This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What exactly speaks against Robbie Williams?

51 replies to this topic

#1 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 04:21 AM

He

#2 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 06:39 AM

Although I like Robbie Williams, he does look as if he's a drunk sailor who just found his way out of a gutter.

#3 taxman2001

taxman2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 12:15 PM

The problem, as far as I can see, is that if you watch the majority of pop videos with the sound down then it seems the artistes can all act.

But put them into a major motion picture and they find themselves in a different kettle of fish. Acting in a 3 minute pop video and in a 120 minute film are two totally different things.

Do I need to mention the awfulness of Britney Spears in Crossroads (alas not a big screen version of a cult British soap opera) or Mariah Carey in Glitter?

And Jennifer Lopez just cannot sing or act in anything she does.

Now I know someone's going to post "ooohhhh, what about Eminem in 8 Mile?" and I would have to say that he's the exception to the rule.

Robbie Williams loves publicity. He needs to be in the public eye. Though his songs are memorable it may be that they won't be for much longer with the departure of Guy Chambers (his song writing partner), who is now writing for Pop Idol winner Will Young.

Williams always comes across as arrogant and self-rightous and it makes me wonder how much of this any film producer could take.

I remember seeing an episode of Parkinson (the chat show for you not in the UK) where the first guest was Ewan MacGregor. After this Williams came on. Within 30 seconds he had already turned round to Ewan and told him that he was offered the role of Renton in Trainspotting before MacGregor.

I asked myself: what was the point of this? At that time Ewan was director Danny Boyle's best mate after the success they had with Shallow Grave. There is no way he would have sold Ewan out for the likes of Williams. Especially since Williams wasn't yet the household name he thinks he is. All I can think is that Williams was trying to put Ewan down and make himself out to be more important. Shame he failed then ...

I also think that Williams is under the impression that he has single handedly revived the popularity of classic 1950's songs with his album Swing When You're Winning. It may of escaped his attention but these songs were classics even before he got his foul mouthed gob around them.

All in all he's a loud mouth, self-opionated, publicity hungry, karaoke singer (and not even a good one at that) who could not hold a Bond film together for 120 seconds let alone 120 minutes.

Rant, over.

#4 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 01:05 PM

Originally posted by taxman2001
Williams always comes across as arrogant and self-rightous and it makes me wonder how much of this any film producer could take.

I remember seeing an episode of Parkinson (the chat show for you not in the UK) where the first guest was Ewan MacGregor.  After this Williams came on.  Within 30 seconds he had already turned round to Ewan and told him that he was offered the role of Renton in Trainspotting before MacGregor.

I asked myself: what was the point of this?  At that time Ewan was director Danny Boyle's best mate after the success they had with Shallow Grave.  There is no way he would have sold Ewan out for the likes of Williams.  Especially since Williams wasn't yet the household name he thinks he is.  All I can think is that Williams was trying to put Ewan down and make himself out to be more important.  Shame he failed then ...

I also think that Williams is under the impression that he has single handedly revived the popularity of classic 1950's songs with his album Swing When You're Winning.  It may of escaped his attention but these songs were classics even before he got his foul mouthed gob around them.

All in all he's a loud mouth, self-opionated, publicity hungry, karaoke singer (and not even a good one at that) who could not hold a Bond film together for 120 seconds let alone 120 minutes.
Rant, over.

Obviously you are one of the people who is not yet accustomed to Robbie's sense of humour, Robbie simply takes the piss out of everything he is involved in. He takes this piss out of the music industry yet they can't see as the money keeps rolling in anyway. IMO Robbie Williams is a very clever guy. Still he'll never play Bond and I don't want him too either.

#5 taxman2001

taxman2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 01:19 PM

Originally posted by mrmoon

Obviously you are one of the people who is not yet accustomed to Robbie's sense of humour, Robbie simply takes the piss out of everything he is involved in. He takes this piss out of the music industry yet they can't see as the money keeps rolling in anyway. IMO Robbie Williams is a very clever guy. Still he'll never play Bond and I don't want him too either.

Unfortunately, his sense of humour has not changed since the days of Take That.

The more he takes the piss out of everything he does then the more people will tire of him. Even my girlfriend who used to think he was the bees-knees has grown tired of his immature "look-at-me" attitude.

He may be clever (I think lucky would be more accurate) but his popularity, me thinks, is on the wane ...

#6 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 11:42 PM

I don't think Robbie williams will ever play James Bond but I do think he will probably make it in movies. I think it is a bit harsh to call him a karaoke singer when he sings his own songs and writes his own lyrics unlike **** off pop idol like Will Young and Gareth Gates who do just sing other peoples songs and do **** versions for example Gareth Gates copy of 'suspicious minds' and Will Youngs 'Light my Fire'.

#7 taxman2001

taxman2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:14 PM

Ummmm his entire album Swing When You're Winning was full of cover versions.

Millennium was a complete lift of John Barry's theme to You Only Love Twice albeit with different words.

Hence he is a karaoke singer ...

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:05 AM

Wow. Robbie Williams is a karaoke singer. I'd hate to think what 99% of other recording artists are then.

#9 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:20 AM

If they would give him a chance, I bet, most would love him. But I

#10 taxman2001

taxman2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 05:29 PM

Let me clarify what I mean by "karaoke" singer.

I mean that his voice is nothing special.

If you look at other well loved and respected singers of our time they all have distinctive voices.

Mr Williams does not. His songs are liked because anyone could (and frequently does) sing them - usually in a drunken state at a pub - and requires no special talent to sing them.

My girlfriend who likes his songs admits that his voice is nothing special.

That's what I mena by karaoke singer.

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 08:47 PM

Okay, being that I live in the U.S. I've only seen Robbie about twice but--

Isn't he like 5 foot 2?

#12 taxman2001

taxman2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 09:30 PM

I believe he was considered as Frodo in Lord Of The Rings ... LOL.

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 09:40 PM

You're almost funny.

Mr Williams does not. His songs are liked because anyone could (and frequently does) sing them - usually in a drunken state at a pub - and requires no special talent to sing them.

I'd really like to hear someone in a drunken stupor sing Better Man, and I'd like you to be there. Just so you can see how wrong you are.

Unless of course you're tone deaf? Because one could simply not sing Better Man when drunk and does require talent to even reach the key of the song.

#14 taxman2001

taxman2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 10:04 PM

And Blue Eyes you almost make a good point.

BUT Williams is not - in my book - a good singer, thou in your's he is and I respect that.

After all you may hate David Bowie (God help you if you do ... LOL).

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 10:15 PM

I know you don't rate him, and that's fine. But I do think you're going a bit to far saying a drunk could do some of his songs better.

#16 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 10:47 PM

But Williams IS a drunk. Allegedly.

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 10:53 PM

By his own admissing he's gone through re-hab, so that would make him a post-drunk :)

#18 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 19 January 2003 - 11:50 PM

I'm lead to understand that "once a drunk, always a drunk." It's a case of whether one can stay on the wagon or not.

I have no interest in RW becoming Bond, he just doesn't look the part, but I'm starting to come around to the possibility of him singing a Bond song in the furure. I'm starting to like the songs he's churning out at the moment.

However, I'll wait for a "best of..." CD before I actually buy any of his music.

#19 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 12:02 AM

For the record, I wouldn't want to see William's play Bond. But I'm all for the idea of him doing a title track.

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 January 2003 - 12:36 AM

Has RW actually acted in anything other than his music viseos?

I'm perplexed about the push by many to present him as a possible Bond. It's maybe based on the Millenium video alone, but to me he wasn't a good Bondalike in that either. He tried too hard to look like Sean Connery and ended up looking like Robbie Williams trying to look like Connery.

#21 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 12:41 AM

Originally posted by mccartney007
Although I like Robbie Williams, he does look as if he's a drunk sailor who just found his way out of a gutter.

I find that offensive! (Well, not the last part, but the first two are me.)

#22 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 02:04 AM

Originally posted by mccartney007

You mean like this, Jordan? :)

#23 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 03:24 PM

I don't think being drunk means that person cannot sing. I used to roadie for a semi-successful rock band and recall the lead singer once telling me, 'I need to go throw up then I'll be ready for the next set.' After returning, he gave one of the most incredible preformances that I'd ever seen him give. And one of the band's albums (one recorded before my time) the singer's most amazing vocal performance was recorded while being held up to the microphone.

#24 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 02:46 AM

Robbie Williams can never play Bond I just could not except that but he would do a great soundtrack. Is popular as ever and that was proved by is album Escapology which I didn't was as good as is others but was still one of the biggest if not the biggest selling records of the year and the swing when you are winning may of been all covers but that was a tribute album.

Strong
No Regrets
Karma Killer
Angels
Let me Entertain you
Rock DJ
Supreme
Better man
let love be your energy
Old before I die
Feel

All great songs which were not covers and he writes most of the lyrics himself which most other pop stars don't.

#25 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 04:16 AM

You know I've started to like his music, but I say no to his playing Bond, he just doesn't fit the part and if interest in playing the role was all that mattered then I'm sure we'd all be up for the role...

#26 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 02:37 PM

I think almost everybody agrees thar Robbie shouldn't play Bond but if they go with a male singer for Bond 21 I would like him to do it although I wouldn't be that disapointed if he didn't.

#27 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 11:49 PM

I guess it makes not really sense to start a PRO Williams-as-Bond Club...

#28 Imperator

Imperator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:05 AM

I want Robbie as a Bond theme singer. And he's in my top 5 for Bond actors, but: he has to star a few films before Bond, he must do something about his tatoos, and change a little bit. Still, he does look good in a tuxedo, and he is physically good for the character.

#29 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:19 AM

Robbie Williams as Bond no.
I think he can do the title song for Bond 23.
My vote for Bond 21 is Elton John.
For Bond 22 i wil only Heard Lyrics like FRWL or OHMSS.

#30 taxman2001

taxman2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 07:37 PM

Dear God.

NO!

He's not an actor.

His "singing talent" is questionable.

If this is the way it's going why not have Jimmy Sommerville? Or Maurice Gibb? Or a cartoon dog ....?