25 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 08:39 PM

Does anyone know why Desmond Llewellyn "Q" didnt appear in Roger Moore's first Bond film LALD?

#2 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 08:55 PM

There are 3 stories that explain his absence:

1) He was in south america doing publicity for DAF (he told this to John Cork - its highly doubtful that he would be doing publicity almost 2 years after the films release though)

2) He was working on a play

3) Saltzman told him "We won't be using you in this one". This is what Desmond says in his autobiography, and it's certainly the most credible. Since it's just handing him a watch, there was no real reason to have a Q scene.

#3 Se

Se

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:17 PM

I don't believe it's the 3d.
Why would they just let out one of the most popular scenes in a Bond film?

#4 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:38 PM

Perhaps to add more to the already different, unusual feeling of the film? Poor Roger never even got to say, "My name is Bond, James Bond" before he was cut off by Mr. Big/Kananga.

#5 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 10:08 PM

According to the LALD DVD, it was decided to remove a few Sean Connery trademarks to give Moore's Bond his own identity. First of these to go was the Q scene. It also explains why Moore asks for bourbon rather than a vodka martini in the Fillet Of Soul and why there is no M's office scene.

#6 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 11:19 AM

I always understood he was just unavailable because he was filming the TV series "Follyfoot" which ran from 1971-1973.

#7 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 12:08 PM

Sulking after his lackluster performance in DAF.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Red Grant
I always understood he was just unavailable because he was filming the TV series "Follyfoot" which ran from 1971-1973.

You are correct. This is the reason I have always heard for the absence of a Q scene.

Since the Q scene is one of the things people look forward to in a Bond movie (as recognized by Bond producer Micheal Wilson on the OHMSS DVD) its doubtful Saltzman would have just offhandedly ejected the scene.
I would guess that when the original script was written there was a substantial Q scene, however when it became apparent Desmond wouldn't be available they toned down the gadgetry. After all, the least gadget ridden 007 movie (OHMSS) has quite a bit of Desmond.

#9 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 01:19 PM

Originally posted by RITZ
Sulking after his lackluster performance in DAF.

This foolish !! In LALD the director , Guy Hamilton make a strong effort to not have any referances to Connery as that why there is no "Q" scene with him .Plus not scene where he introduces himself as Bond , James Bond. This was did to help ease Moore into the role slowly . Unlike Lazenby in "OHMSS".

#10 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 05:34 PM

I think that they wanted to avoid the "mistake" they made in OHMSS and rather than have the movie over-shadowed by the Connery era, make a clean break from it and have a "fresh" Bond who wasn't a Connery "wanna-be".

Hence, no Q scene, Moore never wears a Tux, orders a Vodeka Martini and rather than be briefed in the office, M comes to him.

It works I think, because Moore is allowed to imprint his personality on the role.

#11 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:43 PM

My first message didn't make it...

Is this the only film Q does not appear in for the Bond series?

I like the beginning of this film, quick 3 scenes, you have to watch it - and nice for Moore as well, having that sexy Italian girl in his bed...

#12 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:53 PM

Originally posted by goldengun
My first message didn't make it...

Is this the only film Q does not appear in for the Bond series?  

I like the beginning of this film, quick 3 scenes, you have to watch it - and nice for Moore as well, having that sexy Italian girl in his bed...

I think this was the only movie Q didn't appear in. In Dr. No Q was played by someone other than Desmond and was called Major Boothroyd. It was either in FRWL or GF that he was called Q instead Major Boothroyd.

#13 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 02:37 PM

It's sad that he missed out on LALD, but it doesn't make him any less of a legend.

#14 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:35 PM

I'd hate to break this to some of you, but Roger did actually say the whole line, "My name is Bond...James Bond." He got the whole line out before someone spoke. He says the line to Solitaire.

No cigarettes. Roger smoke cigars. He still goes through the hotel room looking for bugs, though.

Live and Let Die was made in 1972-1973 and it shows in the worst possible ways.

#15 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 04:26 PM

Everytime I see Moore being driven around Harlem in that cab, I literally hear the Shaft theme tune bellowing through my brain.

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Scottlee
Everytime I see Moore being driven around Harlem in that cab, I literally hear the Shaft theme tune bellowing through my brain.

Does that mean the soundtrack was "bad" to you . "Shaft" was a great film , with a great soundtrack . LALD is a underrated film . Considering it follow the adventures of Fat-boy Connery . Chasing after Blofeld as Noel Coward musical comedy star . In the form of Charles Gray . George Martin did a nice score for the film (LALD) . It was the first and best of the non-John Barry Bond scores .

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:39 PM

I hate to break it to you, but Desmond was off making a TV series at the time LALD was made...and that's the only reason there is no Q scene....nothing more complicated than that!

#18 dracokristatos

dracokristatos

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:59 PM

I remember watching a Desmond Llewelyn documentary shortly after TWINE came out. He said that they "cut my seen out of that one", refering to Live and Let Die. Though he didn't make it clear whether it was cut out at scripting stage, so was never filmed, or was filmed but not included.

#19 Jaws99

Jaws99

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:39 PM

If the scene was cut out - it would have been an excellent addition to the LALD DVD.....

#20 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 03:05 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
I hate to break it to you, but Desmond was off making a TV series at the time LALD was made...and that's the only reason there is no Q scene....nothing more complicated than that!

Yes...I mentioned this earlier in the post. Why does nobody believe us?:)

Originally posted by Jaws99
If the scene was cut out - it would have been an excellent addition to the LALD DVD.....

He never filmed anything for LALD so why would this scene exist?:)

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 03:23 PM

Whether he was filming a TV show or just not written into the script . He was not there. The scene work very fine with "M" and Moneypenny in Bond's apartment . It was a small scale Bond adventure . The producers wanted too get away from the mess of DAF . They did a good job.

#22 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 06:50 PM

Why there give Desmond Llewelyn not the Home of Bond Scene with Roger and Lois.
Bernard Lee veels his not good at the time and there hat plant an other actor to play M.
But on the last moment,Bernard Lee play M.
As there did that there don't have search to an new M,Bernard Lee and Desmond Happy.

#23 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 08:14 PM

LALD was not written by Richard Maibaum . So that may be a small reason as to why Desmond Llewelyn was not given a scene in the film . Outside of the watch (Rolex) , there are no gadgetry to speak of in the film . The film does not suffer in any way from his ("Q) absent .

#24 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 08:40 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
LALD was not written by Richard Maibaum . So that may be a small reason as to why Desmond Llewelyn was not given a scene in the film . Outside of the watch (Rolex) , there are no gadgetry to speak of in the film .  The film does not suffer in any way from his ("Q) absent .

I agree with you, the film did not suffer from the absence of "Q". I think LALD is the best Bond film ever. However, many fans were disappointed because the "Q" scene is what many fans look forward to in a Bond film.

#25 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
I agree with you, the film did not suffer from the absence of "Q". I think LALD is the best Bond film ever. However, many fans were disappointed because the "Q" scene is what many fans look forward to in a Bond film.

The irony is that "Q" was in "TMWTGG" . And has up until Desmond Llewelyn's death in 1999 . Been in every Bond film with every new Bond . Which meant he when from colleague to mentor . I love LALD . Moore did a good job , especially after Lazenby . And Connery's return . it was the first and the best of the non-John Barry score . here was much more stunts that were left out of the film . Especially the boat chase !!

#26 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 12:00 AM

Here was what . when if the boond shall LADL left q with moore after OHMSS score . Barries flue after james...

Sorry, just caught a slight cold there.

It would appear strange that Q was left high and dry for LALD just for a filming clash between his TV series and a film that took several months to secure.

Q's scenes took maybe a good weekend to film. Big deal. For DAF they flew Lois Maxwell in for her scene, wrote her into uniform with a hat to cover up her dyed hair for some other production, and ensured she was all present and correct for her tenure.

If they had wanted Q present, I'm sure it could have been done. I think it just laziness, or someone forgot.