10 replies to this topic

#1 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 03:39 AM

Thought this was an interesting image. He looks Lazenby-ish to me here. :)

(Thanks to HMSS for the pic)

#2 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 03:25 PM

I prefer this image :)

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 05:55 PM

Nice Owen pic, thuffner. Very Daltonesque indeed. Don't see the Lazenbyishness myself, but I believe Dalton did a similar pose for a LIVING DAYLIGHTS poster.

As for West, I'm sorry, crashdrive, but I still think he looks effeminate. I'm not just going by your poster, BTW, which I think is a nice bit of design on your part, but by a number of photos I've seen of West playing various roles. He just lacks that essential rough, masculine quality I think Bond ought to have.

But if I had to cast a remake of THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, West could certainly play Saunders, while I'd pick Owen for 007.:)

#4 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 07:31 PM

I agree with your daylights casting scenario, Loomis.

I also agree that West isn't masculine enough for the role.

Owen has my vote.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:14 PM

But it's really hard to judge from those isn't it? Simply because it's an edited picture where he's in full James Bond pose, and an existing James Bond pose at that. I'd rather see him in the actual pose. His actual body, with his weight and height affecting how he stands and looks.

#6 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
But if I had to cast a remake of THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, West could certainly play Saunders, while I'd pick Owen for 007.:)

Wow you really still think Owen could play 007? I thought you'd changed your mind after seeing his GQ Photoshoot. Check out West in The Wire where he plays a much more macho character. Listen to his voice-over (with a terrific American accent) in the "Season 1. - Detective William 'Bunk' Moreland - 1 minute" clip you can check out at this location. You're telling me this guy is not rough & masculine enough?

#7 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:06 PM

I'm liking West more and more for the role. He's got panache and a kind of edginess that Dalton had. You know you really believed he could smack thugs and women around with aplomb. (Not that I condone hitting women, but sometimes Bond has to be tough regardless of sex.) I never really believed Roger Moore when he tried that, Brosnan has that unique quality that allows him to suave and debonair and then he lifts the curtain and you see the ruthless guy that lives beneathe. I see that in West as well. Not I've got to add him to my list of favs, Colin Wells, James Purefoy and now West, by the way the B/W poster of West is absolutely stunning, Bond all the way.

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:16 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

You're telling me this guy is not rough & masculine enough?  

I don't know, crashdrive. I'm only going by a few photos, so I admit I'm on thin ice laying down judgements. As for Owen, I do like that image thuffner provided, but in truth, as I've admitted elsewhere, I don't believe he'd be a suitable Bond (but then again I've yet to see him act).

Might West be perfect as the next 007? You haven't quite sold me yet, crashdrive, but I'm beginning to look on him more favourably.

#9 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Von Hammerstein
West is absolutely stunning, Bond all the way.

I'm thrilled you like West. I absolutely agree with the things you have said. I think West indeed has the edginess to play Bond. If you look at his resume, he hardly ever plays regular characters. He's just too interesting for that.

As for Owen, I do like that image thuffner provided.

If you compare the thuffner image with the poster Marktmurphy created in another thread, you will discover that they always deleted part of Owen's head. Why? Because he's simply too thin to play Bond. Check the following image from Sharman. He plays a tough debonair character, but do you think he looks like an actor who could play James Bond? I sure don't.

Might West be perfect as the next 007?

Perfect? To be honest, I really don't know. But I am sure he's a darn fine candidate who deserves the attention a 'Clive Owen' is getting. And maybe (maybe), that attention could land him the role. Be sure you check out the clip I've linked to earlier.

#10 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:58 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

Wow you really still think Owen could play 007? I thought you'd changed your mind after seeing his GQ Photoshoot. Check out West in The Wire where he plays a much more macho character. Listen to his voice-over (with a terrific American accent) in the "Season 1. - Detective William 'Bunk' Moreland - 1 minute" clip you can check out at this location. You're telling me this guy is not rough & masculine enough?

All the movie's work but you movie not.

#11 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:51 AM

Nice Owen pic, thuffner. Very Daltonesque indeed. Don't see the Lazenbyishness myself, but I believe Dalton did a similar pose for a LIVING DAYLIGHTS poster.

I was saying he kind of looks like Lazenby. I am not saying his pose is Lazenby-ish, but rather, his facial features.