9 replies to this topic

#1 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 06:58 PM

I am one of those who enjoys John Barry's music regardless of the film. Still it was Bond in which i came to know his work. Originally Barry intend to uses lyrics for the title song . I have read that Leslie Bricusse had all ready written the lyrics for it. But the producers scraped the idea, so Barry instrumental opening . His any one every confirmed this or seen or heard the lyrics. The instrumental opening theme is good , what kind of lyrics would work. For me the rest of the music and the 2 other songs are great also . I enjoy the candy coated "Do you know how christmas trees are grown ?"sung by Nina . ( was this the pun for Dr. Jones 's name in TWINE ) . And love the love theme which comes from the novel , "We have all the time in the world" sung the the great Louis Armstrong .

#2 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:04 AM

I agree with you, Kev. But I don't know the lyrics to the title song though. I can only imagine that the title of the film went over the triplet section at the end of each verse though.

Incidently, did you know that the romantic theme used when Bond seduces Ruby and Nancy is titled "Who Will Buy My Yesterdays?" My understanding is that Barry liked the music in those scenes and later expanded to a full song. You can hear it on the first Bond Is Back CD. (This is not the Alpine Room music when he first meets the girls)

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:42 PM

The upcoming special edition CD release of OHMSS next month may have some surprises like that included. I haven't seen any specific info on it yet, but who knows what it may hold.

#4 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:13 PM

I got into a scrape with a quizmaster in a pub once over the music from OHMSS. He asked this trivia question - "What was the artist name and the song title of the OHMSS theme tune?". I said it was John Barry's instrumental track of the same name as the film. When it came to the answers though, the quiz guy said it was the Louis Armstrong one that was 'the theme'. WTF is with that? I told him he was wrong but he got really rude and threatened to kick me out of the pub.

This isn't the first time this has happened either. In a different pub quiz, the question once got asked of "Who was the first on-screen Bond girl?". I said it was Eunice Gayson, but some nerdy dufus claimed it was Ursula Andress. Everyone else in the pub must have had Andress too judging by the lack of boos.

Anyway, sorry to sidetrack the thread. Continue...

#5 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 05:12 PM

Scottlee,

I feel your pain. Sometimes too much Bond knowledge can be a hinderance in those sorts of trivia contests.

One that I tried to argue:

Who was the first person to play James Bond on the big screen?

OK, everyone knows its Connery.

Well the trivia answer actually specified "Bob Simmons" because of his appearence in the gun barrel of Dr No.

However, I argued that Connery was seen as Bond in the TRAILERS to Dr No, and those were shown on the big screen before the movie was even released - and thus the Bob Simmons answer is not true.

Like everything else in Bond, the arguments can go in all sorts of directions.

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 09:05 PM

I have read stories that John Barry want to use the song "We have all the time in the World" as the open title song for OHMSS. But that Saltzman vetoed it. Saltzman musical taste were "unique" . since i have also read a quote from Barry that he (Saltzman) "hated" the lyrics to DAF.

#7 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:59 AM

I rather liked the music/tunes that were played during this movie.

#8 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 08:38 PM

John Barry's score ranges form the minimalist title track to the soaring heights of the "ski chase" . to the gently romantic "love theme "We Have All The Time In The World"

#9 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 12:02 AM

I thought the title track was great, I love it when Lazenby says "this never 'appened to the other fella'" and it kicks straight into the title instrumental.

The new OHMSS soundtrack is definatly getting bought by me :)

#10 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Daltonitus
I thought the title track was great, I love it when Lazenby says "this never 'appened to the other fella'" and it kicks straight into the title instrumental.

The new OHMSS soundtrack is definatly getting bought by me :)

Buy it now! The sound quality is fabulous!