28 replies to this topic

#1 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 06:26 AM

Roger is clearly the best bond! Ok I do love Tim, but it is not fair to say he is the best being screwed and only being able to do 2 movies..

When I say Roger it is not just "the actor" but "the era"!! :)

Roger had the best:
Music
Women
Action
Different movies/took chances
Acting

I think it is not even close with probably the only 2 Bonds people talk about or should talk about Roger & Sean.

Roger was chosen by the writer of the books!
Roger had range to the character!

* Sean clearly walked through the roll after Goldfinger.. and even in the first 3, he only showed one angle.. "macho", not even really I see it as what Sean always plays everything Like a Block of Wood!

** I always seem to hear from people about how original Sean was when he played James Bond..

which is NOT true.. Sean is a CLEAR rip off of Frank Sinatra in the "Rat Pack" Movies & really anything Frank did in the late 1950's -1960's.. on Tv, Movies and in Vegas..

Know your history.. Sean clearly copied Frank.. Sean is nothing special.. he play Bond 1 way, and shows NO emotion..

example: in Dr No.. Honeyrider tries to open up to Bond about her past.. a sexual thing possibly.. and SEAN has no range.. nothing.. it is not that Bond is cool or macho.. yeah thats fine, but Sean can't play more then that.. that scene needed more! some range.

There is NO way Sean would have been abe to get married in OYMSS.. he couldn't pull it off.. he can't show more then a block of wood/one trick pony ripping off badly Frank Sinatra in the rat pack years

Roger did it all!!

He is James Bond!
:)

#2 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 07:20 AM

I dont agree with alot of your points, but I agree with some. Although I think Roger was great in the role, he wasn't the best, but it's all down to your personnel favourite really. And I thought Fleming didn't want Roger in the role.

#3 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:24 AM

4 Ur Eyez Only, welcome to CBn.

I think you were way too harsh on Sean. I loved Roger up to a certain point until the films became a circus. But I feel Sean was way better than Moore - Sean's first 2 films are pure Fleming. After that, they became bigger and better and set the standards for future Bond movies.
And Sean is not a rip-off of Frank Sinatra.

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:48 AM

I love Roger as Bond, but to say he has a lot of range or showed a lot of emotion is kind of funny since he's really not a very good actor...

#5 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 02:04 PM

Ian Fleming did choose Roger Moore in 1961 but I guess someone convinced him that Roger was too good-looking for the role - so they chose Sean.

I think it had to do with the fact that Roger was world-wide famous as The Saint and thus under contract and not available for the Bond movies.

As I have said before, imagine if Moore was selected in 1962. I am sure he would have played the role up to 1985 - 20 years of Moore as Bond.

IF ONLY...

I guess the other hope is if Roger was not older than Sean but rather - younger - say by 5-7 years. I think than Roger would have finished off all of the Bond movies for the 1980's.

That would have been nice as well....

But I agree - Sean was good - but Roger was bigger, better - THE BEST!!!!

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 02:17 PM

Originally posted by goldengun
Ian Fleming did choose Roger Moore in 1961 but I guess someone convinced him that Roger was too good-looking for the role - so they chose Sean.
I think it had to do with the fact that Roger was world-wide famous as  The Saint and thus under contract and not available for the Bond movies.
As I have said before, imagine if Moore was selected in 1962.  I am sure he would have played the role up to 1985 - 20 years of Moore as Bond.
I guess the other hope is if Roger was not older than Sean but rather - younger - say by 5-7 years.  I think than Roger would have finished off all of the Bond movies for the 1980's.  
That would have been nice as well....
But I agree - Sean was good -  but Roger was bigger, better - THE BEST!!!!

the problem with a emotional thread like this is . A large number of people saw both in their "prime" as Bond and in their swan songs as Bond . so this is "difficult" . I saw YOLY with my father in 1967 , had a Sean Coonery "James Bond doll" the toy AstonMartin ,etc. I saw DAF in 1971 then waited for Roger Moore, i watched the "Saint" on American TV . No two men had a great effect on one role than Connery and Moore. Both fit the role to a "Tee" , where as Connery , rough ,griity. Moore was urban , suave ,charming. Both were witty and sardonic with the one-liners. Moore was the "Prettiest" were as Connery was "Tall and Dark". This issue just come do to taste, some people like beer and some wine . Both are good. Connery was the "original" , Moore the seasoned replacement. Both helped to make Bond out of this world.

#7 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 03:54 PM

The Connery and Moore years were the best - I concur - both of these individuals fit the Bond role better than anyone else.

The Connery and Moore years are classic and will always be the preferred.

What would be good is if you put Moore and Connery in the same film together - perhaps both in the same Bond film - trying to kill Bond!!!!!

#8 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:02 PM

I think Connery set the standard for all Bonds to come after him, so.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:35 PM

I don't think there is a "best" Bond. Each was the right for his time. But I do like this shout given out to Roger because I don't think Rog always gets the credit he deserves (and Connery gets too much). So...way to go, 4 Ur Eyez Only! Great to have a new Roger fan at CBn.

#10 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:39 PM

i have to give the nod to moore as he was the bond when i was growing up, and i saw his last at 18-avtak but i really like sean as well but u know what i mean

#11 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 09:01 PM

watch anything Frank Sinatra did in those Rat Pack years.. His Vegas act clips, his movies,ect

Sean clearly ripped him off.. 100%..his exact style,acting style & macho tough guy womanizer.

watch Frank.. clear as day and came BEFORE sean played james bond.

sad people want to rewrite history:confused:

rent a rat pack movie or watch anything from that era.. Remember Frank & the rat pack were doing this on stage years ,years before sean was playing bond

#12 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:27 PM

For a long time I thought Roger Moore was the original Bond.

I've only recently seen the Connery films. Connery, sans whether or not he stole Sinatra, is probably the authentic 007 of Film.

However, my happiest childhood movie memories are with the light-hearted potrayal of Roger.

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 02:05 AM

Originally posted by Thunderball8
For a long time I thought Roger Moore was the original Bond.
I've only recently seen the Connery films.  Connery, sans whether or not he stole Sinatra, is probably the authentic 007 of Film.
However, my happiest childhood movie memories are with the light-hearted potrayal of Roger.

A lot of people felt that Roger Moore was James Bond. In fact he brought many people too the series because of the "lighthearted" approach. A lot of people was turned of by the snobbery ,violence , sadisim of the Connery films . Moore films that stand out as the best of the series are as follows . "TSWLM" , "LALD" , "TMWTGG" (it's a good film) , "FYEO" , Octopussy" . Don't worry just enjoy them.

#14 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:28 AM

Moore adds a nice mood to the bonds.

You have a bond for all times. If you feel macho, merry or hard edged, there is a bond for you.

I wouldn't trade Roger for anyone for the 7 films he did (well...except have Dalton step into the role in Octopussy, or maybe AVTAK).

I used to love Moore, as he was the Bond of my childhood, then I shunned him, citing Daltons hard-edge as a cooler bond, then I matured and saw each Bond for what they are, and realised that Moore is just a light hearted approach and you just have to sit back and laugh with the film. That's how you enjoy them, and enjoy them I do :)

#15 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 10:22 PM

Dalton in "Octopussy" , okay it would have to been re-writen like "TLD" . But Dalton in "AVTAK" not the version that Moore was in , plus it would have kepted Moore' s stunt doulbes un-employed.

#16 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 12:25 AM

Yeah, but Moore was the Stunt doubles acting double really by the time AVTAK came around.

#17 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Daltonitus
Yeah, but Moore was the Stunt doubles acting double really by the time AVTAK came around.

May be we are just watching Bob Simmons as Bond . Since any scene in which Jolly Roger is called on to do anything more strenuous than walk brings on a stunt double.

#18 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 04:28 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
watch anything Frank Sinatra did in those Rat Pack years.. His Vegas act clips, his movies,ect

Sean clearly ripped him off.. 100%..his exact style,acting style & macho tough guy womanizer.

watch Frank.. clear as day and came BEFORE sean played james bond.

sad people want to rewrite history:confused:

rent a rat pack movie or watch anything from that era.. Remember Frank & the rat pack were doing this on stage years ,years before sean was playing bond

You have GOT to be joking about the Rat Pack reference! ROTF!! Was a bit of Dino in there also holding a "shaken not stirred" Martini??

That is a serious stretch of logic and requires a "leap of faith". I NEVER thought od Sinatra watching Connery as Bond! But, hey....whatever blows your skirt up! LOL!

Connery in my growing up WAS Bond. I had to "grow" into Moore but eventually came to enjoy his lighter approach. I was MUCH happier when Dalton came in and brought the character back to the basic roots. As many have said, Brosnan is a good "hybrid" of the three main actors.

Most have an understandable affinity for the actor they first saw in the role and followed the series with. For you, it is Moore-for me and those of us that are a bit older, it was definitely Connery. For this current generation, it's Brosnan.

It's fine if you feel Moore is your personal favorite (and it IS a matter of personal perception), but don't make comparisons by throwing Frank into the mix. This is the first time I have ever head that.

#19 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 05:23 PM

Sean Connery is as much a rip-off of Frank Sinatra as Timothy Dalton is to Sir Richard Burton.

#20 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 06:10 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Sean Connery is as much a rip-off of Frank Sinatra as Timothy Dalton is to Sir Richard Burton.

What is your point with that statement . Becausee Dalton is from Wales like Burton . Both in their youth were considered to be the shining lights of the British stage. When was Richard Burton Knighted?

#21 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 10:06 AM

Burton was very old probably dead when Tim started.. his career for the most part was over..

NOW Sinatra was DOING this character On stage,In Movies,ect... BEFORE Sean.. and they were BOTH Young!

Don't try to rewrite history.. sorry to burst many sean fans bubble.. but he is not original with his "style" as Bond.. Frank did it for years and years.. It is a 100% rip off of Frank..and the whole Rat Pack Vibe..but mostly Franks personality in those movies,stage show..

but just done with a aweful accent..

The Hat, The Clothes, The Cool, The Personality was ALL done before Sean even was chosen to Play Bond.. He & The Producers clearly stole from Frank...Mostly The Acting!! The personality!!!

watch Dr No.. The Rat Pack was before that.. So what did sean himself actually bring to the Role?? Not much but a clear rip off of something that was going on at the SAME EXACT Time..

a Scottish Guy doing Sinatra is not that amazing.. :)

* They were BOTH about the same age.. both still making their name.. Frank had allot left in 1960.. another 25 years + of a career to go

Burton in 1987.. was he even alive?

Frank played different styles of this character which Sean RIPPED OFF for over 10 years!!
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Sinatra,+Frank

(Sean wasn't even in movies 10 years before Dr No)
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Connery,+Sean
~sorry to bring up FACTS

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Please:rolleyes:

I wish I can put audio examples of Movies Frank did 5 years BEFORE Sean even got into the Movie Business

Face it Sean is like "Bruce Li" compared to "Bruce Lee".

Just plain PHONEY..

Sean does a Sinatra Impression like a block of wood..with a scottish accent.

#22 soundwave007

soundwave007

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 07:03 PM

roger moore is my favorite bond, connery era bond is good, dalton era is so/so and brosnon is ok i dont think the bond character is something anyone can take too serious and that's why moore works best for me

#23 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 07:13 PM

{raises eyebrow}

Really?

#24 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:32 PM

Dalton's film debut was in 1968 in "The Lion in Winter" . Richard Burton was at the height of his powers then .With another 18 odd years left .

#25 Lazar

Lazar

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 10:30 PM

I'm uncertain about the Sinatra / Connery analogy but I definitely DO agree that Moore is by far the better Bond. Connery is so boring (Yawn Connery is my nickname for him -- "Boring Moneypenny. In fact I think I dropped off.") it's amazing that the films did as well as they did.
But really, I think it all comes down to "presence." For an actor to be good and/or believable in any role, he or she must have presence and this is the area where Roger is head and shoulders above ALL the other Bond actors. That is the real problem with Brosnan -- and it is part of the problem with Connery. As I noted in a Bond-Brosnan film review on amazon.com, my cat would probably have more presence playing Bond than Brosnan. As for Connery, he has a little more presence than Brosnan (plus Lazenby and sorry, 4 your ur Eyez, Dalton), but he doesn't come close to Moore in this area.

#26 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 11:20 PM

Moore-NOBODY EVER DID IT BETTER-Connery was great, but I greatly enjoyed moore's suave charm, and his lighthearted, yet still sardonic bond humor-Brosnan is about to join the elite with his next movie if it lives up to the hype but MOORE WAS THE BEST

#27 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 05:33 AM

Roger Moore was great as Bond. I enjoyed all of his films maybe even more than all of Connery's films, but in a close battle of "who is the best Bond?" I'd have to give it to Connery. First off, I think Roger looked more the part ,aside from his brown hair, and he played the part with great charisma and layed down many memorable one-liners. But Sean also had great charisma, perhaps even more. His performances in DN, FRWL, GF, and TB, are textbook-Bond. Maybe not the Fleming Bond (no actor really was) but rather the "Film-Bond" so many grew to love. Sean started it all, and with prices adjusted to inflation, TB's ticket sales would soar higher than any other Bond film to date.
http://www.thegolden.../misc/boxdf.htm
I don't want to sound like a Connery-addict, because I end up defending Roger on many threads, but IMO, Sean did it the best.

#28 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 12:57 PM

SO what record does Moonraker hold? I have been reading that it was the highest-grossing film at the time of release.

I would have thought that taking inflation into consideration woud have made it the highest.

Oh well....Roger never made the worst selling Bond. ANd like the article says - there hasn't been a Bond film made that has not made a good sizable chunk of money.

Go Bond!

#29 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Icephoenix
I dont agree with alot of your points, but I agree with some. Although I think Roger was great in the role, he wasn't the best, but it's all down to your personnel favourite really. And I thought Fleming didn't want Roger in the role.

Roger Moore was one of Flemings choices for the role. In fact when Fleming first saw Sean Connery he said he was "all wrong" for the role, although he laster recanted and said he was a good choice.
Personally, when I think of James Bond movies, the first two actors I think of are Sean Connery and Roger Moore. I thought George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton were serviceable in the role, but they did not make as much of an impression.