#31 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 07:58 PM

Originally posted by zencat
I like TLD, but there are a few areas that I think could have been improved. Whitaker was a good idea for a villain...but he was introduced far too late in the story, and as portrayed by Joe Don Baker lacked all menace. He's like a big kid, isn't that scary? No. And speaking of recasting, where did they find that Felix? They could have done better.  

Also, I would have worked in some larger threat that Bond discovers and thwarts at the end. TLD has no stakes. All Bond really does is help out the Afghans at the end (thanks a lot, James). And the production design is very weak. Compare the Russian airbase jail in TLD to the Russian jail in GE. Okay, maybe that's what jails really look like on Russian airbases, but this is a James Bond film! I don't what reality.

And put back in the flying carpet sequence. :)

John Terry had really nothing to do in what ammounted to a glorified cameo. He's actually been used to great effect in the second season of "24." Bringing Hedison back for LTK was sheer inspiration. Jack Lord would've worked just as well.

Yeah, Joe Don needed to go the Buford pusser route. Break out the hickory and start "Walking Tall!"

I dunno, does Bond have to save the world every time he's on the big screen? I know for some, it's a letdown but a plot foiled is a plot foiled.

As for the Russian airbase jail. It's a Russian airbase jail in Afganistan. LOL If you watch "American Justice" on A&E, they've shown jails in Russia that would make you wretch. They almost make that North Korean cell from DAD look like a suite at the W Times Square.

#32 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 08:03 PM

Dalton should have been able to kick more ***. He never did impress me in the physicality dept.

What would happen with each of the Bonds:
Connery and Lazenby would punch them out.
Moore would either kick them in the face or give them a judo chop
Dalton would just throw an average punch...snore.......
Brosnan would have shot them.

#33 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:22 PM

I'm surprised everyone is so down on John Terry's version of Felix. The guy is not that bad, and as Robinson says, his part amounts to a glorified cameo of about two scenes. At that point of the series, many people or those new to it, may not have had any idea of who Felix was.

But you can't tell me he is any worse than Cec Linder in GF or Norman Burton in DAF. Can anybody really imagine Bond hanging out with either of those two? They are like Bond's uncle or something.

#34 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 07:01 PM

Originally posted by zencat

And put back in the flying carpet sequence. :)

Not having the DVD's, I have yet to see this deleted scene. Tell me, is it really as bad a scene as all that?

Would it have worked just as well had it been left in? I heard all the stories about it not working, along with the Eddie Kidd motorcycle scene, in the context of a Dalton film, but the pics I saw of the filming made it look quite exciting.

Also, is the bike scene also included in the TLD DVD?

Cheers.

#35 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Simon

Not having the DVD's, I have yet to see this deleted scene.  Tell me, is it really as bad a scene as all that?

Would it have worked just as well had it been left in?  I heard all the stories about it not working, along with the Eddie Kidd motorcycle scene, in the context of a Dalton film, but the pics I saw of the filming made it look quite exciting.

Also, is the bike scene also included in the TLD DVD?

Cheers.

It wasn't too bad and may have endeared Dalton a little more to some audiences. Although the actual sliding down the power lines looks like an outtake from the marketplace chase in Octopussy.

Yes, Bond using a banner to swoop down onto the bike is in the scene. It also shows the police guy giving chase getting knocked into a vat of dye, leaving him purple or blue (I can't remember). I had problems with this scene years ago before the film came out. I saw a still of the guy all stained and when I saw the film it was never there. It made nice closure.