18 replies to this topic

#1 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 05:51 PM

How come Roger Moore was not given more narrative time on the actual movies when seen on the DVD's?

You see him interviewed during the "Making OF" features, but I always wanted to hear Roger reveal something not seen, something of interest some reminiscent anecdote from any of the movies.

We get the directors involved, and that's fine - but why are we missing Roger's take? Anyone???

ALso - what Moore DVD do you consider to be the best of the 7?

I like LALD - that was well done and gave a lot of information. The narration done by the 4 guys on the TSWLM is great - they have good fun on that one!!

#2 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 07:04 PM

Roger would probably rather talk about UNICEF and his charitable organizations now, which is fine. He's put Bond behind him. He does his bit they ask of him, and he moves on.

Favorite of the 7? Spy and For Your Eyes Only.

Commentaries on these are good. I remember Lewis Gilbert on Spy and Moonraker, along with Chris Wood and Michael Wilson. Ken Adam might have been on them, too. Can't wait to hear Pierce on the DAD commentary.

#3 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 09:58 AM

Well, LALD didn't have the best of transfers and TMWTGG won't work on some DVD players I've tried, same with AVTAK.

I'd agree with ChandlerBing, for once. :)

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 11:48 AM

i would say avtak, and i am so glad that my fav. bond movie works on my player

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 03:44 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
i would say avtak, and i am so glad that my fav. bond movie works on my player

AAAaaahh, another man of exceptional taste...I love AVTAK.
I like the commentaries on TSWLM and MR the most (because they are screen specific) but does anyone know why there is an 11 to 12 minute gap in the commentary for TSWLM??!!
Also, if you listen to the Tom M. commentary for LALD you can hear him yawning during the opening credit sequence -- wake up Tom you still have a couple of hours to cover.

#6 Jaws99

Jaws99

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 05:19 PM

I love the MR DVD. Also, my LALD and TMWTGG work fine....

MR has good outtakes featured at the end of the "Making Of Documentary"...

Still love the opening scene.

#7 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 07:45 PM

TMWTGG and AVTAK didn't work on my DVD-ROM, they work fine on all my other players.

#8 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 09:09 PM

I'd say LALD and AVTAK are the best for content, although the others, with the exception of MR, do a good job.

MR seems like it was just thrown together, which is strange considering it is one of the most financially successful films in the series, some people's feelings about aside. No teaser trailer or TV spots make it seem lacking whereas the others seem positively packed.

On another note, my TMWTGG doesn't work right either.

#9 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 02:34 AM

I ran into the playing problem on AVTAK and figured out a way around it. I used the "program" feature on my remote and programmed it to play all the tracks under a certain chapter (maybe 2). At any rate, it skipped the intro that it couldn't "activate." Experiment with the program feature and I bet you get it to work.

#10 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:30 AM

Originally posted by Turn
I'd say LALD and AVTAK are the best for content, although the others, with the exception of MR, do a good job.  

MR seems like it was just thrown together, which is strange considering it is one of the most financially successful films in the series, some people's feelings about aside. No teaser trailer or TV spots make it seem lacking whereas the others seem positively packed.  

On another note, my TMWTGG doesn't work right either.

i wonder what the deal is with tmwtgg DVD, MINE FREEZES UP WHEN BOND GOES IN THE CAR DEALERSHIP...THE CAR THAT J. W. IS IN, right at that point, do we all have screwed up discs?

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 05:15 PM

Get the Octopussy DVD, so you can see the God-Awful James Brolin screentest footage.

#12 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 09:18 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Get the Octopussy DVD, so you can see the God-Awful James Brolin screentest footage.

If EON has a policy against Americans playing Bond, it makes you wonder how a guy like Brolin ever got a screen test to begin with.

#13 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 09:20 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
i wonder what the deal is with tmwtgg DVD, MINE FREEZES UP WHEN BOND GOES IN THE CAR DEALERSHIP...THE CAR THAT J. W. IS IN, right at that point, do we all have screwed up discs?

That's exactly where mine freezes too. I've had mine since October of 2000. I've heard you can contact MGM for a replacement, but have just never gotter around to it. Supposedly, the problem is the DVD only has this problem on certain players. You'd think since that first release that they could come up with a better way to make sure the next batch wouldn't have that problem.

#14 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 09:51 PM

TSWLM DVD is one of my favorites. I especially like "Bond 77" playing during the menu/seteup screen...

#15 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 10:19 PM

That's exactly where mine freezes too. I've had mine since October of 2000. I've heard you can contact MGM for a replacement, but have just never gotter around to it. Supposedly, the problem is the DVD only has this problem on certain players. You'd think since that first release that they could come up with a better way to make sure the next batch wouldn't have that problem.

it does it on my playstation 2, but its worse on my computer, i have played many movies on my computer, no prob. its just the man with the golden gun, and yes you would think that the new ones coming out would not have that problem

#16 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 07:39 AM

TMWTGG only freezes on my old DVD-ROM (when Nick Nack exits the sporting thing). A VTAK only has problems with the start on some players

#17 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 07:41 AM

If EON has a policy against Americans playing Bond, it makes you wonder how a guy like Brolin ever got a screen test to begin with.

They have a policy? That's bull.

#18 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 09:20 AM

I ws wondering why the producers.. did a half azz job on some of his Special Features on the DVD's? for one Octopussy.. the commentary track is only 1 guy.. ???

the funny thing is when you turn off Octopussy.. the show a still fame of Diamonds are forever..

I guess NO one buy that one huh?? They had to promote the boring piece of **** some how.. I guess putting it on the one that has the MOST Video Rentals of all time.. and really the most Popular with the younger crowd..

had to do something;)

#19 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 09:12 PM

Does anyone know if there will be a second generration release for the DVD's?

It would be kind of hard to add anything further, except for perhaps more narration from the actors themselves.

ALso maybe address some of the playing problems some of you have encountered while playing the DVD.