This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who here thinks Hugh Jackman is by far the likeliest person to be the next Bond?

67 replies to this topic

#61 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Simon

Ahh, I see now.
I'd love to see an example of one of the "handcuff" contracts that stipulates the above.
"Well, we'd like to have you on board son.  All we need you to do now is to flick through this here contract. Take note of paras six and seven.  We'd like you to be limited until we get the next show on the road.  Don't worry about the six year break before Brosnan came on board - if we see something like that happening again, we'll let you know, and then you can become more, erm, prominent.  How's that?"

Look at the filmography of eacj man who played Bond . Only one movie in between . The 6 years break was a complex situation. Plans had been made for a third Dalton Bond . Jackman would be to much associtate with action films . Plus X-Men looks like a successful series in itself .

#62 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:45 PM

>>Plus all of the gentlemen starred in smaller scale films .<<

Like Dante's Peak, The Thomas Crown Affair, Mars Attack, The Wild Geese and The Cannonball Run :)

#63 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Simon
I think (Fleming) wrote him as dangerous and cruel........which would fit in with Bale and his angle.

You have a good point Simon. Still I have the feeling EON have forgotten this characteristic along the way. Many Bond fans/ purist would like more Fleming influence, but I doubt this will happen. Times have changed. Bond can't be as cruel as Connery was 40 years ago, let alone the way Fleming wrote him. Although Bale may be a perfect choice for a more Fleming-type of Bond, I think EON will try to find their own big-screen incarnation of Bond. Less cruel, more likeable and more over-the-top.

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero
It was actually more prominent in his first scenes in Swordfish, but I think it was more the fact that he was with Berry again in this one, and it reminded me of X-Men, and thus Wolverine.

Then you probably had the same problem I had with Berry in 'DAD'. I thought she just played her character from 'Swordfish' again. But do you think you will really only see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, even if he's clean-shaven, well dressed and drinking wodka martini's?

Originally posted by kevrichardson
EON will not bank it's future on some like Hugh Jackman . The one thing that all of them Connery , Moore , Dalton , Brosnan had in common was that they are not over exposed to the public.

But I don't think Jackman is over-exposed. Hardly anyone knows him except superhero fans and Bond fans. Moore, although he didn't play in big blockbusters, was a more familiar face than Jackman. The only reasons why EON wouldn't like an actor who is too popular is:
A. His pricetag will be too high (which so far is not the case, but could happen if Jackman's 'Van Helsing' will be a big hit)
B. People could not see him as Bond (which wouldn't be a problem since he has played very different characters. Someone like Hugh Grant is an example of an actor the public would not believe as Bond I think)

EON llike for it Bond to work primarily on Bond with limited outside work during the 2 year (now 3 year ) break.

I don't think this is true. 'The Thomas Crown Affair' could have been a franchise and Brosnan is currently busy preparing a 'Thin Man' remake, which definately has franchise potential. But even if you're right, 2007 is 4 years away. In the mean time, Jackman could make a third and even a fourth 'X Men' movie (which I doubt since most superhero franchises lose steam after the second sequel). Also he can make a sequel to 'Van Helsing' in that period. Jackman could be in the same position Moore was when he started playing Bond, 'free to concentrate on Bond'.

Jackman would be to much associtate with action films .

Like I mentioned in another thread, Jackman has acted in a variety of genres. His most succesfull just happen to be action films, which wouldn't hurt his chances since ....sssss...(and don't mention this to anyone).... Bond is in fact an action film franchise.

Originally posted by Coop
Like Dante's Peak, The Thomas Crown Affair, Mars Attack, The Wild Geese and The Cannonball Run :)

I think he meant before they got the part of Bond. :)

#64 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 06:16 PM

Then that will mean a return to the Moore slapstick years!! Why not a return to the Bond of Fleming . That was the process bgun by Dalton in 1987 . Which peaked with "LTK". I feel it is silly to compare Halle Berry peformance in "SwordFish" with the one in DAD . Then why not compare the sex scene with then one in "Monster's Ball". The one in DAD was supposed to be just as graphic . If EON would hire Jackman by 2007 . He would have starred in "VanHelsing" , a sequel to that in 2006 . And a third X-Men film . that's not over exposure . Then what is ? Why do you consider the "Thin Man" remake a possible franchise ? Most people don't have a cure as to what the original films are . I doubt that today's movie audiences would be interested in a husband/wife private eye team . Then if so why not a big screen verision of "Mc Millian and Wife" ? Bond is according to the producers (Broccoli and Saltzman , now Wilson and Barbara Broccoli ) action-adventure film for the whole family .

#65 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 07:23 PM

If Eon is smart, they will get Jackman for Bond. He's the only one who has any kind of following who wants to see him as Bond. Anyone else, it would be Dalton all over again.

#66 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:21 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
If Eon is smart, they will get Jackman for Bond. He's the only one who has any kind of following who wants to see him as Bond. Anyone else, it would be Dalton all over again.

Once again the name Dalton comes up. He has nothing to do with the fact that they is no clear frontrunner for Bond in 2007 . As we can assume several things 1) Brosnan after Bond 21 , if as successful as DAD will return . This will delay a choice on a new Bond until 2009 . By then a wholwe new crop a candidates may appear . 2) Bond 21 is not as hit with the public , i.e. does no better than "GoldenEye" or has worst number than "LTK" . If htat is the case then no need for a frantic search for a replacement . Since Bond my be finish . This is the worst case . 3) Bond 21 is a massive hit . Out performs "DAD" at the box-office in America and internationally . With DVD/VHS and preview projections beyond "DAD"s . Then Brosnan realize it's better to go out on top and gracefully retires his Walther. EON during this period begins grooming a replacement chosen by Wilson , Barbara Broccoli and Brosnan as a "coach" to replacement . This happens then all previous names mentioned (Jackman , West , Northam , Fiennes , etc) have good shot at role since . Brosnan "blessing " would help ease transition of new Bond in publics mind . Similar to his taking over from Dalton , with Moore in agreement .

#67 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:34 PM

The reason I bring up Dalton is because no one really knew who the hell he was in 1986. People wanted Pierce. When he didn't end up getting to do it, Dalton was the second best choice, if he was even that. People's attitudes were soured already by the time July of 87 came out and Brosnan did the cover of People, Take this job and shove it. Dalton shouldn't have accepted the role. I don't think he really wanted it that bad. Someone had to have twisted his arm or something. When he finally quit, he seemed too happy to do so. I just never liked the man, that's all.

#68 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:47 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
The reason I bring up Dalton is because no one really knew who the hell he was in 1986. People wanted Pierce. When he didn't end up getting to do it, Dalton was the second best choice, if he was even that. People's attitudes were soured already by the time July of 87 came out and Brosnan did the cover of People, Take this job and shove it. Dalton shouldn't have accepted the role. I don't think he really wanted it that bad. Someone had to have twisted his arm or something. When he finally quit, he seemed too happy to do so. I just never liked the man, that's all.

dalton had nothing to do with what happen to Brosnan in 1986 . That was the greed of others. NBC ,the "Remington Steele" people. Dalton had always been on the EON short list since 1969 , when he was offer "OHMSS", "DAF" . But thought he was too young . Plus then following in Connery's foot steps. Dalton's was a known film actor ("Lion in Winter-1968) . Plus a stage actor of some merit.