15 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 02:01 PM

Saw a poster for his new film Equalibrium here in the UK, dressed very smart, a good potential Bond, young now, but still mature, and got some years in advance to wait for Bond after Pierce.

#2 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 02:07 PM

I've seen it too - very "Matrix" like. Does have that mean look to him(just check out American Psycho). A possible future Bond candidate.

#3 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 02:21 PM

I've seen Amercian Psycho, not only does he have that I'm smart and well dressed style, he's a very good actor, good combination. And in his early 30s, still be younger then when Pierce started in GE, a strong candidate, who I think is not talked about here as much as I think he should be.

Hugh Jackman-instant appeal from movie fans world over easily.
Christian Bale, got more years to develop, but would look distinquished, and is English to top it off.

#4 Trueman Lodge

Trueman Lodge

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 06:47 PM

I think that Christian Bale should be a serious candidate. I don't think there is any great problem with him being younger than Brosnan when he stared in Goldeneye. It should mean that he will be able to play the role for a number of years. Vote for him in the poll on the other thread in this forum.

#5 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 06:55 PM

Personally I don't like Bale as Bond. I can't dismiss him, since he's got the look, the resume and the height. He's made some negative comments on the casting process of EON, so that could put him out of the race. Also, I doubt Bale would like to play a character like Bond who doesn't really have a lot of depth. Bale chooses his projects carefully and he tries to play as many different types of characters. I don't think he would sign a three picture deal.

Also I don't think Bale would be likable enough for a casual fan. Brosnan possessed many of the characteristics you mentioned earlier (well dressed, mean), but he was also very entertainting to watch. Bale is best when playing sinister characters like bad guys or leading men who are flawed. Maybe he was just too good at playing Patrick Bateman, I just can't see him play another believable character. All my humble opinion of course.

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 10:19 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
He's made some negative comments on the casting process of EON, so that could put him out of the race.  

What was it he said about the above??

Cheers.

#7 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 10:54 PM

If I remember right he said something about how a producer like Broccoli will not be interested in him as an actor but as a model who looks like a James Bond who just so happens to be a good actor. I'll try to find the source for this.

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 10:59 PM

Hmm, OK. By the sounds of it he's not going all out to ingratiate himself for his own ends. Still think his attitude could shake things up a bit though.

Thanks for that.

#9 Rayliottaasbond

Rayliottaasbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:58 PM

he aint even in his 30's yet

#10 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Rayliottaasbond
he aint even in his 30's yet

Yeah, but Connery was only in his mid-thirties when he starred in Dr. No. The last four Bond movies have been very physically demanding on the lead actor so maybe EON should return to the idea of a younger man in the role. Especially if their intention is to produce more action orientated, DAD style films.

#11 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:46 PM

Here is the poster by the way. (Click on the image for a larger version)
Posted Image
Personally I can't see Bale as Bond. And Bale has said in interviews he would not like to play a character like Bond repeatedly. Since EON wants an actor who would agree to sign a three picture deal, I doubt they would offer the role to Bale.

#12 Bryan Harris

Bryan Harris

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 05:31 AM

Interestingly, Bale seems to have changed his tune somewhat. Take his comments in this interview with Moviehole.net from last year:

http://www.moviehole....php?newsid=201

The net is abuzz that you're about to be offered the parts of Batman and 007. Are you interested? And if it came down to a choice, which character would you play?

(...)Actually both characters would be a dream come true, wouldn't it? James Bond is every British actor's Holy Grail in many ways - the most recognized British character on the big screen(...) I'd love to do either part but I'd also worry about being typecast. James Bond in the new Millennium has so much potential - in the new movie XXX, the Bond character is skewered as being out of step for our times - Bond is in dire need of updating(.)"

#13 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 06:48 AM

In earlier interviews Bale was comparing his American Psycho character to Bond (they're both murdering misogynists...) and now it's XXX (in dire need of updating indeed...). Somehow I don't think with remarks like these he's going to get the keys to the kingdom... at least I hope not.

#14 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 10:16 AM

I'm hoping Rufus Sewell gets the job. He's out of the public eye enough to be an unknown/but somewhat known for Bond. EON seem to like established actors, but who are not in the limelight. I think Bale might be too well known (especially as Patrick Bateman), and I don't think his face when he talks is sophisticated enough, he has a lisp of some sort.

#15 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 10:31 AM

mkkbb, I really doubt Sewell will have a shot. He's just not good-looking enough to play Bond. He's more believable as a villain. Put him in the Greg Wise/ Paul McGann category.
As for Bale, well, that is a really interesting quote. I'm not sure I'd want to see him as Bond, but I guess he's still in the running.

#16 Killmaster

Killmaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 05:41 PM

Bale COULD be an interesting choice, but I see him as more of a Dalton Bond than as a Brosnan Bond... very dark and brooding and serious. (Nothing wrong with that... I happened to like Dalton's interpretation.) Also, keep in mind it will probably (hopefully) be at least 5 or 6 years before Pierce steps down and a replacement is needed. Bale may "age" into the role, much the same way as Dalton and Brosnan did when their times arrived.