22 replies to this topic

#1 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 08:04 PM

According to the German Heyne publishing house the German versions of Ian Flemings James Bond Novels will be re-published in 2003. There's no exact date yet, but German James Bond fans will be happy as the last edition of Fleming books was published in 1999.

An interesting fact: while the Gardner & Benson books were published by Heyne already in the past, the Fleming books were published by Scherz. There is no further information why Scherz - after 4 decades - sold the rights to Heyne. CBn will keep you informed.

It also seems that there will be 'classic' covers, because Heyne asked Bond fans whether they like 'classic' or 'modern' covers better, and most fans wanted the classic covers back.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 10:44 PM

Cool. Make sure you let us know when pics of the covers appear.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:08 AM

A different publisher promises unique covers. I believe Zencat is heading for yet another collection :)

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 04:30 AM

Where do I vote for 'classic'?

#5 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 11:18 AM

It was not exactly a vote, but they asked members of the German James Bond Club last year I think. :) Anyway, I got all my Fleming/Gardner/Amis/Wood books via ebay, so I have loads of different covers :) Anyway, does anyone know how to get "COLD"? "COLD" was one of three Gardner novels which were not translated into German, and I just got the other two. But I've no idea how to get COLD :)

#6 German Bond 007

German Bond 007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 12:31 PM

wonderful! (hi tim, ich bins)

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Tim007 (edited)
Anyway, does anyone know how to get "COLD"? "COLD" was one of three Gardner novels which were not translated into German, and I just got the other two. But I've no idea how to get COLD :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=20045

Just keep your eye open on eBay as you can see from the above example Cold can get pretty expensive, but if you have patience you could eventually find a good deal if you don't care about the condition of the book. (As long as all the words are there, does it really matter if you're only buying it to read it?)

And for you, Tim, if you see one that ships only in the U.S., you can have it shipped to me and I'll ship it to you.

#8 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 10:59 AM

Great news that is. This finally gives me a chance to get those I don't own yet (and of course to spend some extra money on those I already have, but will buy to complete the edition).

I started reading the Flemings in 2001, when it was nearly impossible to get all of them. Some of that 1999 Scherz Edition were still available, but only about 6 or 7 of those. This edition looked great, an all black cover with golden lettering and a small red image on it (I'll attach the cover of FRWL for those interested in having a look). Will take some time browsing through second hand bookstores until I completely own that edition.

I have no idea why the publisher changes from Scherz to Heyne. Scherz has just published the German edition of "The Legacy", I don't know why they should stop their involvement in Bond. I've already emailed my brother who has a bookshop. Maybe he can get some information and can also find out more about the publishing date.

Oh, BTW, there's an interesting link for those looking for rare books: try out www.zvab.com, that is Zentrales Verzeichnis Antiquarischer B

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 04:49 PM

Thank you for that link.

I'd really like to put together a complete set of Heyne Gardner titles because I love the cover art. Were ALL the Gardner titles done? I have FSS, ICE, ROH, NLF, LTK, and GE. What am I missing?

I saw this one on the German ebay site, but I'm not sure what title this is. Win Lose or Die maybe? Great cover! I want it, but the seller won't ship to the USA. :)

But I'll check out that site and maybe I can buy them as a set.

#10 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 06:42 PM

That cover is Win Lose or Die, indeed (the German translation means "Win or Die, Mr. Bond").

I'm not that much into the Gardner novels (still have to read some Flemings), Tim should know more on that subject. But I found a German page where the Gardner books are listed (including title scans). Seems that you are still missing some of them. Check out http://www.dzwiza.de...ardner/bond.htm (Tim, according to that page, there were five Gardner novels that weren't translated into German, not three. But maybe, that page isn't up to date.)

"License Renewed" looks like an old Scherz publication. This is a classic Scherz cover art, with those red pictures and the black&white stripes in the top left corner.

My brother told me that, if looking for rare books, one should also check out www.sfb.at. This is an Austrian site (with English version) and they have 955 hits on "James Bond". Unfortunately, he had a day off and hasn't been to his shop today. But he promised to find out about the new Heyne publications ASAP. And of course, he'll get me as much promotional material as he can get.

And, zencat, if you desperately want to have that copy of "Win Lose or Die" just email me (if you still have my adress, otherwise PM), that should be no problem...

#11 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 06:44 PM

Oh. Just noticed that I didn't attach that '99 edition cover in my first post.
Still interested? Here it is...

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 06:51 PM

Thank you for that link, stromberg. That is a great page! Exactly what I needed. Okay, it looks like the ones I need are: No Deals, Scorpius, Win Lose, and Brokenclaw ("Drive to Hell, Mr. Bond"? Awsome! I gotta have that Brokenclaw!). So I'm sending the SOS out to all my German Bond friends. Can anyone help me out? I would love to get all of them at the same time, if possible.

I don

#13 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 07:51 AM

First of all: I'm sorry I haven't replied before. I've read in the forums, but I'm doing a one week work experience at the moment and I had absolutely no time to answer. :)

stromberg, you're right. There are 5 Gardners which haven't been translated into German, my fault. I also know the page you've given, but I haven't been there for about a year or so, so I completely forgot about "Seafire" and "Death Is Forever". I was kinda jazzed that day. I don't own them, so there are 3 Gardner novels missing. Evan, thank you for your offer :) If I see one of the 3 novels and the seller doesn't ship to Germany, I'll ask you :)

So John & stromberg you're organizing the Gardner edition for John? If not, same offer: if the seller doesn't ship to the USA, ask me :)

BTW stromberg, although I'm a Social Democrat and like Mr. Beck, I don't like the idea of becoming one Bundesland together with the Saarland. :) That's the first time ever I support a Conservative, so stand your man, Mr. M

#14 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 09:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tim007
First of all: I'm sorry I haven't replied before. I've read in the forums, but I'm doing a one week work experience at the moment and I had absolutely no time to answer. :)

stromberg, you're right. There are 5 Gardners which haven't been translated into German, my fault. I also know the page you've given, but I haven't been there for about a year or so, so I completely forgot about "Seafire" and "Death Is Forever". I was kinda jazzed that day. I don't own them, so there are 3 Gardner novels missing. Evan, thank you for your offer :) If I see one of the 3 novels and the seller doesn't ship to Germany, I'll ask you :)

So John & stromberg you're organizing the Gardner edition for John? If not, same offer: if the seller doesn't ship to the USA, ask me :)

BTW stromberg, although I'm a Social Democrat and like Mr. Beck, I don't like the idea of becoming one Bundesland together with the Saarland. :) That's the first time ever I support a Conservative, so stand your man, Mr. M

#15 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 09:36 AM

Wonderful!

I checked out the sites stromberg and found loads of books :) Gardner books from 2,95$! And first editions from 94,95$ :)

--> SeaFire
--> Death Is Forever

But why the **** is the cheapest COLD I could find 140$!!??!! It even goes up to 600$!

Unfortunately, I haven't found any information about international shipping :) Does anyone lnow about alibris?

#16 OlafD

OlafD

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 09:22 PM

Ich stosse erst heute auf dieses interessante Forum. Leider ist mein Englisch nicht sonderlich gut, so dass ich zun

#17 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 05:19 PM

Ah, da schau an!

Die Seite war auf jeden Fall durchaus hilfreich und ist jedenfalls 'ne Referenz f

#18 OlafD

OlafD

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 09:40 PM

[quote]Originally posted by stromberg
Die restlichen Bensons und Gardners wurden nicht ver

#19 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 03:22 PM

[quote]Originally posted by OlafD
Niedrige Verkaufszahlen: Die beiden Benson-Ver

#20 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 04:32 PM

Very interesting indeed, stromberg :)

W

#21 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 04:53 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Tim007
Very interesting indeed, stromberg :)

W

#22 OlafD

OlafD

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 11:44 AM

Die Seite war auf jeden Fall durchaus hilfreich und ist jedenfalls 'ne Referenz f

#23 the007JamesBond

the007JamesBond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 12:45 PM

jepp, bei Ebay wurden h