21 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 06:00 PM

Maybe this a crazy idea, but why not change the title of LICENCE TO KILL back to LICENCE REVOKED for the new DVD (and maybe a limited theatrical release). I mean, the LTK ad campaign from '89 is best forgotten anyway, and what would this really involve? The old poster art exists and it's great. So all they need to do is change the DVD cover, slap the new title on the main credits and, bingo!, we have the film back to what it always should have been called. Think of it as a restoration. Afterall, Eon always wanted this title, but it was MGM marketing who nixed it.

#2 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 06:18 PM

Good idea ! But it was nixed since EON thought Americans were to stupid to understand the meaning of the word "REVOKED". But it's meaningless now since most Bond fan hate the film any.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 06:41 PM

I think it was MGM who thought this. It sounds more like an MGMism.

And I wouldn't say "most" fans hate it. I think most "fans" like it.

#4 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 07:01 PM

Originally posted by zencat
I think it was MGM who thought this. It sounds more like an MGMism.
And I wouldn't say "most" fans hate it. I think most "fans" like it.

Okay . I like the film . I believe it set the path to a reurn to Fleming's Bond . After the excess of "AVTAK" . Since not all of the Moore Bond are bad.

#5 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 12:29 AM

Yes! Putting 'Licence Revoked' would be brilliant. Then the new DVD can have an 'LR' poster picture, instead of the TLD 'Bond in a jacket' picture...

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 12:48 AM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
Good idea ! But it was nixed since EON thought Americans were to stupid to understand the meaning of the word "REVOKED".  But it's meaningless now since most Bond fan hate the film any.

Your wrong. I have seen every Bond movie made and LTK is one of the best Bond movies ever. It has a great plot and one of the most unforgetable villians ever in a Bond movie.

#7 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 01:20 AM

it's a much better title and well it should be an easy thing considering they've changed the title of Raiders of the Lost Ark long after it was in theaters, so why not change LTK?

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 02:00 AM

Excellent idea, zen. But I wouldn’t do it unless it is a new cut of the film. Director’s cut. Special Edition. Whatever. I wouldn’t just do a straight title change.

Originally posted by kevrichardson (edited)
...But it was nixed since EON thought Americans were to stupid to understand the meaning of the word "REVOKED"...

This was always a big misunderstanding. What MGM felt was that Americans would associate the word revoked in this context with driver’s licences. Americans know the word revoked, but is almost always used when refering to driver’s licences.

#9 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 02:18 AM

It is what it is so leave the title alone. As for a director's cut, it would take a lot of work to lose the 80s feel of this film which would be critical if you wanted it to appeal to new audiences. Somehow TLD, AVTAK and OP don't feel as dated to me.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 02:29 AM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
Excellent idea, zen. But I wouldn’t do it unless it is a new cut of the film. Director’s cut. Special Edition. Whatever. I wouldn’t just do a straight title change.

Yes, a Director's Cut with the cut scenes restored. That would be sweet.

#11 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 02:33 AM

I don't think LTK should be changed in any way. I like the film how it is. Changing it would be totally unnescessary.

#12 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 06 March 2003 - 04:33 AM

I prefer the title Licence To Kill. I like the "Kill" bit

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
Your wrong. I have seen every Bond movie made and LTK is one of the best Bond movies ever. It has a great plot and one of the most unforgetable villians ever in a Bond movie.

Nothing wrong with the film . If you read the thread title it is about changing the title of the movie. Not a judgement on the film.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 01:27 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Maybe this a crazy idea, but why not change the title of LICENCE TO KILL back to LICENCE REVOKED for the new DVD (and maybe a limited theatrical release). I mean, the LTK ad campaign from '89 is best forgotten anyway, and what would this really involve? The old poster art exists and it's great. So all they need to do is change the DVD cover, slap the new title on the main credits and, bingo!, we have the film back to what it always should have been called. Think of it as a restoration. Afterall, Eon always wanted this title, but it was MGM marketing who nixed it.

I guess I must be one of the few "hardcore Bond fans" who actually prefers the title LICENCE TO KILL. I'm also very pleased it was released Stateside and internationally with "licence" spelt the British way.

I don't think the word "revoked" belongs in the title of an action adventure movie. Too stiff and stodgy IMHO. LICENCE TO KILL is much sleeker and sexier, and immediately conjures up images of Bond.:cool:

Besides, if they changed the title for a re-release, would they get Gladys Knight back to record a new title song? "Got my licence revoked, and you know I'm going straight for your heart."

But, as one of the biggest LTK fans on these forums, I'd say that an extended "director's cut" for DVD and/or a theatrical re-issue with or without previously unseen footage would be SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!:)

#15 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:19 PM

Since Benicio Del Toro is now a bigger star and better actor then Dalton, will he get top billing?

#16 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 07:01 PM

Just curious, but when people state their opinions on whether they like the title Licence to Kill or Licence Revoked better, could you also tell us which title you heard first?

Myself, I heard (and saw) the title Licence Revoked during the film’s production and had plenty of time to get excited about it as a title. So I was quite disappointed with the title change. Perhaps if it had gone the other way I would have preferred Licence to Kill.

#17 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 07:04 PM

And as a postscript: At the time there was a rumour flying about that the film following Licence Revoked would be Licence Renewed based on the Gardner novel. So that added an extra excitement to it all.

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 07:09 PM

License Renewed would have a been a spectacular follow-up, only if License Revoked would have been the balls to the wall breakout hit MGM and Eon had intended it to be. Released in 1991 or even 1992, it could have been the 30th anniversary film we never got, which could have included a lot of homages like Die Another Day had. Oh, if only....

#19 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 09:26 PM

Just curious, but when people state their opinions on whether they like the title Licence to Kill or Licence Revoked better, could you also tell us which title you heard first?

Myself, I heard (and saw) the title Licence Revoked during the film’s production and had plenty of time to get excited about it as a title. So I was quite disappointed with the title change. Perhaps if it had gone the other way I would have preferred Licence to Kill.

I remember it being Licence Revoked. I heard it in the summer of '88 sometime, although I'm not sure exactly where.

One cool thing I remember from that period was seeing the name in print in USA Today. They were touting an art contest for somebody to come up with poster art for Licence Revoked. I don't think anything ever came of it, especially with the rejected line of posters that emerged from Bob Peak and others.

#20 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 11:55 PM

Yeah, I remember the whole Licence Revoked thing. Heard that first, heard about the driving licence, remember feeling that LTK was perhaps the blander title. I didn't see any artwork out of what was in the 007 magazine. I've no idea whether that was an official art rendition of the title or just somehting that Graham Rye and co drummed up.

#21 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 05:47 PM

"Yes, a Director's Cut with the cut scenes restored. That would be sweet"

Yeah, it could be even more dull and tedious. :)

"Licence To Kill" is a very generic title (any Bond could have been called that, though ironically they chose it for a movie where Bond DOESN'T have one :) )

It has also been used before, it was the Italian title of Dr No and was also used in 1965 for a British spy move called "Licenced To Kill" (I think that the US title was "The 2nd Best Secrt Agent In The Whole D***ed World") which was sucessful enough to have a sequel, called "Where The Bullets Fly".

I guess the lack of imagination in the title reflects the movie :)

#22 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:27 PM

I don't really see the point in changing the title now. It doesn't really affect anything at this point. LICENCE REVOKED fits the film better, sure, but it's pointless now.