This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Which author would you most like to take over from Raymond Benson?

31 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:39 AM

Pretend you're the head honcho at Ian Fleming Publications. You've decided to relaunch the literary Bond series with a new author. Money's no object, and you can pick any writer in the world regardless of how much he or she would cost (I'm sure the reality would be very different for IFP, but let's all just make believe here) apart from Benson (I don't want this thread to turn into another debate as to whether Benson's the man for the job, so please choose someone other than Benson even if you're one of his most ardent supporters).

So who would you choose?

Here's my choice: PAUL THEROUX.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:18 AM

Interesting choice. Paul Theroux is possibly my favorite author. But is he right for Bond? I'm not sure. What about Jeffery Archer?

For some reason, I'd like to see Stephen King do a Bond book. I think he would only do one, but I think he would do something very interesting. What about Clive Barker? I know these are horror guys, but somehow I think they'd be able to pull off a Bond.

#3 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:26 AM

Not that it would happen, I would love to see a Bond novel by Clive Cussler, Grandmaster of Adventure Fiction. But being that he has a successful novel franchise of his own (soon to be turned into a series of movies), I can't see him doing it (not to mention the fact that he's in his 70s kinda counts him out).

The writer that I would pick is Lee Child, a brilliant British mystery writer who has a detective character named Jack Reacher (an American, oddly enough).

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:34 AM

Yep, the more I think about it the more I think Stephen King should do the next Bond book. I think imagination and a sense of what's authentically macabre is a requirement. Imagine the villain he'd come up with? The settings? And the situations Bond would find himself in? It would be amazing. And he's an incredible writer. Also, if Stephen Kind did a Bond it would get MAJOR attention and a HUGE printing. A Bond book would be a bestseller again.

And it if worked, follow on with that formula -- a star author per book. Dick Francis does a Bond horse racing adventure. Michael Crition does a high-concept Bond of some type. Every book would be an event. And I bet IFP could get these guys to write on percentage only. You know they all read and were probably influenced by Fleming when they were young, and would find it fun to do a Bond.

If I were IFP I'd be seeking out these mega a-list authors and pitching them hard on this idea. THIS would reenergize the literary Bond for sure.

#5 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:02 AM

If Cussler gives it a crack, then I'd be satisfied...

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:11 AM

Originally posted by zencat
...Dick Francis does a Bond horse racing adventure...

Whoops. I think he died recently, didn't he? Well, that would definitely make news if he did a Bond book then. :)

Yes, Clive Cussler could join my all star line-up idea.

#7 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:13 AM

tom clancy

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 February 2003 - 06:20 AM

Yep, the more I think about it the more I think Stephen King should do the next Bond book.  I think imagination and a sense of what's authentically macabre is a requirement. Imagine the villain he'd come up with? The settings? And the situations Bond would find himself in? It would be amazing.

Hmm, remake the You Only Live Twice novel and call it Shatterhand or Garden Of Death. But set in Maine. :)

Archer, I think, would be a good choice because I think he'd really want to do at least one.

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 08:00 AM

The Lord Archer "writing" Bond would at the very least guarantee the literary series some publicity.

I'm not sure Dick Francis is dead, but he might have retired.

I'm pretty sure Gerald Seymour is dead which is a pity because he would have been fine.

Ken Follett?

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Jim
Another thought - it's not so much the wirters as their agents one has to get through to - and any lengthy contracts one would have to renegotiate around. Look for someone who doesn't have a current book deal/publisher.

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Jim
Another thought - it's not so much the wirters as their agents one has to get through to - and any lengthy contracts one would have to renegotiate around. Look for someone who doesn't have a current book deal/publisher.

I remind you, Jim, that we're supposed to be playing "let's pretend" here. The object is to find out who we'd most like to be hired to write Bond, not to discuss who's likely to land the "gig" and who isn't. The concept of "being realistic" has already been shown the door here; as I put it in my first post on this thread: "Money's no object, and you can pick any writer in the world regardless of how much he or she would cost (I'm sure the reality would be very different for IFP, but let's all just make believe here)."

zencat, Stephen King is a terrific suggestion, and one that I was about to put forward myself before settling on Paul Theroux. I still stand by my choice of Theroux - how many novelists in the world have travelled more and describe exotic locations better? Theroux can write thriller plots, sex, knows England and the English extremely well, etc. etc. Read "Kowloon Tong" to understand why I feel he'd be top of my wish list for Bond.

Jim, Ken Follett is another fine suggestion.

Graham Greene - why did he have to die? Anthony Burgess might also have been good, although he might well have come up with something that was one part purer-Fleming-than-Fleming-himself to two parts esoteric, self-indulgent balderdash.

As for Jeffrey Archer, well, at least one could say that he's "personally researched" a number of the less savoury aspects of Bond's life: imprisonment, call girls, criminal schemes.... All he'd need to do is round up another writing team, and he's good to go. No doubt his Bond would live in a swish penthouse flat with a staggering view of London, where he'd live on shepherd's pie and Krug. He'd also be an Oxford graduate (although he'd insist that his First in Oriental Languages at Cambridge was also genuine) and former running champion. "In his student days, Bond had briefly managed a quartet of scruffy Liverpudlian youths who'd formed a band. Later they went on to achieve a measure of fame as The Beatles, although Bond had told them that he felt ear muffs were essential to appreciation of their raucous 'rock' songs."

Not sure how Archer is perceived in the US, but in the UK the mere mention of his name is enough to elicit a snort of derisive laughter from practically anyone.

#12 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:33 PM

Yep, the more I think about it the more I think Stephen King should do the next Bond book.  I think imagination and a sense of what's authentically macabre is a requirement. Imagine the villain he'd come up with? The settings? And the situations Bond would find himself in? It would be amazing. And he's an incredible writer. Also, if Stephen Kind did a Bond it would get MAJOR attention and a HUGE printing. A Bond book would be a bestseller again.

And it if worked, follow on with that formula -- a star author per book. Dick Francis does a Bond horse racing adventure. Michael Crition does a high-concept Bond of some type. Every book would be an event. And I bet IFP could get these guys to write on percentage only. You know they all read and were probably influenced by Fleming when they were young, and would find it fun to do a Bond.

If I were IFP I'd be seeking out these mega a-list authors and pitching them hard on this idea. THIS would reenergize the literary Bond for sure.

Terrific idea. And so simple.

Wonder if the thought has ever crossed the minds of the people that makes these decisions...

[dark]

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
Not sure how Archer is perceived in the US, but in the UK the mere mention of his name is enough to elicit a snort of derisive laughter from practically anyone.

Bit of a laughing stock, is he? Is that because he was a pompous "polly" more than anything else?

With his notoriety, I'd thought he may have acheived a certain amount of a poularity boost, much in the same way that Hugh Grant garnered.

#14 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:50 PM

Hmm..think less 'lovable rogue' more 'hated jailed criminal liar'.

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

Bit of a laughing stock, is he? Is that because he was a pompous "polly" more than anything else?

With his notoriety, I'd thought he may have acheived a certain amount of a poularity boost, much in the same way that Hugh Grant garnered.

Well, no doubt his name would attract a great deal of publicity for any Bond book he wr----, er, had something to do with.

Admittedly, when Archer came to grief a lot of Brits simply exulted in the humiliation of yet another prominent Tory. Still, suggesting Archer's involvement in something would be, for many in this country, at least, akin to putting forward, say, Bill Clinton as head of a commission of inquiry into sexual abuse, or wondering how come O.J. Simpson doesn't seem to make movies any more.

Throughout Archer's life, virtually everything he touched turned into a criminal investigation. This is the man fond of saying things like "It's down that corridor, on the left-hand side past the Picasso" (to a guest asking directions to the lavatory in his flat), and "Oh, about

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:06 PM

Originally posted by JackChase007
If Cussler gives it a crack, then I'd be satisfied...

Clive Cussler has a sucessful literary creation why would he risk his fan base on Bond .

#17 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:11 PM

Originally posted by zencat (edited)
...And it if worked, follow on with that formula -- a star author per book. Dick Francis does a Bond horse racing adventure. Michael Crition does a high-concept Bond of some type. Every book would be an event. And I bet IFP could get these guys to write on percentage only. You know they all read and were probably influenced by Fleming when they were young, and would find it fun to do a Bond.

I really love this idea. The only thing I would add/change to it is that I would add a series editor who really, really knows Bond to work with the authors at various stages of their books to provide and continue a continuity in the series.

#18 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:26 PM

I feel that this would continue the problem we face now with literary Bond . constant up-date , and moving the character away from Ian Fleming . Example , a small detail it may be . Bond should never drive a Jaguar . Bond is about expansive name brand that no ordinary perosn cold get . Aston Martin , Savile Row suits . Having a different author would dilute the character further . The best thing to do is just sit and wait for a author to appear .Who is interested in Bond to remain with the tradition established by Fleming . Changing Bond is what got Markham (Amis ) critical reaction that was not positive . And help hinder some of Gardners best work .

#19 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:53 PM

I wish the late Roald Dahl had written a Bond novel. Think the Dahl of "Tales of the Unexpected" and "My Uncle Oswald" rather than the Dahl of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Matilda". As well as being one of the most innovative and brilliant writers of the twentieth century (IMO, anyway), Dahl was a good friend of Ian Fleming and scripted the film versions of "You Only Live Twice" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". He'd have been PERFECT.

#20 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:44 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
Clive Cussler has a sucessful literary creation why would he risk his fan base on Bond .

Kev, if you'd read my first post, above that one, you'll see that I ALREADY POINTED THAT OUT. Not to mention, this is just a big "What If"...

I don't know why, but it seems like when I post a lot of things, you just have the need to antagonize me...

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:56 PM

I second that. Jim brought up a similar objection about negotiating contracts.

As the starter of this thread, I'd like to point out - once again - that WE NEEDN'T CONCERN OURSELVES WITH "REALISTIC" CHOICES HERE, BUT ONLY WITH WHO WE'D LIKE TO WRITE BOND! WE'RE JUST PLAYING "WHAT IF" AND ALL PRACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS DO NOT APPLY!!!!!!!!

#22 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:08 PM

Then I'd like Ian Fleming to write the continuation Bonds - all impracticalities aside.

I'm sorry, I'm just feeling troublesome today. Ignore me and I'll go away.

#23 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:20 PM

Hey, that's a perfectly valid suggestion according to the "rules" of this thread, Simon. I've no objection to your choice whatsoever.:)

#24 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:23 PM

Charles Dickens

#25 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:24 PM

Shakespeare was quite a mean writer, so I'm told.

#26 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:44 PM

Frederick Forsyth would be good. He has both Fleming's journalistic background and right-wing opinions. Pretty good writer too (My fave being The Odessa File). I think he has retired from fiction writing though.

James Patterson would be good too in terms of story and pacing, although his standard of prose writing and characterisation probably isn't high enough.

Ah, what the hell... I'd hire myself to write the next book :)

#27 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:51 PM

Originally posted by JackChase007

Kev, if you'd read my first post, above that one, you'll see that I ALREADY POINTED THAT OUT.  Not to mention, this is just a big "What If"...
I don't know why, but it seems like when I post a lot of things, you just have the need to antagonize me...

That what my ex-wife said about are marriage. Thanks . More to the point as allways you are right.

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:21 PM

Coop, Frederick Forsyth is an excellent suggestion. I loved "The Dogs of War" (which is crying out to be filmed again - I suggest Brosnan for the lead).

I don't know whether Forsyth has given up fiction, but he seems to spend a lot of time writing angry and Blimpish letters to the British right wing newspaper The Daily Telegraph (Torygraph).

Some more suggestions: Martin Amis; J.G. Ballard; Bryan Forbes (British film director and novelist - has written spy fiction among other things, including the excellent "The Endless Game" and its sequel "A Song at Twilight"); William Goldman (legendary Hollywood screenwriter - novels include "Marathon Man"); Jerzy Kosinski (the superb spy novel "Cockpit" - Kosinski committed suicide in 1991, and for all I know some of these other guys are dead, but, hey, we're playing "what if?" here); Ian McEwan; David Morrell (created Rambo in his thriller "First Blood"); Trevanian ("The Eiger Sanction", "Shibumi"); Eric Van Lustbader ("The Ninja" and its sequels).

Oh, and Enid Blyton. Now THERE was a writer!

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:29 PM

Originally posted by [dark]
Terrific idea. And so simple.

Wonder if the thought has ever crossed the minds of the people that makes these decisions...

Thank you dark. I think most people in charge might dismiss the idea as being impossible or too expensive, but I think they might be very surprised if they approached some of these superstar writers. I bet all these writers, at one point or another, have had an idea for a Bond book and would love to do one just for the fun. Writers love to write, and for guys used to writing massive 500 page tomes, a nice tight 290page Bond adventure would be like a vacation for them. I'll bet you anything they would do it for no cash up front, only a percentage of sales. I think IFP should seriously consider this idea.

(I just emailed IFP this idea.)

#30 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 11:59 PM

Another author I think would make a good fist of it would be Martin Cruz Smith. His Arkady Renko novels are excellent (Polar Star and Gorky Park are standouts) so he knows the genre well. Although, I must confess, I haven't read any of his other non-Renko novels, but he has a proven record of writing a spy genre series of books.

He's not a super-author, but he's well-known for his writing so it's a good balance for Bond, and is someone who may not necessarily command an exorbitant salary.