Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 10:33 AM

I put this question to you.

Should General Pushkin (John Rhys Davis) in TLD, have returned in
Goldeneye in place of Defence Minister Mishkin?

I think yes, and having him killed by Ourumov would have made a greater impact on fans.

#2 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 10:51 AM

I like the actor, he's been in Indiana Jones films, Lord of Rings, orginally the producers wanted it to be General Gogo instead of pushkin, but that actor was too old, so you see him at the end.

I don't know about killing the character off, he sort of got his pretend death scene, I think he should of comeback, but Goldeneye would of been a small role, I liked Pushkin and Bond at Whitiker's house at the end, good pairing, I like it when Bond has a older father type help on his side, it gives his character a chance to talk about normal things, life sort of things, like the old guy in FRWL, even Roul in DAD, these type of older good actors working and talking to Bond, it brings good moments.

#3 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 02:02 PM

I would like to have seen more of Pushkin - he was a fair character, and would seem most suitable as a recurring character who is not an enemy of MI6 (in light of the end of the cold war)

#4 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 07:33 PM

I liked Pushkin, and Rhys-Davies is a brilliant actor, so I would have liked him to reurn, and I would love to see him back in a future film if possible. However, I think that it is unlikely, unfortunatly. If he had reurned in GE, it wouldn't have been as successful as we would have liked. There was a 8 year gap between TLD and GE, and Pushkin didn't appear in LTK, so having a character truen after so long would have confused audiences, even it he was the same actor. I think we should have had him instead of Mishkin, although I didn't mind Mishkin, we would have warmed to him more. But having him return would be confusing for first timers, if Bond was to interact with him like an old friend, some people may be confused. And with the Cole War over, didn't the KGB cease to exist?:) I'm stuck on that, but still, after the Cold War, I doubt we would have seen KGB agents and chiefs hanging around:(.

#5 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 08:51 PM

It's kinda sad, we didn't more cold war stuff before the cold war ended, 1990-1994, because it's the core of where Bond did most of his spying, Bond will continue, but cold war shadow looming still.

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 09:44 PM

They could still bring Pushkin back, the actor is still hard at work.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 09:53 PM

Well the original script called for his return. And I'd personally like to see him return.

I guess with it being in the script, the concept isn't beyond the producers and it is something they wouldn't mind. However, he was only a replacement character and for that reason, they might not weight his importance in the Bond cannon.