This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Things for a Bond fan to do in London...?

3 replies to this topic

#1 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 11:40 PM

I'm off to London from Sydney for a week and was hoping you guys could recommend some places for a Bond fan to visit. My number one photo op is the gate to the abandoned station for abandoned agents, assuming its real.

Any cool shops or locations worth seeing?

#2 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 03:20 AM

Dude...if you can...get your hands on "James Bond's London." You can find it at amazon.com and amazon.co.uk. It tells you about lots of cool places to go related to Bond.

I would certainly go to 30 Markham Place...Bond's home. It's in Chelsea, just off of King's Road.

And I would also check out the MI6 HQ. You can't get in, but it is an awesome building to see.

-- Xenobia

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 02:54 PM

Who actually lives there Xenobia?

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 04:47 PM

Originally posted by mattbowyer
My number one photo op is the gate to the abandoned station for abandoned agents, assuming its real.

I read in yesterday's Daily Mail that the door has become a magnet for fans following the release of DIE ANOTHER DAY. The real life door is very different, and according to the article the security staff who use the little cubby hole inside (presumably they work for nearby attractions like the London Eye and the London Aquarium) now have to put up with tourists constantly knocking at the door and posing for photos.

Here's one way of getting there: cross Westminster Bridge walking on the left, away from the Houses of Parliament and Westminster tube station, and towards the London Eye, St. Thomas' Hospital, etc. on the other side of the Thames. Take the flight of steps at the end of the bridge (there's only one, so you can't miss it - and it's almost directly opposite the hospital) and turn right at the bottom.

Not really worth a special trip, as it's very underwhelming in real life, but, hey, it's a bona fide DAD location.