6 replies to this topic

#1 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 07:15 PM

Take a pick at one of these. Which are your favorite Dalton films? Please feel free to add some more that I may have overlooked(i haven't seen all of them):

The Lion In Winter 1968
Wuthering Heights 1970
Agatha 1979
Flash Gordon 1980
The Doctor and the Devils 1985
The Living Daylights 1987
Licence To Kill 1989
The Rocketeer 1991
Saltwater Moose 1996
Passions Way 1997
Made Men 1999
Possessed 2000
American Outlaws 2001

RITZ's personal favourites: Agatha, TLD, LTK, Rocketeer, Made Men.

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:47 PM

My personal non-Bond Dalton favorite is a little movie from 1988 or so called Hawks. He and Anthony Edwards of ER fame play terminal cancer patients who don't let it stop them from living.

Edwards is a newly diagnosed patient who goes to a hospice and Dalton, who is also staying there, has accepted his fate and tries to get Edwards to overcome his inhibitions. They escape the hospice and go on an adventure in the Netherlands or somewhere like that (it's been years since I've seen this).

It's not as grim as it may sound, and Dalton plays it really light here as the guy who knows he literally has nothing to live for, so he figures why let it stop him from having a good time. Julie T. Wallace, who was in TLD, plays one of the nurses in the hospital.

#3 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 04:09 PM

The Living Daylights -- Dalton was the no-nonsense, take charge Bond that we had been hoping for so long during the Moore years.

#4 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 06:03 PM

I agree with ooSe7en.

The Living Daylights is Dalton's best work. Although the film has a slightly confusing plot, weak women & villains - his performance elevates it to masterpiece status.

#5 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 10:18 PM

I haven't seen HAWKS (1988) - but will look into that.
TLD is in a class of its own - a significant high point of Dalton's career.

But what other Dalton films do members of CBN like?

Have the DALTONITE's gone to sleep? Where are they all?

#6 _JW_

_JW_

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:33 AM

I'm awake.

Is it right for me to say that my favorite Dalton performance in a film was as James Bond? Because LTK is just amazing in my opinion. I just saw The Rocketeer the other day and thought that poor Tim must have had a sore back after carrying the rest of the cast through that movie.

I haven't seen Made Men. Is it any good?

#7 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:01 PM

Made Men (1999) is pretty entertaining. Dalton plays a corrupt Texan police officer called "Dex Drier"(or something like that) who stubles upon a couple of fugitives John Belushi and some other guy. I saw it a couple of years ago and can't remember the full story but thats about it.

I must see it again to refresh my memory