22 replies to this topic

#1 AgentM

AgentM

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:29 PM

I was really looking forward to reading this cript by, Carver, I think it was. Didn't he say it was supposed to be out around Christmas?

Is it still going to be released?

#2 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 10:15 PM

I believe it was being re-written as parts of it resembled DAD?

The author could give you a better answer, of course. I'm looking forward to reading it too!

#3 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 10:03 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. I can't wait to read it.

#4 Arrant

Arrant

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 01:31 AM

I was privy to an early plot outline of "Twilight of Danger" as I assisted the author with a couple of "Teaser " posters.
There were similarities with the relationships between the villians in "DAD" and the villians in "TOD" which I think was coincidence, but no one want,s to be accused of plaigerism.
This was one of the reasons it had gone back to the drawing board.
The other main stumbling block, when I last spoke to him was the fact that a great deal of background information had to be included in the story to explain the villians plot.
This is a big problem that a lot of narratives face,and is difficult to get around without a lot of boring "talking heads" scenes.
Such scenes read O.K. in novels as the information can be presented as an informative lecture.(Think of all the "M",Bond and invited expert scenes,in the novels)
But, in a movie such scenes are so visually boring that you beging to think that you have wandered into a big screen version of Eastenders.
There are visual ways round it such as the Hologram lecture in TWINE, which keeps you visually interested in an otherwise dull scene.
But there are also script ways round it such as the fact that in the same movie the lecture was delivered by a very attractive young woman whom we had previously seen Bond seduce (and who the Male members of the audience now knew,wore sexy black underwear,under the starched white lab coat.)
Anyway,It was a desire to include such proffessional script dynamics that pass unoticed by most viewers, but leave us saying "that was good" that he said had, sent him back to review the script.
I have not heard from him since then but I hope he is still working on his idea as the overall story had the makings of one of the best Bond film never made.

#5 HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 05:34 AM

I'm also really looking forward to TOD. I loved the music that Rich made for the book and I can't wait to read and listen both at the same time. :)

#6 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 12:05 AM

Twilight of Danger is, and always has been, my baby. For various reasons, it's been sent back to be heavily revised. The summary I had (an improved version of the one you read, Arrant) right before DAD was almost ready for more pre-release material, but when I saw DAD my heart sank. Too many similarities. The villains were almost identical in manner (regardless of the fact that my villain was much older) and the girls were pretty close to the same, too. Instead of the original Christmas release, it's back in development.

But it'll eventually be done to some point. I'm just tossing around some new ideas at this stage. DAD is a hard act to follow as far as spectacle goes. So maybe you'll see a Twilight of Danger screenplay in the summer? Only time can tell!

~Harmsway

P.S.
Arrant - Are you still willing to do the posters?

#7 urhash

urhash

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 12:10 AM

Anyone willing to hook me up with the music Rich had made for the project?

[email protected]

Dan

#8 Arrant

Arrant

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 01:42 AM

Harmsway,
The early mock -up posters you did yourself were pretty damn good, but if you still want me to assist,then yes, just give me an E-Mail.
I,m assuming you still have mine, but I,m afraid I,ve lost yours when I upgraded just before Christmas to a new machine.
Thats why I,m having to reply via the Forum.

#9 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 03:06 AM

Where can I find the music for the book?

#10 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 06:32 PM

The soundtrack was pulled because of MGM, apparently. God forbid anyone might use the James Bond theme!

#11 AgentM

AgentM

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 01:33 AM

Sorry I mistook you for someone else, Harmsway.

Good luck. I just finished my own, and I know how frustrating revisions can be.

A long time back I tried to write an X-files story, and when the movie came out I audibly cursed in the movie theatre. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the movie. It's just that certain things happened and certain people were killed off so that my story was impossible.

#12 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:33 PM

Any new news to report regarding Twilight of Danger? Since it's summer now, I thought I would ask Harmsway.

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 08:30 PM

Well, glad to hear someone ask. Yes, it's coming along nicely. It's been redone and redone again but I think there's something good here. At this point, I'm looking at Christmas to have it finally done.

The plot takes place mostly in Australia and Malaysia and revolves around technology. Silas Thorn, one of the worlds richest men and the single most prominent developer of technology, is in the role of the villain. The Bond girl (who has gone through multiple name changes and is currently unnamed) is an assassin-like figure who turns good after encountering the ever irresistable 007.

That's about all I'm going to share right now, but there are some very, very good moments thrown in. So for now, Christmas 2003. Expect some individual scenes to surface before then, though.

#14 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:15 AM

Can't wait to read some of it Harmsway.

#15 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 11:33 PM

Darn it, I wasn't fast enough with my fan fiction. I have been doing research for a fan fiction story that is set in Australia, Malyasia, particularly Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore.

I was considering bringing back General Koh and Colonel Wai Lin of the People's External Security Service, however this time Bond and Wai Lin would not be allies, but working on opposite sides.

Time for fan fiction plan B. :)

#16 AgentM

AgentM

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:51 AM

Looking forward to it, Harmsway!

It's about time we had a villain named Thorn. So it revolves around technology, eh? As long as this technology is grounded instead of in ORBIT, it should be great!

#17 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 03:41 AM

NOOOOOO! Not Thorn! Does the villain have the mark of the beast under his hairline? Sorry, but I associate The Omen trilogy with that family name and hear Jerry Goldsmith score for "Ave Satani." Harmsway can you think of another last name for your villain? :)

Personally, I don't know what is wrong with more space technology in a James Bond plot AgentM. There are so many films that involve some sort of space technology:

Dr. No
You Only Live Twice
Diamonds Are Forever
Moonraker
Goldeneye
Tomorrow Never Dies
Die Another Day

#18 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 01:43 PM

I'm not changing the last name. Sorry. Like it too much. There's been countless people named Thorn before in all sorts of series - Rupert Thorne from the Batman comics for one. I'm not changing the name just because its been used before.

The reason for no space technology is that its been used in GE, TND, and DAD pretty strongly, so maybe we should back off that front and rely on something else for a plot device - which is what I'm trying to do.

#19 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 12:06 AM

I wrote the post principally to remind you Harmsway that the last name was used in The Omen trilogy so that you could eliminate possible comparisons with those films and your screenplay. Like not referring to the company as "The Thorn" or "Thorn Corporation" or have a symbol with the name Thorn with a globe over it or have Silas Thorn keep a couple of Rotweiler guard dogs. Sorry, I was a little heavy handed in my message, but I do think of Jerry Goldsmith's score when I hear the name Thorn, even though its Silas Thorn. I didn't know if an association between the two even ever occurred to you. :)

They have tended to over use space technology in the plot of Bond films, especially the recent films Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, and Die Another Day which all have some sort of satellite that is critical to the villain's project.

I look forward to reading your script when it's finished. :)

#20 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 12:40 AM

Don't worry, there's no "Thorn Corporation" in my script... his large globe-spanning company goes by another name.

#21 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 07:23 PM

Harmsway, any new developments concerning Twilight of Danger?

#22 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 05:02 AM

I presume that because Harmsway hasn't responded that the project is dead?

#23 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 10:57 PM

The project's certainly not dead.

I've been very busy lately, and other things have taken precendent over writing James Bond script. It's only been recently that I've even started visiting the CBN forums. Not that no progress is being made with Twilight of Danger, it's just that its taking a very long time.

I'm very much a perfectionist, and if something isn't "just so" it doesn't sit well with me. That's probably why this script has gone through almost 6 different concepts.

The villain is still Silas Thorn, and he's got evil designs with the technology he develops. To give a little backstory, he was orphaned as a child but was soon discovered to have great skill at developing microchips and the like (this bit of backstory is actually a carry-over from the unused Bond 17 treatment by Michael G. Wilson and Alfonse Ruggerio). He's ruthless, as well as extremely classy.

A character I haven't mentioned before is Nicholas "Revolver" Reeves (name may be, and probably will be, subject to change), a mercenary figure who uses twin Colt .45 revolvers (little TMWTGG reference there). He's got a wonderful "Most Dangerous Game" scenario with Bond, but it may be rewritten to distance Reeves from Scaramanga.

But progress is moving along and so I hope to have it ready eventually. But time will tell...