20 replies to this topic

#1 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:30 PM

I was watching OHMSS last night (part of the recently released monster James Bond collection. I think that some scenes have been cut. I am sure some of the ski scene escape from Piz Gloria is missing but not sure what else. The film was about fifteen minutes short of what I believed it was supposed to be (2.5 hours). Can anyone help by shedding any light on this?

#2 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:53 PM

There is an article about this on Blofeld's cat site:

http://www.blofeldsc...ss/dvdohmss.htm

The DVD file article is interesting.

The later complaining about what wasn't on the DVD is not accurate in a few places (I worked on the OHMSS DVD and provided the "Above it All" featurette for transfer).

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:33 PM

There are also other elements missing from the DVD that have appeared in past VHS releases. Including a monologue by Blofeld.

#4 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:38 PM

What brought my attention to it was looking for the scene at the end of the ski chase where Bond does a jump in front of a train (I think) and a henchman/guard follows him only to get hit by the train....unless I dreamt that scene?

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:55 PM

Don't you mean the "he had a lot of guts" scene?

#6 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 12:48 AM

well i guess its better that i have the vhs format for that movie and not the dvd cause i dont want anything cut from my movie that would be such a bummer. i had thought about getting the dvd in case something happens to my tape, but i am just as glad i did not now.

#7 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 12:48 AM

No it was before that. In the chase from Piz Gloria obd despatches a couple of guards over a high cliff, steals one of their sets of skis (after losing one of his earlier) and then proceeds down the rest of the mountain. This then cust over to Irma Bunt down at the bottomo of the mountain whereas I thought the ski chase continued a bit longer and included another of the chasing guards being hit by a train...ring any bells?

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 01:17 AM

Not for me, but I've never seen the full version released in the 90's.

#9 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 01:44 AM

Interesting...I am sure I saw it on TV over here a couple of times last year (they had a couple of Bond weekends on TV to mark the 40th anniversary). Heck, now I am not so sure.

#10 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 06:25 PM

The so-called European full theatrcial version is 142 minutes long. My special edition DVD version is 140 minutes long.

The wide release theatrical US version is 140 minutes and the TV versions are 140 minutes, but the UK theatrical version is 142 minutes.

I guess there was 2 minutes of film that needed to be cut for ratings or something.

Seems odd but somehow 2 minutes is cut from the DVD and US versions. And I have the US DVD, since my DVD plyers are sll US.

There is supposedly a scene where Lazenby is followed after he leaves Hillary Bray's office. He then waits for the agent and kills him behind a train.

Perhaps this is the missing 2 minutes?

I also think that Blofeld has a line cut from the DVD that appears on the Tv version.

Anyway who knows maybe it was just cheaper to have 140 minutes versus 142? One DVD instead of 2 perhaps?

#11 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 09:24 PM

I have the original Fox VHS tape and it was the complete USA version or so i thought . I know that the movie was 140 minutes long so i believe that the VHS tape was the same length . I never brought the MGM versions of the Bond since except for Thunderball. Those are the one which were re-mastered(??) , from original sources .They also had the Pink Panther cartoons added to them. They were marketed as "The Connery Years" etc. I first saw OHMSS on TV in 1976 in America. It was the famous 2 part version the roof top chase , never saw only photos. The Irma Bunt scene of Bond buying the wedding rings was added . Alway wondered why it was not part of the VHS tapes. ! question which i guess will be come a new thread . after 32 years why is this film still treated like chap. Since every thing after it is of questionible quaility. Can the loyal fan be wrong . I would pay double the price for the Peter Hunt cut that he turn in to the Producers. It was over 3 hours longs . Than see a hybrid of GE , TND ,TWINE ,DAD . Why do the Eon people treat this historic Bond film like this. I my start a post on this question.:)

#12 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:26 PM

Well, this all sucks. I just sold my VHS collection, anticipating the DVD releases, now I wish I hadn't, if things were cut from OHMSS. Also, I can't watch the end of "Golden Gun" on my DVD player, it freezes up at around 1:20. Am I the only one?

#13 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:29 PM

P.S. I hope that when DAF is re-released that Connery's not fat in it. (Sorry.)

#14 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 03:40 AM

Originally posted by Jriv71
Well, this all sucks.  I just sold my VHS collection, anticipating the DVD releases, now I wish I hadn't, if things were cut from OHMSS.  Also, I can't watch the end of "Golden Gun" on my DVD player, it freezes up at aroung 1:20.  Am I the only one?

well my freezes up right at the point that bond goes in the car dealership and gets in the car with jw pepper

#15 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 06:50 AM

I don't know for sure, but I believe there is a known error in TMWTGG DVDs. One must write to Fox/MGM/someone else and get another copy.

Or maybe this is for another DVD.

But back to OHMSS: The rooftop chase was never filmed, and only photos ('test' photos?) were taken on Lazenby on a roof.

And there is some other stuff on some Video, but not on DVD. And not the newest videos either. It's all on 'Blofeld's Cat''s website as mentioned above.

#16 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 04:48 PM

I heard that the chase scene at the College of Arms was filmed, but cut before the final release. Similar to Bond and the cab driver had a fight in LALD. In both cases, a minor chase was cut to create a better tempo for the film.

#17 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 06:06 PM

The only bits missing from the DVD version of OHMSS are those listed on the Blofeld's Cat website. They are minor dialogue trims - there are no other missing major scenes, nor rooftop chases existant in any versions of the film. The UK VHS version of the film is the longest known print which includes all of these missing trims of dialogue. Whilst I am totally against watching cut versions of any film - these are very minor deletions. Like the missing subtitles on some of the DVD's I can live without them. They add nothing to the film and are just technical **** up's on the part of MGM. I would like to see a FULL version of OHMSS but full only means a few more bits of dialogue. I've seen all kinds of versions of the Bond films over the past 25 years and unless you have the long VHS version this is as good as it gets. Wait till you've seen the version of YOLT that starts with the main titles first then adds in bits of the Pre-Credit sequence later! I've also seen a version of FRWL with added bits of dialogue. These versions are probably lost now and I believe only ever existed in 16mm format and were available for rent in the 70's. I've seen versions of GF and TB with the original end credit sequence which announce a different film. Sadly we don't live in a perfect world and unless MGM remaster the films yet again I doubt it is worthwhile doing them. I've also heard that the original soundtrack recordings are still in existance so some day I imagine the older films will be remixed in 5.1 and we'll have to buy them all again...(for the umpteenth time).

#18 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 06:12 PM

The only bits missing from the DVD version of OHMSS are those listed on the Blofeld's Cat website. They are minor dialogue trims - there are no other missing major scenes, nor rooftop chases existant in any versions of the film. The UK VHS version of the film is the longest known print which includes all of these missing trims of dialogue. Whilst I am totally against watching cut versions of any film - these are very minor deletions. Like the missing subtitles on some of the DVD's I can live without them. They add nothing to the film and are just technical **** up's on the part of MGM. I would like to see a FULL version of OHMSS but full only means a few more bits of dialogue. I've seen all kinds of versions of the Bond films over the past 25 years and unless you have the long VHS version this is as good as it gets. Wait till you've seen the version of YOLT that starts with the main titles first then adds in bits of the Pre-Credit sequence later! I've also seen a version of FRWL with added bits of dialogue. These versions are probably lost now and I believe only ever existed in 16mm versions that were available for rent in the 70's. I've seen versions of GF and TB with the original end credit sequence which announced a different film. Sadly we don't live in a perfect world and unless MGM remaster the films yet again I doubt it is worthwhile doing them. I've also heard that the original soundtrack recordings are still in existance so some day I imagine the older films will be remixed in 5.1 and we'll have to buy them all again...(for the umpteenth time).

#19 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Spectre001
No it was before that. In the chase from Piz Gloria obd despatches a couple of guards over a high cliff, steals one of their sets of skis (after losing one of his earlier) and then proceeds down the rest of the mountain. This then cust over to Irma Bunt down at the bottomo of the mountain whereas I thought the ski chase continued a bit longer and included another of the chasing guards being hit by a train...ring any bells?

Yep! now you mention it it does. I remember seeing this but as far as I can remember its defiantly NOT on the VHS with the same cover as the DVDs. I think it must have been the early one with the white background out in the early 90s?

#20 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Spectre001
What brought my attention to it was looking for the scene at the end of the ski chase where Bond does a jump in front of a train (I think) and a henchman/guard follows him only to get hit by the train....unless I dreamt that scene?

In the book certainly, but I'm sure it's not in any print of the film I've seen (not that that necessarily means it doesn't exist, but I think I've seen all possible mutations)

#21 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 01:39 PM

I remember taping a really irritating version of OHMSS a few years ago, from TV. It must only have been 125-130 minutes. I can't remember much of what was cut, but there was no visit to that second bedroom on Piz Gloria. (Not the first woman, the second and infinitely more attractive one)

I forget what that first woman's name is now, but in the script she says she's from Morecambe bay in Lancashire. My Bond claim to fame is that I lived in Morecambe for over six years. Pretty sad huh?