This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

McGregor? Grant? You've got to be kidding!

6 replies to this topic

#1 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 05:35 PM

I've held my tongue about this as long as I've been here, but I've got to ask: why in the world would anyone want the boyish Ewan McGregor or Hugh Grant to play 007?! Neither is right for it. Grant has the more readily apparent explanation, being a staple of romantic comedies, but McGregor is too short, too boyish, and too good an actor. Who, after seeing him in Moulin Rouge, could envision this lovesick puppy as James Bond? Plus, NO ONE should be lucky enough to play both Obi-Wan AND James Bond. Personally, there's just no way I could ever take McGregor seriously as Bond; in everything I've seen him in he's always been too vulnerable and though you root for him, it seems like anyone could take him in a fight.

End rant.

Dave

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 05:39 PM

Originally posted by rubixcub
Personally, there's just no way I could ever take McGregor seriously as Bond; in everything I've seen him in he's always been too vulnerable and though you root for him, it seems like anyone could take him in a fight.

Same goes for Jude Law IMHO. He looks like he'd blow away in a gale.

Hugh Grant, on the other hand.... there's something about him that suggests to me he could play Bond well, in a Moore-meeting-Dalton kind of way (if that makes any sense). I think he could play tough and ruthless as well as comic, and if we've never really seen Grant do that onscreen, it doesn't mean to say he's not capable of it.

Colin Farrell anyone?

#3 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Loomis

Colin Farrell anyone?

Well I've been told that there was an article in a newspaper that claimed Colin Farrel said that he takes ecstacy and I don't think we need someone like that associated with the Bond movies.
I think Brosnan is probably the best Bond and a great actor and I would like to see him do one more and then maybe call it a day.

#4 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 01:50 AM

Honestly, I can imagine Hugh Grant as Bond very well...

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 12:13 AM

I would have no problems with Hugh Grant as Bond. Or Hugh Jackman. Anyone named Hugh!

#6 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 03:10 AM

Originally posted by zencat
I would have no problems with Hugh Grant as Bond. Or Hugh Jackman. Anyone named Hugh!

Okay then. How about Hugh Griffith? LOL.

Dave

#7 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 10:48 AM

I'm with Hugh Jackman all the way. And Mr. Trump, dont believe eveything you read.