1 reply to this topic

#1 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 09:05 PM

Before anyone gets confused, I'll explain that I put two different topics in the same thread due to laziness, and the fact that they are remotely connected. Anyway...

I've noticed that in Gardner's (and Benson's) novels, Bond is referred to, at least once, as '007' in the narrative. My understanding and memory tell me that Fleming never wrote '007' but rather 'Bond' or 'James Bond'.

Now, this is probably wildly generalising, but does an author who chooses to call Bond '007' write bad plots? Look at Gardner's end ones, or any of Benson's, they have terrible plots, and bodn is referred to as '007'.

Aside from the generalisation, I find this use of '007' very inappropriate. I can't say exactly why, but I guess it strikes me as very 'fanfic' to use '007'. Not to offend fan fiction writers, but I've noticed the use in many fanfics, and I suppose one 'expects more' from Fleming or Gardner, or Benson.

Now the second topic: Did you know that when I read TMFB (my first Gardner!) I thought Pete (unpronounceable last-name) was making a mistake about Bond's rank, and this was just a quirk. But I read WLOD, and I found out that it was true.

But why? Lieutenants can fly Harriers, so why does Bond need the promotion? Is it for his position as head of security? If so, why doesn't he get demoted upon completing the mission?

I may have found a reason: Gardner was reflecting the 'officer bloat' of the military, so he showed how the Navy'll promote someone rather than have comprehensive pay-scales based on expertise. But this is the Royal Canadian Navy I'm talking about, so I don't know if the RN had this problem.

Everyone complains about Captain (Naval) Bond, but what about the fact that Bond is 'returned to active service'? Was he active before? Fleming always wrote Bond as a 'chocolate sailor', so I can't see from where Gardner got that one.

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 10:51 PM

My understanding and memory tell me that Fleming never wrote '007' but rather 'Bond' or 'James Bond'.

I don't know if he ever wrote it, but he referred to himself as it a few times.