This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

When Timothy saw the Goldeneye billboard image, he was set free.

10 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 02:14 AM

http://www.klast.net...news.html#image

Dalton, 52, began his career doing British historical epics The Lion in Winter and Mary, Queen of Scots. After Sean Connery, George Lazenby and Roger Moore had their turns with the suave Secret Agent 007 bit, Dalton, in 1987, starred in The Living Daylights and then, in '89, Licence to Kill.

And that was enough.

"Having decided not to carry on [with Bond] was the clearest and most sensible intellectual decision to take," Dalton says. "It was right for my soul, really, although some people would have said it's a riskier alternative to having a lifetime annuity into your 60s...But that's not my nature."

Dalton does admit, however, that when word of Pierce Brosnan's GoldenEye came along, he worried that "I would feel possessive or territorial or even, maybe, regret that decision when the truth of another Bond movie materialized."

But then Dalton was driving down a Hollywood street one day, and found himself staring up at a giant billboard for GoldenEye. "I looked at it and I thought, I'm glad it's not me. I felt free, absolutely liberated. I felt more myself than I'd felt in 10 years."

He made his peace with it a long time ago, it's amazing decision to have though hey, should I be James Bond or not again, is it right for me, as a I fan, you hope your favorite actor makes more, unlucky not to do a third before 95, but 2 was enough for him, and it has to be for fans now as well, TLD and LTK are still going strong in building blocks for the series as he said at the bafta awards. And as he said in bafta awards, he'll always be Bond, its good to hear stuff like that from the heart, its a nice change from the connery closure on the role, Bond sort of effected him for a long time, not so for Dalton, in that he was right-good for the soul, he's popular yet not fan crazy connery fans, so in a way, he's got it good, a fan of the series, played Bond twice, popular, but more able to go where he wants, as fame for guys like Connery, and big mega stars has its drawbacks, but I think Tim is smart and his own man for making those decisions, understand the person a bit I say, and enjoy his Bond more.:cool:

#2 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 03:11 AM

I read a article a few years back on Dalton where he states he had no regrets about leaving the Bond franchise & how he had moved on w/his career and his personal life.

I kinda wished he'd have better film roles. The last thing he did that was exceptional was this film called "Framed" where he played a British criminal who sucks in the cop who arrested him.

I heard he may be cast in the next "Highlander" film- yikes!

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 03:19 AM

Hey Robinson:

Don't know the Highlander films...they are actually quite good...and TD would be a wonderful tradition to the franchise.

I just wonder what role he will play? Perhaps they will recast Connor McCloud and give it to Timothy Dalton.

-- Xenobia

#4 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:26 AM

Although Tim made his peace with it, i will always feel the pain of not seeing him in a third film.

For me, three films is the magic number. Two films are not enough as we did not get a chance to see Tim delve and develop the character even further. All we have is less than five hours of him in the Bond role. He deserved much more.

Actually they should have made TLD, then another TLD type spy adventure and finally LTK as a fitting finale to his reign.

A third film would have broadened his appeal even more. Instead i now read comments like "Dalton was just a blip in the James Bond series".

And we will never see another actor with a Dalton like interpretation of Bond.

Thats why i hope they can the series. It will only go downhill.

#5 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Byron
Although Tim made his peace with it, i will always feel the pain of not  seeing him in a third film.  

For me, three films is the magic number. Two films are not enough as we did not get a chance to see Tim delve and develop the character even further. All we have is less than five hours of him in the Bond role. He deserved much more.

Actually they should have made TLD, then another TLD type spy adventure and finally LTK as a fitting finale to his reign.

A third film would have broadened his appeal even more. Instead i now read comments like "Dalton was just a blip in the James Bond series".

And we will never see another actor with a Dalton like interpretation of Bond.    

Thats why i hope they can the series. It will only go downhill.

I won't lie, there is pain of wondering about a third film, I think it got increased after Die Another Day, I enjoyed the film, but also it's been like 13 years since LTK, a long time, and we've seen more Bond films, so thats life for you, it continues.

I'm more upbeat about it, I mean yeah I know Tim could of done different Bond films, then do LTK, but how was he going to avoid the mgm legal battle after LTK and GE, those 6 years was too long, and just badluck for his third film, I think LTK was gutsy as your 2nd Bond film, but looking at it now, I'm glad LTK took all the risks it did for being what it was, because if they left it later, it wouldn't of been filmed, the mgm legal rights battle for Bond was the culprit, it easy to look back now and say this and that. Timothy's era was unigue, the Bond series is unpredictable, between LTK and GE, I thought LTK was the last Bond film ever, I never knew anything about the legal battles, and was prevening a 3rd film back then, but LTK seemed to end a era, I think the Bond series has alot of potential to continue, looking at some Benson and Gardener novels, the future is uncertain, Dalton caught me by surprise in 87, I wouldn't rule out other actors, in any event I'm a big Dalton fan, and I remember after LTK and before GE, I felt the series was finished, and Dalton's 2 films felt enough, I mean its quality not quantity, I'd rather have it that way, yet you look at Pierce, and as popular he as Bond, what films do you think he's proud of, GE is one, he didn't like TND-not enough story, TWINE-he never talkes about director Apted, so it seems he's got 2 main Bond films like Tim at the moment, yet still Timothy explores Bond more in his 2 films, so there's alot to be proud about in a way.

As for Highlander rumours, its only a rumour, I've heard a storyline, but it features new immortals, Conner died in Highlander End Game, as much as I like Highlander, they've been less storywise in the last 3 films, and Dalton was a rumour, not heard anything about casting since.

Timothy though is teaming up with Bugs Bunny, in a large looney toons feature, that should be amusing.

I enjoyed Timothy's performance in Possession-Exocist type film.

And someone menstioned Framed, yes I liked that alot, Eddie Myers, great role. Timothy's not a person bothered too much about how famous or how much money a film has or does, he relishes personal type challenges, the joy of acting etc, but I know fans want to see him in bigger roles, maybe he will be, good actors get great opportunities out of the blue sometimes, christopher lee in lord of the rings etc, great actor from the past, coming in to do a epic trilogy.

#6 Raya

Raya

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 01:41 PM

One just cannot help wondering HOW Timothy would have made The Golden Eye, or Tomorrow Never Dies, or DAD...but You know...we are not getting any younger, none of us...but still...Tim is a great actor and let us be grateful for him that he DID The Living Daylights and The Licence to Kill...

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 08:39 PM

I also read that he was canned by the producers....So now he puts his own spin on his departure from the series.

#8 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 03:07 AM

Originally posted by SeanValen00V

As for Highlander rumours, its only a rumour, I've heard a storyline, but it features new immortals, Conner died in Highlander End Game, as much as I like Highlander, they've been less storywise in the last 3 films, and Dalton was a rumour, not heard anything about casting since.

I got that rumour off of Dark Horizons. I think he was up for the role of the main villain.

I'm sorry, but that series has been scraping the bottom of the barrel- especially after Highlander 2. I'm sure Dalton could do his thing in the flick, though it has been over 20 years since he really swung a sword(Flash Gordon).

I wonder, like many of us "what might've been" had Dalton stayed on for what was to be GE. I think the film would've worked since there was a new director & new writing team. However, I'm satisfied with Pierce performance and the film as a whole.

I just wonder if there's any "tension" whenever Dalton and Brosnan are @ EON functions?

#9 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 11:25 AM

I wish Tim got better roles, he is a great actor...

#10 Raya

Raya

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 11:31 AM

Originally posted by rafterman
I wish Tim got better roles, he is a great actor...

I could not agree more....

#11 B5Erik2

B5Erik2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 06:46 AM

Dalton wansn't "canned" by EON. Hell, if they were going to fire him they wouldn't have waited five years to do it. They were beginning pre-production (or pre-pre-production, script development) with Dalton in mind. After five years off from the role he didn't feel like going back. It may seem crazy to some of us, but Dalton is an ac-tor, and those kind of actors tend not to enjoy being trapped in the same role.

If GE would have been made in 1992 or 1993 he might have done it, but not by 1994. Too much time away, too much water under the bridge.

It all worked out for the best anyway, except for us Dalton fans. Bond came back strong, Brosnan became a fan favorite, and Dalton got to do different kinds of roles.

The funny thing is, when I think of Bond, the first actor I think of is still Timothy Dalton.