31 replies to this topic

#1 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 12:27 AM

Does anyone know anything about when Benson will be releasing his next JB book? Doesn't he usually does one per year?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:09 AM

There's no book for 2003.

#3 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:13 AM

There isn't yet, or there isn't going to be?

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:17 AM

As far as I know, there isn't going to be one. Benson wrote the DAD novelization last year when he normally writes the new novel.

#5 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:31 AM

Ahh oh well, guess I'll have to wait another year.

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 08:28 AM

I want him to put his heart into this.

If he takes time to craft the book, and pays less attention showing off his "Bond-knowledge", which is a pretty sterile life-achievement, frankly, we will have a well-written book which may - may - appeal to a wider audience. Only by appealing to that wider audience will the literary Bond survive. It can't do that on the numbers being sold at the moment. Plots are fine, presently - writing's dire, however, and with time and care that will improve. So a year's break is a good thing. It also removes the temptation to fill the book full of fifty year anniversary tripe. What bets there was a "golden" theme in the offing?

#7 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:33 PM

I never thought I'd agree with Jim about Benson's work, but he's right. The years break could do the next book the world of good if it gives Benson a chance to give it that extra bit of effort. I was initially concerned about missing the 50th anniversary, but that doesn't really matter.

I enjoyed Benson's previous novels, but if this break works the next novel could be his masterpiece (even more so if the publishers put a bit more effort into promotion this time around).

#8 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 02:39 PM

The DAD novelization came out in November, didn't it? Usually, Benson's novels are released every May (around the same time when the novel from the previous year hits paperback). Maybe it's something that we'll have to look into. If I recall correctly, High Time to Kill came out in 1999 - the same year as TWINE. So the DAD novelization shouldn't have any effect on whether Benson has another one coming out this year or not.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:47 PM

Originally posted by philbowski
Ahh oh well, guess I'll have to wait another year.

Looks like 2003 is going to be a lean year for the Bond fan. No new book. No new movie. I doubt there will be any serious news about the new movie...

All we have are the Fleming reprints, the soundtrack remasters, and the Sideshow figures to look forward to this year.

Hey! That was my 3000th post! :)

#10 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 08:24 PM

The later books by Benson have been released late spring/early summer, haven't they?

Maybe becuase of the DAD novelization they're planing to release the new book at the end of 2003? That could be possible...

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:29 PM

What I really want Benson to do is update The James Bond Bedside Companion, far and away the best book I've ever read on the Bond phenomenon. Does anyone know what the chances of this happening are?

#12 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:56 PM

I still havent read "Never dream of Dying" or "The Man With The Red Tattoo" yet, as I ran out of funds to pay for them :) I tried to hold off Doubleshot as I knew it woul be the last Bond book I had to read, and after I finished it, i was so lonely! :)

Ah well, I'll have to wait until my Birthday in August :mad:

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
What I really want Benson to do is update The James Bond Bedside Companion, far and away the best book I've ever read on the Bond phenomenon. Does anyone know what the chances of this happening are?

Think it might be a little weird for Benson to review his own work. I don't think we'll see an update on Beside Companion for this reason. Too bad because it's a great book.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:10 PM

Originally posted by zencat

Think it might be a little weird for Benson to review his own work. I don't think we'll see an update on Beside Companion for this reason.

Obviously, Benson would have to cover his own Bond novels. Clearly, it would be unacceptable for him to write things like: "The Man With the Red Tattoo is a gripping, unputdownable page-turner that would do credit to Fleming".

However, I don't see why he couldn't review his own work in the same way as a director talks on a DVD commentary about what he was trying to achieve.

What would be wrong with his writing about the things that inspired him when he was working on each novel, the effects he was aiming for, and things he would change in retrospect?

If even this smacks too much of self-promotion, he could simply provide a plot synopsis for each book and leave it at that, with a note that it is not for him to comment on the quality of his own work. Alternatively, another writer could be brought in to provide independent coverage of the Benson oeuvre.

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:22 PM

Think it might be a little weird for Benson to review his own work.

Yes it would be. But I would really love to see the book updated. How to do it? Well if Benson doesn't want to update it at all, then someone should simply be nominated to do it. Share the writing credits and update, what is, a fantastic source of information.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:24 PM

I'd be up for that job. :)

Actually, I've been think of writing up an overview of Benson's work in the same way he wrote an overview of Gardner.

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:39 PM

I'm being serious, here, zencat: I don't think they could get anyone better than yourself to cover the Beson novels for an updated edition of the Bedside Companion.:)

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:40 PM

Thank you Loomis! :)

#19 colonel_13

colonel_13

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:23 PM

So is there any new news on the 2003 novel, I'd really like to read somethig besides garder, its getting boring.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:33 PM

No word, but it sure doesn't look like we're going to get a new book in 2003. Glidrose seems to think we're happy to re-read Fleming during this Anniversary year.

If you felt so moved, you can let Glidrose know your feelings (or you can ask them directly about a new book) at their website: http://www.ianflemingcentre.com/

#21 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 10:50 AM

Originally posted by zencat
As far as I know, there isn't going to be one. Benson wrote the DAD novelization last year when he normally writes the new novel.

I've been quite scathing about RB's writing elsewhere but I have to say he did a good job of minimalising the OTT elements of DAD.The book was better than the script it was based on.

#22 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 11:04 AM

Check Benson's website for any updates: www.raymondbenson.com

#23 Scorpius

Scorpius

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 01:56 AM

Benson could update his Bedside Companion by having a "guest reviewer" reviewing the Benson books.

And couldn't we have a collection of Benson's short stories published in a novelette form, like FYEO and Octopussy were for Fleming?

#24 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 02:29 AM

Yeah that's a good idea Scorpius- They should release Bensons short stories like Flemings short stories.

#25 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 04:05 AM

i would love to have an updated bedside companion, wonder if it will ever happen?

#26 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 07:31 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
i would love to have an updated bedside companion, wonder if it will ever happen?

I would think there is more hope of it now that he is no longer penning Bond novels. I would love to see Companion brought to the present. Would love to see his well written opinions on all that has happened since the 80s and see if his authorship of the novels brings a new respect to Gardner's works.

#27 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 08:19 PM

There won't be a new James Bond book in 2003, by Raymond Benson or by anyone else.
Raymond Benson is working on other projects and he has just send his new nonBond book to his agent.
Ian Fleming Publications is occupied this year by the re-publications of Fleming books and focus on it.

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 10:02 PM

Didn't Benson already announce that he was done writing Bond books???

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 10:08 PM

Yes. This is an old thread.

#30 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 02:59 AM

what a sad state of affairs, we have no one to write the bond books, there must be some hope of someone out there, does anyone know of someone to write bond? give us some hope