27 replies to this topic

#1 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 07:21 PM

I've wanted to post a poll on this for a long time, but I can't decide who to include besides Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen. Who are the other frequently mentioned, feasible candidates? (I.E. no Russell Crowe, Hugh Grant, and other guys who we know from common sense would never end up playing James Bond).

LMK and I'll get started on that poll.

Dave

#2 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 12:18 PM

Personally I hate polls. The winners are always the most famous of the listed actors/ actresses. That's why actors like Jude Law and Ewan McGregor always win these things. But hey, why the hell not :)

Here's my choice:
Posted Image
West fits the profile of a Bond actor perfectly. Born in Sheffield, Yorkshire, he looks and sounds the part. 6', brown hair, brown eyes. Began appearing in community theater by age 9. Has been acting on and off stage ever since. Starred alongside Sandra Bullock in '28 Days'. Also shared screentime with Mark Wahlberg in 'Rockstar'. Is making quite a name for himself in Hollywood. Plays a crucial role in the Award-winning musical 'Chicago' and stars alongside Julia Roberts in Mike Newells 'Mona Lisa Smile'. Further credits include 'Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace', 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', 'True Blue', 'Surviving Picasso' & 'Richard III'.

To see a good Bond-esque picture of him; click on this link.

#3 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:44 PM

Come on guys, give us your personal top choices. That way we can see how popular many of the potential candidates really are. Especially if we include pictures of the actors. I also think we should include a "Someone else" option in case someone doesn't like any of the options (which is very likely at this point).

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 04:01 PM

crashdrive, why don't you create a "Pick your next Bond" thread along the lines of yesterday's "Pick your BOND 21 director" thread, with links to the actors' IMDB pages?

I'd do it myself, except I'm not sure how to set up these snazzy links.:)

Here's 10 names off the top of my head, in no particular order:

1. Dominic West
2. Jack Davenport
3. Hugh Jackman
4. Clive Owen
5. Adrian Paul
6. Hugh Grant
7. Christian Bale
8. Jude Law
9. Guy Pearce
10. Mel Gibson

#5 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 04:11 PM

Clive Owen. 'Nuff said.

#6 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 05:25 PM

Originally posted by JackChase007
Clive Owen.  'Nuff said.

I don't think so. He doesn't look the part, isn't good-looking enough and lacks sex appeal. Not to mention the fact that he's already losing his hair and has a second chin :).

Sure he's a terrific charismatic actor, but he just doesn't look the part.

#7 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
crashdrive, why don't you create a "Pick your next Bond" thread along the lines of yesterday's "Pick your BOND 21 director" thread, with links to the actors' IMDB pages?

I'd do it myself, except I'm not sure how to set up these snazzy links.:)

Here's 10 names off the top of my head, in no particular order:

1. Dominic West
2. Jack Davenport
3. Hugh Jackman
4. Clive Owen
5. Adrian Paul
6. Hugh Grant
7. Christian Bale
8. Jude Law
9. Guy Pearce
10. Mel Gibson

5. 29 May 1959 (2007: 48 2010: 51) :eek:
6. Tell me why you will that Hugh Grant (Micky Blue Eyes) play Bond.
10. First: Mell Gibson is an American. Second: 3 January 1956 ( 2007: 51 2010: 54) :eek: :eek:

#8 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 07:57 PM

I took the liberty of removing the following actors;
Adrian Paul (who will be too old [49] when Brosnan steps down), Hugh Grant, Jude Law, Christian Bale, Mel Gibson & Guy Pearce (because they are too well known)

Here are the actors I think have the biggest chance.

1. Dominic West ('Chicago', '28 Days' & 'Mona Lisa Smile')
2. Hugh Jackman ('X Men', 'Swordfish' & 'Kate and Leopold')
3. Gerard Butler ('Reign of Fire', 'Timeline' & 'Lara Croft and the Cradle of Life')
4. Jack Davenport ('The Talented Mr. Ripley', 'Fierce Creatures' & 'Pirates of the Caribbean')
5. Jeremy Northam ('The Net', 'The Winslow Boy' & 'Enigma')
6. Ioan Gruffudd ('Hornblower', '102 Dalmatians' & 'Black Hawk Down')
7. Colin Wells (left) ('Titus', 'CI5: New Professionals' & "Crossroads")
8. Clive Owen ('The Bourne Identity', 'Gosford Park' & 'Croupier')
9. James Purefoy ('A Knights Tale', 'Resident Evil' & 'Maybe Baby')
10. None of the above (insert actor you think would be better)

I'm not planning to do a poll, since I know that Clive Owen would win, since he's the fan favorite, eventhough many people do not realise he's not right for the job.

#9 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 11:50 PM

After thought: I'd say Clive Owen looks the least like a Bond actor of the nine actors I've listed above. Although he's probably the actor with the most charisma and talent, his appearance won't help him get the role.

Are there any actors (preferably unknown) you guys would find interesting as a potential Bond actor? I always love to hear new suggestions. I've been out of it for a while. Can anyone tell me more about Scotish actor Gray O Brien (Peak Practice)? I'd love to see a good Bond-esque picture of him. Also I picked up the names Matthew Marsden and Quentin Jones as actors who would love to become Bond. Any word on these actors?

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 12:33 AM

Never heard of Dominic West before, but I clicked on the photo link you provided, crashdrive, and wasn't impressed. He looks extremely camp in that pic (no offence to gay CBners, BTW, and, granted, it might just be that particular image) and not especially handsome.

You say that Bale, Gibson (okay, I deliberately chose that name as a wild card rather than a serious choice), Grant, Law and so on are too well-known, but their names are regularly bandied about in the UK press as contenders. And why don't you put Hugh Jackman into the "too famous" bin as well?

As for your Top Nine, aren't most of them nobodies? Moore and Brosnan were stars before they were Bond, and even Dalton was relatively well-known (in the UK at least).

Davenport and Gruffudd are patently far too young, especially to directly follow Brosnan (although, as I've mentioned on another thread, I certainly think Davenport has potential).

Mind you, George Lazenby was a 28-year-old unknown when he was cast, so what do I know?:)

#11 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 06:16 PM

West looks camp on that particular picture since they were taken by 'GQ'. It's just their style I guess. To see more of West; click on Picture 1, Picture 2 & Picture 3. Perhaps you'll change your mind. But I see your point. He's no Brosnan.
Bale, Law, Pearce, Gibson & Grant are indeed too well known for the role. In the case of Jackman, his popularity is not a problem, since he said in an interview he would accept the part of Bond if EON would offer it to him. However, Bale blew his chance when he made negative comments about EON (I seem to remember reading this at 007 'Forever'), Law is already an Academy Award nominee, Pearce is a leading man after the succes of 'Memento' & 'The Count of Monte Christo', Gibson is too old and Grant has already been typecast. I also think none of these actors look the part. Bale doesn't strike me as a Bond type. I don't think he has enough mainstream charisma. He just seems more at home when playing darker and more evil characters. Law is too cerebral and doesn't have the right look or posture (too slim). Pearce also looks too slim to play Bond and he reminds me of an Australian version of Bale. Although Gibson would have been great when he moved to the states in the mid eighties, he looks too old now to play Bond. Also his pricetag is too much. As for Grant, I don't think I'd buy him as a tough and hard secretagent. He's too posh.
Moore was indeed a star (although only on television), but Brosnan didn't became a household name after 'GoldenEye'. A majority of his films premiered on video or on television. Dalton was unknown in the rest of Europe and in the states. Connery also was only a familiar face in the UK before 'Dr. No' and Lazenby was a complete unknown. Although many of the names I've listed above are fairly unknown, they all worked both in famous Hollywood films co-starring householdnames.
I definately agree Gruffudd and Davenport are too young if Brosnan steps down after Bond 21. But I think they have potential if Brosnan decides to also star in Bond 22.

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 06:27 PM

West still looks camp to me, especially in Picture 2. Still, some good points, crashdrive.

I still can't see an obvious successor for Brosnan. The casting people at EON will certainly have their work cut out for them over the next few years.

#13 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 06:39 PM

West still looks camp to me, especially in Picture 2.

I don't blame you. Wait till you see him in one of his new films. Here's a location photo of his new film 'Mona Lisa Smile' co-starring Julia Roberts.

I still can't see an obvious successor for Brosnan. The casting people at EON will certainly have their work cut out for them over the next few years.

I definately agree. I think a lot of people have potential, but I wouldn't know which actor is 100 procent perfect for the job. But perhaps I wouldn't have been so sure about Brosnan back in 94 either.

#14 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 11:11 PM

crashdrive,as i look to the first picture i see Twine for me.
The Dark style of Brosnan have in that movie.
That's good.
But as i look to the other 2 and picture 3 the moost it look like of i look to X-men.(Mabey he can play in part 3)
But i must say that how more i look to the first picture i see that he can play Bond.
But i must see more (The other people to) work of him.
That's one of the reasens that i can't give you an top 10.

crashdrive,can you give me 1 or two movie's i must see with him,Butler Owen or Jackman.

The only movie i see with jackman is X-Men.

#15 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 04:25 PM

Originally posted by M_Balje
crashdrive,can you give me 1 or two movie's i must see with him,Butler Owen or Jackman. The only movie i see with jackman is X-Men.

Well, in 'X Men' he played a very macho character. I suggest you pick up 'Kate and Leopold' where he plays a character which is exactly the opposite; a posh gentleman. You'd be surprised the range of believable characters Jackman can play. 'Swordfish' will show you his action persona, but also his ability to be a handsome leading man who can carry a film.
I can't give you good suggestions for Butler, since I haven't seen him in many films yet. You could try 'Dracula 2000', but I'd suggest you watch it with an open mind, since he's playing a villain in that one. Wait till 'Timeline' & 'Cradle of Life' will be released here. You can form a better opinion after seeing him in those films (same goes for me).
If you want to see Owen at play, first watch the BMW films, since he at his most 'Bondian' in those. Second watch a film like 'The Bourne Identity' where he's not as polished, but more realistic. If you still feel he's a good choice at that point; go pick up 'Gosford Park' or 'Croupier'. I intentionally recommended films were he's at his most 'Bondian' since I'm curious whether or not you could look past the surface and find that he's definately charismatic, but not Bond material.
As for West, well, I'd like to recommend 'The Wire', but that show is not on Dutch t.v. Instead try to find '28 Days' with Sandra Bullock (he's a complete nutcase in that film, so again keep an open mind) or 'William Shakespeare's A Midsummers Night Dream' where he's at his most, well, 'Shakespearian'.
Let me know what you think. Also read my The Richest Man in the Poorhouse thread.

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 05:24 PM

It realize that fans love to conduct polls on replacing estblished stars in film series. But this one is a waste since by 2007 Bond my no longer be viable as entertainment. And if people ,like Jude law and Ewan McGregor are in the runnning then cinematic Bond should end after Bond 21.

#17 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 09:50 PM

Have a little faith Kev. Bond will never die. Not as long as Bond is a succes. And I don't think a new actor will mean the end of the franchise. You underestimate the power of Bond. He has survived many struggles (Lazenby, Broccoli's Americanization, the Moore era, competition with 'NSNA', bad boxoffice, self parody and a six year gap between Bond films). You think Brosnan's departure is a terrifying thing. I like to look at it as the most exciting and challenging thing the series have faced so far. Because the only way to go at this stage is down.

#18 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 12:14 AM

43 people on my Dutch website vote now how much movie's must stil Brosnan play Bond

Dad is the last with Brosnan i hope: 6 (13%)
Only Bond 21: 5 (11%)
Only Bond 21 and 22: 12 (27%)
Only Bond 21,22 and 23: 4 (9%)
More than 3 times: 16 (37%)

#19 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 01:37 AM

The following website is a great place to find potential candidates. You can find a picture of many rumoured actors and a biography containing pro's and cons. Although the site also features non-candidates like Robbie Williams, Ewan McGregor & Rupert Everett, it's an interesting read nevertheless.

'Who will be the next James Bond?' website

#20 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:52 AM

My top choices are:

- Colin Farrell (don

#21 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:00 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Martini
My top choices are: Colin Farrell (don

#22 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 07:16 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
I'm not planning to do a poll, since I know that Clive Owen would win, since he's the fan favorite, eventhough many people do not realise he's not right for the job.

I don't know, I think it might be close between him and Jackman.

The whole reason I started this thread was to see who besides those two to include in a more realistic poll.

Dave

#23 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 07:37 PM

I keep trying to post a new poll, but it won't let me. There isn't even a checkbox like the FAQ says there is supposed to be. Is this happening for anyone else?

Dave

#24 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:06 PM

Originally posted by rubixcub
I keep trying to post a new poll, but it won't let me.  There isn't even a checkbox like the FAQ says there is supposed to be.  Is this happening for anyone else?Dave

If I'm not mistaking, you have to be one of the crewmembers here if you want to post a poll.

And you're probably right about Jackman. That's a choice I could live with. Are there any other choices you would like?

#25 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 03:04 PM

I'd say either Dominic West, or Hugh Jackman, that picture of Colin Wells is very Bondish I probably pick him over the other two. Just because I'd like a realitve unknown to get the job, like Connery and Lazenby, and to some small degree Dalton. Gerard Butler looks too much like Gene Simmons of KISS in the taht publicity shot, but Jeri Ryan "wow", she's definitely Bond girl material.

#26 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Von Hammerstein
Either Dominic West, or Hugh Jackman, that picture of Colin Wells is very Bondish. Gerard Butler looks too much like Gene Simmons.

Colin Wells is actually Brosnans substitute. If Pierce is not able to show up for an audition, Wells wil replace him. He looks good in that picture, but I'm curious whether you'd still like him after seeing this picture. And who knows, maybe you'll learn to like Butler after seeing this picture.

Glad you like West and Jackman. West is also still an unknown. When I first mentioned his name here, hardly anyone knew who he was. Nice to see a lot of people seem to like him.

#27 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 03:14 AM

Originally posted by crashdrive
Personally I hate polls. The winners are always the most famous of the listed actors/ actresses. That's why actors like Jude Law and Ewan McGregor always win these things. But hey, why the hell not :)

Well actually, that's why I'm doing this. I heard about the Bond poll that gave Jude Law, Ewan McGregor, Christian Bale and Hugh Grant as the only choices- not a realistic contender among them!! So I figured we ought to do our own poll, among the real Bond fans, with actual likely candidates.

Btw, I've only seen West in "Chicago", and he didn't strike me as a potential Bond.

Dave

#28 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 01:43 PM

Originally posted by rubixcub
I heard about the Bond poll that gave Jude Law, Ewan McGregor, Christian Bale and Hugh Grant as the only choices- not a realistic contender among them!!

Like this one; The Next James Bond?? :)