6 replies to this topic

#1 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 10:13 PM

What month of 1982 was the UK Coronet paperback edition of Licence Renewed published? Thanks

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:46 PM

The US edition was released on May 1, 1982. That's all I know.

Why do you ask (if you don't mind me asking)?

#3 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 12:25 AM

I'm a wannabe writer. I've got this idea for a young adult novel about the 1982 invasion of the Falkland Islands seen through the eyes of the governor's teenage son. For one bit, he needs to return to the airport for him to overhear something. I thought he could've left a book there and was returning to collect it. It'd be nice if it could have be Licence Renewed, as I remember as an 11 year old going into my local WH Smiths (a chain of book/magazine/record shops in the UK) and seeing a Licence Renewed standee full of paperbacks in 1982. I remeber being excited that Bond was back in print. My book- aimed at teenagers- is a bit of a nostalgia trip for me, and I'd like to namecheck a few things (Eg. The boy has an Empire Strikes Back poster, his mother has a Charles and Diana mug, the local radio station plays ABC and Toni basil etc). Shame the paperback seems to have been published a month too late.

Looks like the boy's book will have to be 'For Your Eyes Only' instead.

I'm writing mine in my very limited spare moments so, if it's ever published at all, don't expect it to be around for a year or ten :)

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 01:38 AM

It very well could be that the UK LR paperback was published in time for the Falkland's invasion. The US editions use frequently published well after the UK editions. So it could be that the Coronet LR was published in April or even before.

Maybe you can ask this question at the Ian Fleming Publications website? If you get an answer, let me know. I'd like to put in my Bond book database.

#5 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 11:39 AM

I've had no joy with Ian Fleming Publications. You have to register to ask questions. This involves sending them your email address and then they send you a password. I tried this last week to ask about the US version of Live And Let Die but still haven't recieved my password.

I'll try again though and let you know if I hear anything from them.

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Coop
I've had no joy with Ian Fleming Publications.  You have to register to ask questions.  This involves sending them your email address and then they send you a password.  I tried this last week to ask about the US version of Live And Let Die but still haven't recieved my password.  
I'll try again though and let you know if I hear anything from them.

Try again ! I got my password right away . PLus i asked a question about "Colonel Sun" and got a answer later in the week .

#7 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 09:18 PM

Yep, tried again and bingo! Got a passcode. I've asked the question, so fingers crossed...