND. I still ike the stunts in these particular scenes.

#20 Affection

Affection

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 02:20 PM

I hate most Bond stunts these days. Bond jumps out of a 5th floor window with a cord around a window tied to a body. How does Bond know how long it is? Bond drives his car by remote control over the edge of a multi story car park into a shop window. How does he know he's not going to kill 20 people? Bond drives him QBoat through a cafe. It takes away all tension. Every stunt is silly. Yes have amazing stunts, but as Fleming said the things that happen to Bond may be highly improbable, but they should be possible.

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:31 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the barrel roll also the first time that slow motion had been used in the series?!

#22 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:15 AM

i sure thought it was

#23 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:01 AM

Originally posted by White Knight
I thought that on The Man with The Golden Gun when the car flips over the river was a great stunt. But they ruined it with a stupis whooooooop noise. I hate it when they ruin great things like that.

I agree.. that cheapen the stunt..

the sound guy did ruin a few 007 roger movies in post productions.. well maybe not the whole movie ..but moments..

the tarzan yell is another.

I personally dont liek the beach boys song in AVTAK

#24 Se

Se

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:57 AM

That Beash Boys song screws the entire scene indeed!!!
A little bit like The Clash in DAD. It felt very akward when I heard it in a Bond.

#25 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:49 AM

I have mixed feelings on the Beach Boys. When I first heard it I wasn't thrilled but over the years I have grown to not really mind it. There is so much great skiing action around it.

#26 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 09:52 PM

Did you know: that wasn't the Beach Boys singing that song.. it was a cover band.. because they didn't want to pay for the rights..

as for Death...

how did someone die in FYEO??? which stunt did someone die on???

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 09:59 PM

It was in the snow stuff that a stuntman died on FYEO. I believe it was involving one of those motorcycles but I would have to consult my book on the making of the movie to refresh my memory of the details (and that book is at home in the UK).

#28 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 03:50 AM

damn you have allot of cool 007 stuff!!!!

what can you tell me that most dont know about the making of FYEO..

#29 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 02:32 PM

Well, I'm not sure what people already know about the making of FYEO.

#30 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 08:06 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
It was in the snow stuff that a stuntman died on FYEO. I believe it was involving one of those motorcycles but I would have to consult my book on the making of the movie to refresh my memory of the details (and that book is at home in the UK).

I think somebody was killed when a bobsled turned over during that sequence. I'm not positive, but believe this is what happened.