Benson & PS2

13 replies to this topic

#1 colonel_13

colonel_13

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:11 PM

The next Bond movies have to be abslutly have to be based on the Garner/Benson Novels and the two new PS2 games, Agent Under Fire and Nightfire. Tell me where I'm wrong:).

By the way check out my site and give me feedback... http://www.geocities.com/jblack502007 my email is [email protected].

Thanx for the feedback.

#2 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 11:04 PM

Gardner and Benson novels, sure, but PS2 games...hell no! Part of the problem with the EA Bond games is their APALLING plots. Why does Drake want nukes and why is he trying to destroy earth without making a demand for money first? Surely he'd run out of resources on that tiny space station? And how the hell did Malprave figure out how to mass produce instantly-matured clones?

#3 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 12:57 AM

Wrong in all points. Fleming should be the only spiritual father for the films. Let the writers use there brains and come out with own good stories.

#4 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 11:33 AM

Why not base the games on the novels if the filmmakers won't use them? At least we'd get some better titles (Nobody Lives Forever probably wouldn't work though).

Of course they wouldn't because of the whole money thing- but it could be nice, n'est pas?

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Martini
Wrong in all points. Fleming should be the only spiritual father for the films. Let the writers use there brains and come out with own good stories.

Because that's working so well for them... :)

#6 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 05:59 PM

Well I think you're being a bit harsh on Benson there, John. But, darn it, you've made me think twice: perhaps good ol' Ray isn't quite as good as I thought...

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 06:23 PM

No, you misunderstand (or are you just messing with me?). The "writer" reference I was quoting above was about the screenwriters (at least I thought it was--maybe I misunderstood Martini's post), not Benson or Gardner. But I don't mean to be harsh on the screenwriters either. I was just joking. I'm happy with the books and films (and if I played the games I'm sure I'd like those too). No complaints. Just keep 'em coming.

#8 colonel_13

colonel_13

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 06:23 PM

Originally posted by PaulZ108
Gardner and Benson novels, sure, but PS2 games...hell no!  Part of the problem with the EA Bond games is their APALLING plots.  Why does Drake want nukes and why is he trying to destroy earth without making a demand for money first?  Surely he'd run out of resources on that tiny space station?  And how the hell did Malprave figure out how to mass produce instantly-matured clones?

I completely agree but if they just modified the plots of the PS2 games I think they'd have something. And not that I'm against DAD, but it seems like a rip off of other Bond flix. They just need something new.

#9 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 06:25 PM

Originally posted by zencat

Because that's working so well for them... :)

yes it's working very well.

#10 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 11:03 PM

Gardner/Benson adaptations... maybe.

Agent Under Fire and NightFire - no! Dear lord, no! Agent Under Fire had a terrible story, and NightFire's was only slightly better. Way too ridiculous for Bond!

#11 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 11:32 PM

Well I think what they should do is read up again on the original Fleming material and come up with their own "Fleming-esque" story.

I mean, Fleming didn't really change his main formula for all his novels, and I think Danjaq, MGM-UA, and everybody else on 007 really have everyright to come up with stories as serious as the level of "From Russia With Love" (plus more action and computer effects) even if such a project would not seem entirely original.

The times these days, with war looming in the middle east call for a more serious Bond anyway. Hey...the Middle East, unaccounted for chemical weapons, a despotic nation in diplomatic trouble with the west, a new idea in there, perhaps?

I mean, Dr. No WAS relevant to the troubles of the US rocket tests in the 60's was it not?

#12 colonel_13

colonel_13

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball8
Well I think what they should do is read up again on the original Fleming material and come up with their own "Fleming-esque" story.

I mean, Fleming didn't really change his main formula for all his novels, and I think Danjaq, MGM-UA, and everybody else on 007 really have everyright to come up with stories as serious as the level of "From Russia With Love" (plus more action and computer effects) even if such a project would not seem entirely original.

The times these days, with war looming in the middle east call for a more serious Bond anyway.  Hey...the Middle East, unaccounted for chemical weapons, a despotic nation in diplomatic trouble with the west, a new idea in there, perhaps?

I mean, Dr. No WAS relevant to the troubles of the US rocket tests in the 60's was it not?

I agree,
But it just doesn't seem like the sreenwriters have the same idea, all i'm saying is we need to change something in the films because at the end of DAD I was waiting for it to say
"THE END of DAD, but James Bond will return in
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER" I figured at least a novel like ZMT or HTTK would be a great Bond Flic.

#13 _JW_

_JW_

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 07:15 PM

ZMT? Yeah, that novel rocked in my opinion, but wouldn't that be a 'little' dated if they made a film of it now?

#14 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 03:21 AM

I really would not mind seeing the "Union" trilogy made into a trilogy of films down the line (that would probably hafta wait until after Brosnan, so we have the same Bond thru-out all three movies). Although, I think that some of the gadgetry should be toned down, and Never Dream of Dying would need some SERIOUS reworking (it just wasn't as powerful as the previous two stories).