5 replies to this topic

#1 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 02:33 AM

A lot of people say that the novelization of Licence to Kill is bad. I'm reading it right now, and I don't think its that bad. It's certianly no From Russia With Love, but I enjoy it. Could somebody explain why people do not like this book?

#2 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 03:46 AM

I'm not sure why. I read it a few years ago and I enjoyed it. If I can recall, it did not follow the movie plot exactly in the middle of the story.

#3 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 02:04 PM

Personally, I found it quite amusing. Of course, it's not so good as THE SPY WHO LOVED ME novelization. (No one has yet come close to Wood's work. The only tie-in I respect). Still LTK is on the level with WLOD, NDMB and other good Gardner's works. If I hadn't seen the movie, I would take the LTK novelization as another book in the series. Which I cannot say about the Goldeneye book. GE seem to be a flop.

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 04:07 AM

Definitely not YOLT material, and not as good as Gardner's own Icebreaker, but it isn't all that bad.

I'd classify it with James Bond and Moonraker, the second Wood novelisation which followed the screenplay so closely that I found it tedious to read through. Not that LTK was tedious, but it seems to be the most comparable novelisation--a step above TND and TWINE.

#5 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 11:41 AM

I find the novelization even worse than the movie, and that isn't good. It was poorely written with no lame descriptions of characters and locations. The locations were also very boring, not excotic at all (that is the scripts fault of course).

The LTK novelization was a very poor effort from Mr. Gardner...

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 03:20 PM

From what I remember of the book, I think it was the first time attempts were made to marry the film and literary aspects of Bond together.

To wit, I think some mention was made of Leiter having lost his legs around the time of LALD (book) and then the very same thing happening to him again for LTK. Seemed a strange thing to do since quite obviously in the film he was running as fast as a 50 year old chap can do with intact legs.