17 replies to this topic

#1 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 04:08 PM

Last week, I read an interview with legendary Bond director John Glen ('For Your Eyes Only' & 'The Living Daylights') that he auditioned French actor Christopher Lambert for the part of Bond. It dawned on me that Lambert wasn't the only French actor who tested for the part. The actor Lambert Wilson, born in Neuilly-sur-Seine, also auditioned in 86.

After doing some brief research I found out that Bond in fact was the child of a Scottish father and a French mother. It wouldn't be so far fetched that the next Bond candidate would in fact be a French born actor. And since we're having trouble finding a suitable replacement, I think this little tidbit could expand our horizons a little bit.

Still, would the fans and the casual fans accept a French actor playing Bond? Note that he of course doesn't have to speak with a French accent. A Britisch accent is of course not that hard to fake.

Any suggestions for a French actor who would be a great candidate for the part of Bond, James Bond?

#2 Imperator

Imperator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 04:35 PM

I don't know any French or Latin actor good enough to play Bond. But it's a very good idea. I was thinking about it the other day. Bond has Latin blood: If there's a Latin actor (French, Italian, Spanish, etceteras) who looks like Bond and able to make a good British accent, it's not a bad idea to cast him.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 05:05 PM

Is Bond's latin Blood from his Scottish father or his Swiss mother?

#4 Imperator

Imperator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
Is Bond's latin Blood from his Scottish father or his Swiss mother?

His Swiss mother, of course. I didn't know Scotland was a Latin country, and I thought Bond ancestors were from Germany. Still, if anybody has more information about Bond's ancestors and heritage, I'd be very interested to know about it, as always.

#5 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:24 PM

>>His Swiss mother, of course. I didn't know Scotland was a Latin country<<

Well, it's news to me that Switzerland is.

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:44 PM

There is quite a lot about Bond's ancestors in Pearson's James Bond: The Authorized Biography Of 007. However, I have to take everything in that book with a grain of salt. Though it is the most official record of Bond's family.

#7 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:56 PM

James Bond's mother was swiss named Monique Delacroix from the "Canton de Vaud" . Father Andrew Bond , scottish. Christopher Lambert would have never become Bond. Bond is and will allway be played by a British / Commonwealth Actor.

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 07:10 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
James Bond's mother was swiss named Monique Delacroix from the "Canton de Vaud" .  Father Andrew Bond , scottish.  Christopher Lambert would have never become Bond.  Bond is and will allway be played by a British / Commonwealth Actor.

And coincidentally Lambert having been born in New York and having grown up Geneva and Paris has a lot in common with Pearson's take on Bond who was born in Germany and grew up in Geneva, Paris, Russia, Egypt, and a bit of time in England.

Another reason I don't put much stock in Pearson's book.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:44 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
Last week, I read an interview with legendary Bond director John Glen ('For Your Eyes Only' & 'The Living Daylights') that he auditioned French actor Christopher Lambert for the part of Bond.

They got to work together in the truely abysmal The Point Men with Maryam D'Abo.

#10 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix

And coincidentally Lambert having been born in New York and having grown up Geneva and Paris has a lot in common with Pearson's take on Bond who was born in Germany and grew up in Geneva, Paris, Russia, Egypt, and a bit of time in England.
Another reason I don't put much stock in Pearson's book.

Andrew Bond was a sale representative for "Villars" . So that explains the traveling . Like John Pearson 's two books just started to re-read his Fleming biography . Lambert could have been born in Buckingham Palace for all i care . And he still would not have been Bond. Who care what John Glen has too say Almost destroyed Bond after "AVTAK" . Glen redeemed himself with "TLD" and especially "LTK" .

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:25 PM

Any suggestions for a French actor who would be a great candidate for the part of Bond, James Bond?  

Olivier Martinez (http://us.imdb.com/N...rtinez, Olivier) is the only name that comes to mind right now, although, like most French actors I can think of, he looks perhaps a little too dark and Gallic for Bond (no offence to French CBners, BTW). Do you have anyone in mind, crashdrive?

#12 Imperator

Imperator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:56 AM

Originally posted by Coop
>>His Swiss mother, of course. I didn't know Scotland was a Latin country<<

Well, it's news to me that Switzerland is.

Well, I meant Bond's mother had French (Latin) ancestors on her father's side. That's what it seems by looking at her name.

#13 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:36 AM

No,we must search to an Scotisch,englisch,ire's of Australien actor.
If there don't do that it is over with MR BOND.
Goodbye Mr Bond.
This is one of the 8 standard rules of Bond.

#14 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:45 PM

Originally posted by M_Balje
This is one of the 8 standard rules of Bond.

Which are the 8 standard rules if you don't mind me asking? And don't you think a French actor is a possibility? At least two were tested already and it won't betray Bonds origin in any way.

#15 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:49 PM

Which are the 8 standard rules if you don't mind me asking? And don't you think a French actor is a possibility? At least two were tested already and it won't betray Bonds origin in any way.

The 8 standard rules are stupid . Do not exist . The only rule is British /Commonwealth actor only . Yes , Americans like Gavin (who almost got the role ,but i think it was because of some Itailian rip-off) , Brolin . But Broccoli has had alway made it clear that the person who plays James Bond is a British actor . There are complex reason as to why.

#16 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 06:53 PM

You have an Pm !!

#17 Imperator

Imperator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 01:49 AM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
The 8 standard rules are stupid . Do not exist . The only rule is British /Commonwealth actor only . Yes , Americans like Gavin (who almost got the role ,but i think it was because of some Itailian rip-off) , Brolin . But Broccoli has had alway made it clear that the person who plays James Bond is a British actor . There are complex reason as to why.

Imagine: 20 years in the future. There's only one almost perfect candidate for Bond. But he isn't British and his country doesn't belong to the Commonwealth. What happens with the rule?

#18 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Imperator

Imagine: 20 years in the future. There's only one almost perfect candidate for Bond. But he isn't British and his country doesn't belong to the Commonwealth. What happens with the rule?

Truefully . If a perfect candidate came along . Since Bond's have a history of dubbing , even english actors . Then guess what. But at the rate we a going there may not be Bond in 20 years.