30 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 10:52 PM

Jude Law is the film fans favourite to take over the role of James Bond when Brosnan quits the role acording to Total Film magazine he beat Ewan McGregor who has been suggested a lot on this forum by 2% of the votes.

Jude law 28%
Ewan McGregor 26%
Christian Bale 24%

Hugh Grant managed 2% of the votes.
I have never thought of Jude Law playing Bond but I think he could do a good job although I only remember seeing him in AI. I would prefer a english actor where McGregor is scottish although I have always said he would do a great job and would be a very good choice. I think Law will be 34 when the 2007 movie is realeased so he would be younger than the others when they started except for connery who I think was 31 but still I think he looked older than that.

#2 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 01:01 AM

I never thought of Jude Law as Bond . lets pray that it does not come to this.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 02:55 AM

I wouldn't vote for any of those guys. (Christian Bale though only because I'm not familiar with him.)

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Mr Trump
Hugh Grant managed 2% of the votes.

Zencat will be disappointed.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

Zencat will be disappointed.

Who else would you think the 2% was? :)

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:27 AM

How tall is law? Should a Bond always be 6ft, would 5 11 ever do?

#7 Imperator

Imperator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:37 AM

Dr. Tynan, I don't like Jude Law, but height is not so important. If the guy has all the rest of things needed to play Bond, and he's the best, but he's 5.8, I think (using the tricks of XXI century's cinema) nobody will notice he's not 6 or 6.2 ft.

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:44 AM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix

Who else would you think the 2% was? :)

LOL. He may have roped in a few friends too.

Can't believe that poor Hugh didn't get a better showing. Maybe the mag's Bond fans don't want a Bond movie with a voice over.
:)

#9 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 04:18 AM

Does anyone have a picture of him?

#10 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Jeff007
Does anyone have a picture of him?

Some pics of Jude Law from IMDB.com:

Jude Law

I don't think he'd make a bad Bond, that is if he 'trained' well for the role. I guess I can see him wearing the signature tux.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 05:41 AM

Thuffner, I gather you hit the "quote" button on my post by mistake, as I hadn't made any comment on Jude Law.

Until now, that is. :)

At only 28% it's hardly conclusive that he is the peoples choice. To me this indicated that they are still waiting for someone better suited to pop out of the woodwork.

As a matter of interest, was Hugh Jackman included in this poll?

BTW, welcome to the CBn forums Thuffner.
:)

#12 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat
BTW, welcome to the CBn forums Thuffner.[/FONT][/B] :) [/B]

Thanks. :)

#13 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 02:15 PM

The problem with magazine polls like that is they take a well known actor and thrust him into the role, so there is little to it than just a convenient question. But there is no mention of somebody like Hugh Jackman, who is pretty well known in his own right.

I don't see Jude Law as Bond in any way. McGregor also seems like a stretch. Bale is the closest thing on that poll to resembling Bond.

#14 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 08:38 PM

Jude Law has a little too much ... unsavoury about him. Don't ask me why, but he just seem 'straight' enough (I'm not talking sexuality, but ... dammit he does have a stiff enough lip!)

CHristian Bale gets my vote so up his percentage count by 0.00001%

#15 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:24 PM

I think that Clive Owen really should be Bond after Brosnan. He's got a very gritty look to him.

#16 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:33 PM

Originally posted by JackChase007
I think that Clive Owen really should be Bond after Brosnan.  He's got a very gritty look to him.

Well said mate. I think Owen will prove to be a good Bond. I think Jude Law is an interesting choice - don't see why he couldn't have a go at 007(all depends on what his opinion is and whether he would want to get tied down to a 3 pic contract):)

#17 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:50 PM

I must say Law in my opinion is wrong - he has a boys figure and hes way too thin. McGregor is more like it with those handsome good looks and Scottish accent.

#18 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 12:05 AM

Jude Law

29 December 1972
Lewisham, London, England, UK

Posted Image

No,he is to young for play the role of the Secret Agent and he don't have the looks for it.

#19 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 01:31 AM

Who all was included in this poll? Law, McGregor, Bale, Grant, and who else?

Clearly they didn't include Jackman or Owen, only guys who are too well-known for other things.

Dave

#20 Termin8Anakin

Termin8Anakin

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 01:56 PM

Jude Law Looks great for the part, with all the pictures of him I've seen. But if you look at him in films like Gattaga and AI, he looks like a sly fellow who would be more suited to play a Bond villain.

Hugh Grant is DEFINITELY a no no. I question why he was even a fave in the polls, ever.

Ewan McGregor looks like Jude Law, so the both of them get my pick, but Jude Law is my fave for Bond after Brosnan.

Law and McGregor just need to age around 5 years.

And Kingdom Come: Bond with a scottish accent is only Connery. No one else. There is no 'sh' sound for McGregor's s's, so it won't be the same.

Hugh Jackman would be alright I guess, but definitely NOT Russell Crowe. Please.
Jackman looks like a suave man, and he's old enough I guess, so he would do alright, better than Lazenby that's for sure.

#21 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 01:41 AM

Jude Law maybe young, but tell you one thing, I'm not picky over details, but Law's got a receding hairline, I hope he can stablise it until 2007 comes around, or do a connery and get a wig.

I don't mind Law, but I prefer Christian Bale or Mcgreggor. Christian Bale seems very natural in those elegent roles, although both might seem more Bond like in 5 years. I wouldn't rule any of them out, it's just a new Bond is not needed now, so I'll see what they look like in 2007 maybe.

Law looks too much of a young college student right now, be interesting to see him more older, then he might appear better, Brosnan to me, didn't look like Bond in the late 80s, but post 95, he's like a different actor with age and more Bond like.

Aging changes alot of things, we can only wait and watch.

#22 grimxl

grimxl

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:12 AM

As stated before, it's too soon to start picking a new 007 as Pierce probably has the role for 2 more films (one for sure) but I would have to go with Hugh Jackman at this point. He can be tough and ruthless as in "X-Men" and also suave and debonair as in "Kate and Leopold", he's good in action scenes, looks good in a tux and seems to have the right blend of humor/nastiness to him. Don't know how old he'd be in, say 2007 or 2009 but he'd have be early-to-mid 40's or so, perfect for Bond.

#23 The Girl With The Golden Gun

The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Location:Deep inside my hollowed out volcano...in the South of England!

Posted 30 January 2003 - 03:54 PM

Haha Hugh Grant got 2% of the vote!! he's certainly off the list.
But Jude Law as Bond? Noooooo, never.
As for Christan Bale, well he's certainly got the looks, but has anyone seen "American Psycho" ? I mean, i'd just be thinking of him getting ready to chop someone up!!

I reckon Clive Owen would make a great James Bond, if it wasn't for the fact that he's a damn good actor!! failing that, Colin Farrell. Like Pierce, he's irish, PLUS he's appearing in Bourne Identity/Bond-esque thriller "The Recruit" later this year, plus he's gorgeous!! :)

#24 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 05:25 PM

Why wouldn't you want a damn good actor playing Bond? Haha...

I think it's a crime that Owen was given such a small part in the film (yes, it was certainly effective and well-done), but in the end they make him a character that you start to pity, unlike the other Treadstone assassins. It was as if they were going to lead up to something, then decided "Eh, what the hell - let's just kill him here and now!"

#25 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 06:14 PM

i think we should start some kind of a petition going to try and get Owen as the next 007. he's reportedly considered the role but has declined.

it would do wonders for his already booming career, and u only have to look at pierce to show that he will get other roles outside bond (with the possible exception of Osnard in Tailor of Panama, which is a kind of anti-bond). what does everyone think?

#26 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 07:57 PM

I'm in.

#27 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 03:12 PM

to UK readers of this thread - did anyone see that recent ITV drama premiere "state of mind" (which, with the exception of luscious Andrew Lincoln, was pants)? i was watching the 2nd part of it when i thought that for some reason, the bloke playing Niamh Cusack's cheating husband could play Bond ?? i know he looks (and prob is, i don't know) too old, maybe it was his steely blue eyes, kinda a cross between Dalton and Brosnan...

#28 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 01:12 AM

Clive Owen is the older of Law, Bale, Mcgreggor, which while he'll make a decent Bond now, where talking 2007 at the earliest, and not everyone ages like a Brosnan, Owen is 38 now, be about 42 in 2007, which is kinda pushing it for your first Bond film with at least 2 more to do.

Hugh Jackman is actually in his early 30s, and will still be under 40 by 2007, so Jackman as long he ages good like a Brosnan, got a good chance.

Bale in 2007 will look more like Bond with age, getting into the mid 30s.

Owen looks like he's in his prime to play Bond now, but the thing is while Pierce has another one to do, Owen is aging and is older then all the other bond choices said in the thread, by 2007 it would be pushing it, so I don't think Owen will be Bond, but hey, future is not written.

#29 Mak Man

Mak Man

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 07:14 PM

Here are 2 more suggestions... how about Hugh Jackman and Collin Farell?

#30 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 08:58 PM

NOT Hugh Jackman. I'm sorry, but no. But Col Farrell, now THAT would be interesting..... but nah, he's too "cute"! whereas all other bonds were handsome and had an air of charm n coolness, in my opinion they weren't overtly gorgeous as Col is (well, maybe Pierce, but he's getting on a bit now). The character would, however, fit in well with Farrell's womanising - Britney Spears, Claudia Schiffer..and thats just this week!! :)

mmmmmm, he is tasty tho....

user posted image