8 replies to this topic

#1 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:44 AM

I read this the other day on a Bond site about Goldfinger and I laughed because it is just funny how the old Bonds directors and writers were bolder than the new ones.

As we all know Pussy Galore says to Bond, "I am Pussy Galore." Then Bond says, " I must be dreaming."

But the original line was this, Pussy says to Bond, "I am Pussy Galore." Bond says, "I know you are. But what is your name?"

They decided to change it at the last moment because the studio had said it was too sugestive and they may have to explain it.

All I know is the line they did use is hilarious, but the original line, man that would have been maybe the best line of all time in movie history.

#2 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:11 PM

I'm still stunned that in 1964 they actually allowed her to be called "Pussy Galore." I still can't say it in my house!!! Stunned that they didn't change it for the movie. Stunned!!!

#3 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:53 PM

I remeber reading once that honor blackman had a picture in the paper with the Prince. They told the news paper that the caption must read "Pussy and the Price". And from there the name was allowed because the Prince must have aproved of it.

#4 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:48 PM

I'm just glad that they kept it in. They changed too many other cool Fleming plots and story lines.
I also read that in The Legacy, but I have a question...If the newspaper-reading public already knew who she was, wouldn't you assume that the film was already shot?
I've been confused about that since I read it. It doesn't seem like the timing is right.

#5 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 05:02 PM

What 's so stunning about it. Lesbian are and were a fact of life . They tried to use the name "Kitty" . would that have made a difference ? The Bond Babe with the name i have a problem with is " Dr. Holly Goodhead" it is so stupid. Bond babe names were puns ,jokes, "male" fantasy. That just raw sexual disgust

#6 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 05:32 PM

That name's pretty stupid, too. I just think that a character named Pussy Galore in a 1964 film is surprising, considering that only a few years earlier, they wouldn't even show Ricky and Lucy in the same bed. (When the Hell was that **** on...anyway.) It's not surprising because of the lesbian aspect. That's an aspect that's actually toned down for the movie. Talked about only in innuendo..."You can turn off the charm. I'm immune." That could've been read as the typical Bond-girl hard-to-get act. In the novel, she's overtly lesbian.

Not the point.

I'd like to know more about "Pussy and the Prince" though. I'm just surprised that it wasn't changed, that's all.

#7 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 05:48 PM

Your right again, then remember Rosa Klebb in FRWl , in the novel any she was a lesbian . And in the book attempts to seduce Tatiana Romanova . Fleming was rather graphic , while the film just hinted at it " a real labor of love" . But in Goldfinger a real "lesbian" no matter how handsome Bond 'is", would not shift sexually that rapid.

#8 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 07:20 PM

By the way, how perfect was the casting of Rosa Klebb???

#9 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 10:34 PM

Excellent , Lotte Lenya was Rosa Klebb .