51 replies to this topic

#1 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 06:35 AM

hey guys i wanted to know something about LTK, i had heard that on the dvd there was a deleated scene with sonny crockett and tubbs from miami vice trailing bond, (seems sanchez killed crocketts wife) but on mine there is no such scene, does anyone know about this?

#2 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:10 AM

come on guys ....some one must know

#3 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:13 AM

Well, I definately do not have such a scene on my copy of the DVD. I have a feeling that such a rumor is just that. Being that LTK was a Dalton film, with a very dark/serious edge, I find it extremely difficult to believe that that would even DREAM up quite a scene for Dalton.

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 08:50 AM

I don't think it's real, maybe it sprung up because a lot of people think of LTK as a Miami Vice episode...

#5 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 09:26 AM

It would fit in well with the (unintentional) comic ton of the movie :)

#6 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 04:23 PM

I think whoever started that off was yanking peoples cranks and trying to annoy the Daltonites.

I would have been funny in the film, but lets remeber that this isn't a Moore film and people over 10 will want to watch it for more than a laugh :)

#7 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 06:57 PM

"but lets remeber that this isn't a Moore film and people over 10 will want to watch it for more than a laugh"

Pity more people over 10 did'nt go and watch it then :)

#8 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:05 PM

i just got told that the early versions of ltk dvd had that scene on it, like late 90's so i just dont know

#9 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:08 PM

but vice was on its last leg when ltk came out and why would they try and tie it together? odd, very odd

#10 B5Erik2

B5Erik2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:44 PM

I've never heard of this, or - more importantly - read about this. I'd be willing to bet good money that it's just another B.S. internet rumor.

Besides, they'd have to pay the rights fees to use those characters, they couldn't just throw them in on a whim. I could see them negitiating the rights to "borrow" those characters for a Roger Moore film, but not for a Dalton film.

LTK is a serious movie, with multi-layered subtext - there wouldn't have been any place for such silliness in a movie like that. No way would Michael Wilson go that route in this movie.

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:48 PM

Originally posted by B5Erik2
I've never heard of this, or - more importantly - read about this.  I'd be willing to bet good money that it's just another B.S. internet rumor.

Of course it is. It's utter rubbish. Although both Robert Davi and Benicio Del Toro appeared on "Miami Vice".

#12 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:48 PM

"LTK is a serious movie, with multi-layered subtext "

Licence To Kill is serious? Your kidding right, I always thought it was one of the most funny Bond movies.

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:50 PM

Originally posted by B5Erik2

LTK is a serious movie, with multi-layered subtext - there wouldn't have been any place for such silliness in a movie like that.  

Strange that that didn't preclude someone swinging a swordfish in a bar fight, a skeleton showing up when a photograph is X-rayed, and a winking stone fish.:)

#14 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:51 PM

Well, you must admit, Crockett and Tubbs wouldn't look out of place in the movie... :)

#15 B5Erik2

B5Erik2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:57 PM

They wouldn't LOOK out of place, but their characters would be completely out of place in LTK since the tone of LTK is very different from Miami Vice, and the characters in LTK have much more depth than do Crockett or Tubbs.

The swordfish and the skeleton/X-Ray picture fit in under the circumstances of the film without being too jarring, having Crockett & Tubbs would have brought LTK down to the level of Moonraker when you had Jaws saying, "Here's looking at you," to that girl.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 08:13 PM

Where do you get these things, BONDFINESSE? I've never head anything like this and I can

#17 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Dr Noah
"LTK is a serious movie, with multi-layered subtext "
Licence To Kill is serious?  Your kidding right, I always thought it was one of the most funny Bond movies.

Excellent statement, there are no "Miami Vice" scenes in LTK. It is just a very "Gritty" James Bond film.

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 07:44 PM

Granted, there may be no Miami Vice scenes, but there are no James Bond scenes either.

#19 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:36 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Granted, there may be no Miami Vice scenes, but there are no James Bond scenes either.

I would debate that ! "LTK" was the forerunner of the Brosnan Bond. A return to the serious gritty , violent films like "Dr.No" , "FRWL" , "OHMSS" . Far removed from the Moore light comedies of "Moonraker" ,"AVTAK" . It was also a very topically film at the time .

#20 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:46 PM

Oh, so that's what the Dalton films were trying to do. Thank goodness they had an actor {read Pierce Brosnan}happy to play the part who could finally get the job done right.

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:22 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Oh, so that's what the Dalton films were trying to do. Thank goodness they had an actor {read Pierce Brosnan}happy to play the part who could finally get the job done right.

Timothy Dalton is a classically trained British actor . Brosnan has had better directors than DAlton .Who had John Glen . Plus the hack screenwriting on Michael Wilson and Richard Maibaum. Brosnan has some quaility directors . Campbell , Spotteswoode , Apted , Tamahori , are all a improvement over John Glen . Plus in screenwriters Brosnan had Michael France , Bruce Feirstein . Even Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are superior too the work that Wilson and Maibaum did.

#22 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:15 PM

I would watch any other James Bond film before I subject myself to the last 3 Brosnan films.

Goldeneye proves he could be a good Bond, it also proves Cubby knew best.

#23 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Daltonitus
I would watch any other James Bond film before I subject myself to the last 3 Brosnan films.
Goldeneye proves he could be a good Bond, it also proves Cubby knew best.

Cubby Broccoli is dead ! So get over it . The last three Brosnan Bonds are a vast improvement over "GoldenEye" . Plain and simple. "GoldenEye" was a re-hash of every Bond proir to 1995 . Brosnanwas stiff and uncomfortble in the role . Since then it fits him like a second skin. I am sure you must love the Keystone Cops films of Roger Moore namely "Moonraker" and "AVTAK" .

#24 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:01 PM

Dalton may be a classically trained actor that many of you cream your pants over, but does that make him right for the part of James Bond? No. By that same token, if they did Lethal Weapon 5, and they needed a replacement for Mel Gibson, should they just get Daniel Day Lewis to play Martin Riggs because he's such a wonderful actor? No. He's not right for the role. Lewis and Dalton are those types of actors who hate publicity and fanfare, which makes me wonder why they ever became actors in the first place, if they didn't want all the attention.

Michael Wilson a hack....hmm, he's now one of the producers responsible for the series. What a good job to have for a hack. Maibaum wrote or co-wrote a good percentage of the best Bond movies, and he definitely isn't a hack.

Brosnan wasn't stiff as Bond in Goldeneye. He had probably the best debut of any of the Bond actors to date. With Goldeneye, "Timothy who?" became a national catchphrase.

Back on topic, Sonny Crockett should have been in the movie, since Don Johnson has more charisma than Dalton ever had in his best wet dream.

#25 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:05 PM

what?!?! more charisma! are you nuts? now I love Sonny Crocket, but no way is Don Johnson better....sorry...

#26 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:13 PM

I'd rather watch Nash Bridges than a Dalton movie. They're more fun. You can't beat Cheech Marin and Don Johnson.

Come to think of it, I'd rather have a root canal than watch Dalton as Bond. Minus novacaine.

#27 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:16 PM

Maibaum was fired by Broccoli in 1990 . It was reported that he was "finished". That was from a source at EON . Yes Hack , as a hack screenwriter just like Benson was and is a hack writer for literary Bond . Wilson has been forbidden to write any more Bond screenplay. By MGM . Wilson did ,with Maibaum share screen credit on "AVTAK" . Dalton was a good Bond. Younneed to understand that "LTK" was not your typical Bond sci-fi adventure. It was a small scale personal Bond film. The Sonny Crockett bull **** comment was not funny.

#28 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:20 PM

did you just call Maibaum a hack? dude, have not noticed that he wrote or cowrote 13 of the Bond films!

#29 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:27 PM

Originally posted by rafterman
did you just call Maibaum a hack?  dude, have not noticed that he wrote or cowrote 13 of the Bond films!

Richard Maibaum ran out of gas by the time of "AVTAK" and "TLD". He was fired , was he not by Broccoli. Maibaum wrote the early Bond films Dr.No , FRWL , GF , TB , OHMSS outstanding Bond . The quality of the later films speak for themselves. By the late 80's he was finished.

#30 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 10:31 PM

So was Maibaum a hack or was he outstanding? Enquiring minds want to know. And, come on, the Sonny Crockett comment was too funny.