7 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 02:44 PM

Wolf's are mysterious, you don't have one as a pet.
I remember Harry decribing Connery as a cat, the way he walks.

Well, with Dalton, it's more about his glaring, especially in LTK, with his hair back, looking out of Sanchez's window, eyeing everything, I've read posts that Tim resembles a wolf a bit from CBN from a poster, and on IMDB which is the mega database of users replying with comments on all the films in the industry.

Add this, I wonder who's idea it was in TLD to make the whistle to activite the key finder, a wolf whistle?

Add to that, Timothy did a documentry on Wolfs, check out by going to IMDB:
http://us.imdb.com/N...Dalton, Timothy
that mini series wild life, it's on video, if someone does some searching, it's called something like in the company of wolves.

Dalton likes Wolves.
Dalton brought the animal glares into his acting, certainly when you see the first shot of Tim in TLD looking as a agent falls off the cliff, its another shot of him glaring, a Wolf looking, Wolf is silent until he wants to make himself known.

I scene I wished he did as Bond, when he came face to face with a Wolf in one of his missions, and he glares at the Wolf, then nods, smiles, continues on with his mission, in the forests or some place.:cool:

I didn't put much into Timothy's approach when I was young, but LTK and TLD has so much more depth to it, which makes it great going back to watch them again.

#2 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 02:50 PM

I found it, I remember reading this user from IMDB comments on LTK, he menstioned wolfish as well, plus it's a great review on LTKl
Link:
http://us.imdb.com/C...Show?0097742-90

Date: 15 July 2001
Summary: Goddam, another underrated classic. But how?

***By the way there might be some SPOILERS in this comment***This film is like the drink Guinness i.e an acquired taste. I missed it in the cinema when it first came out, which surprises me as I loved Dalton's Bond in The Living Daylights. It is a film that just gets better with every viewing, which is not always the case with other Bond films.

The way that Dalton just builds the character as the film progresses is great to watch. He plays the part from several dimensions, and avoids being samey. He is not trying to sell himself to the audience within the first ten minutes by trying to be cool or funny, which takes a lot of guts.

Some people say he lacks the charisma and presence which is like saying that a Ferrari lacks speed, and performance. He has unbelievable screen presence. Just watch the scene where he first meets Sanchez in his office. As he is waiting for Sanchez, he strolls up to the window, and utters " Lovely view". His face expression is wolfish, and his tone of voice has a coolness one would expect from Clint Eastwood. As the scene progresses, the way he handles himself is brilliant, and his approach is cool in a deadly way. In this scene, Dalton has an unusual confidence in the way he introduces himself to Sanchez and sells himself; and bearing in mind who Sanchez is and what he is capable of doing if he takes a dislike to you makes the scene all the more dramatic and great.

As for humour, well it is not instant where one works it out on first viewing. Take for instance the scene where Bond meets Q. That is dead funny, with Dalton playing off Desmond Llewellyn. Just watch Dalton's extremely subtle expressions using his eyes which give off a sarcasm to Q without saying anything (The scene which I am referring to is where Q says "If it hadn't been for Q branch you would have been dead a long time ago.". Also on the subject, the villain played by Robert Davi is funny but in an evil way. His humour is in some ways literal and in others sarcastic. Although he is evil, you tend to have a liking for him which takes a certain skill as an actor to achieve.

The villain in this film also has an incredible inner confidence, and in my opinion is one of the best villains in the series. He is believable as a drug lord, and just in his conversational ability gives off an immense sense of power. He can say it all with just one word in some cases.

The bond girls as always are very pretty. There is an unusual approach in one scene which should have led to a love scene but didn't. When Q retires for the night, Bond assumes that he is going to share the room with the girl, but in this case she decides that perhaps he has been unfaithful and says " Sweet dreams Mr Bond" and closes the door on him. This scene is provocative without anything happening between the two characters because of how she is dressed, how she plays it sexily and the sense that Bond really looks like he could have done with her company that night, but instead must share a room with Q!. Certainly an interesting twist for a James Bond film, and very effective, not to mention humorous.

All in all, Licence to kill is unjustly underrated, but will not date because of great and well developed acting performances especially between Dalton, and Davi give it a timeless appeal;in a way like a spaghetti western with Clint Eastwood. Also it is not technologically driven but psychologically, and good psychology cannot date.

Dalton's Bond may not be the most popular or acclaimed, but that is because people base their opinions of him on what others have told them, and by wanting to fit in with popular consensus, because that is the easier and more comfortable option. Their arguments against him clearly sound badly thought out and what is worse indoctrinated, which makes them easy to break down as I have found out on several occasions. But then again what do you expect, when you read a film poll saying that Star Wars is the greatest film of all time or Steven Spielberg is the greatest director!

A real shame that we didn't get that third Dalton Bond film because of the legal battle between MGM and Danjaq Inc. I just imagine how good that one would have been.

#3 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 04:55 AM

i must ask forgivness to the dalton fans, after watching ltk after so many years, it hit me just how good daltons performance really is....he just has that look about him that bond is not playing this time and he is going to kill everyone for what has been done to him and his friends. i really had to put my own likes and dilikes aside to see the great performance that dalton did, and thats coming from someone that perfers brosnan over dalton but i cannot tell a lie nomatter how much i like pierce.......dalton did a hell of a good job.

i have not seen that look that dalton had with any other bond not even pierce

#4 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 11:58 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
i must ask forgivness to the dalton fans, after watching ltk after so many years, it hit me just how good daltons performance really is....he just has that look about him that bond is not playing this time and he is going to kill everyone for what has been done to him and his friends. i really had to put my own likes and dilikes aside to see the great performance that dalton did, and thats coming from someone that perfers brosnan over dalton but i cannot tell a lie nomatter how much i like pierce.......dalton did a hell of a good job.

i have not seen that look that dalton had with any other bond not even pierce

You are forgiven BONDFINESSE 007

Dalton does have a "wolfishness" about him and his looks, especially in LTK when he was at his meanest.
People often compared him to the young Laurence Olivier.

If you want to see Dalton looking like a real wolf, watch him in 1996's "Salt Water Moose" in which he plays a bearded character called Lester Parnell

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 01:26 PM

Just so no one is confused. Harry described Connery as a panther, not as a house cat or something fluffy like that.

#6 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
Just so no one is confused. Harry described Connery as a panther, not as a house cat or something fluffy like that.

Yeah, just watch Connery in Dr No as he enters M's office in his tux - the way he moves, light-footed and elegant - not slouching like a thug.

Just like a panther!

#7 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 04:59 PM

Hey I knew I was forgetting something, one more thing about Wolf and Dalton:
There was a episode in The Tales of Crypt tv series I remember watching the ending of one episode I regretted missing, it was Timothy Dalton in a werewolf episode back in 1991. That was one cool episode. And another link he likes wolves.

#8 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 07:20 PM

Connery and Dalton mentioned in the same sentence, and on good terms...Dalton can only wish.