5 replies to this topic

#1 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:05 AM

Everytime I'm browsing at the James Bond books I find myself asking the same question.... Why is the US cover art so plain and boring compared to their UK counterparts? This is directed towards the first edition Fleming, Gardner, and Benson. The Gardner covers for US firsts are really bad, in my opinion. They are all completely alike besides a different pastel color background, Bond posing in a different position, and of course the title. The UK versions of these all have great pictures and most importantly, variety. The Benson novels are also following the same pattern as the Gardners, just a bit better. My question is why do they put forth so little effort in the US cover art? Does anyone feel as let down as I do? I've seen some members of this site create great covers for their fan fiction, maybe someone in the printing media should take note.... seriously. I do have one good thing to say though, the new covers for the Fleming reproduction are nice. Good job Penguin.

#2 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:15 AM

the old Gardner covers and the Benson ones do suck, but the new Fleming's are great and I hope they continue to rerelease books by the other guys with nice covers....

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 06:12 AM

I agree the US Gardner

#4 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 06:41 AM

Wow - that's hideous.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 01:18 PM

The U.S. has had some great covers over the years. The Signet paperback covers of the sixties is one of my favourite sets, and the fifties Signet wer pretty nice, too.

But you are right, the U.K. books are generally a better breed. The 'Marek' and 'Marek-style' covers of the eighties are a good example. They are nice fun covers, but appear quite dull compared to most the U.K. covers of the same time.

#6 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 04:54 AM

I would just like to see covers with nice art on it. For instance, TMWTRT US version has HUGE words all over it with a little watermark of a dragon on it. The UK version has a picture of a flaming red circle with the Title and authors names on the top and bottom. Things like that.