20 replies to this topic

#1 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 08:55 PM

7 movies for Roger Moore - what are your favourite movie theme songs?

I like all of them - but I can rank them - here they are:

1. AVTAK - Duran Duran - only Number 1 Bond theme song ever in the UK and US/Canada. ANd I still love it today! Perfect from start to finish - a perfect theme song for Moore's final appearance!!!!

2. TMWTGG - The lyrics for this song are great - and the music is great. I have seen a nuber of talk shows where the talk show band plays this theme song (i.e. Letterman and Arsenio Hall)

3. TSWLM - This is Carly Simon's biggest hit if I am not mistaken. Beautiful lyrics, and she's right - Nobody Does It Better than Roger Moore.

4 OP - Nice lyrics - and the song is a perfect fit for the love scenes between Moore and Octopussy/Magda

5. Moonraker - Shirley Bassey has the voice - and this song soars for the Bond In Space movie.

6. LALD - The song has power - a great turn from the theme songs before it - and hey - Guns and Roses did a cover version of it.

7. FYEO - It's a nice song - i have heard countless renditions of it in shopping malls and stores - sometimes a little too slow. But then again - it was a hit in 1981...!

#2 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:24 PM

Hmmm...mine wuld have to be:

1.) A View to a Kill
2.) Live and Let Die
3.) The Spy Who Loved Me
4.) Moonraker
5.) The Man with the Golden Gun
6.) For Your Eyes Only
7.) Octopussy

#3 AAMD11

AAMD11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 02:48 AM

all of them are the same for me but FYEO is cool.

#4 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 02:51 AM

TMWTGG , LALD , Octopussy , Moorraker, FYEO , AVTAK. it the ones by John Barry that are the best. Especially TMWTGG , i loved the use of the Bond theme during the car chase and like the music for the fun house.

#5 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 03:38 PM

Duran Duran may sing Another Day

By Richard Simpson Showbusiness Correspondent, Evening Standard
12 November 2002

James Bond producers are negotiating with the band behind the most successful 007 theme song to get them on board for the secret agent's 21st outing.

Even before Die Another Day has had its royal premiere, Duran Duran have been approached to record the music for the next Bond adventure.

In 1985, the band went to No1 in the US charts and No 2 in the UK with the theme to A View To A Kill.

Band members Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes, Roger Taylor, Andy Taylor and John Taylor have already reformed and recorded a new album.

They were approached even before Madonna signed up for Die Another Day, but after the relatively poor performance of her single - it peaked at No3 - the band were contacted again.

A source close to the band said: "Duran Duran have been in talks with Bond's producers to make the next soundtrack - and they're really keen.

"The current situation with the band is that they are on the brink of landing one of the biggest comeback record deals of all time and there are a number of labels still waiting to sign them."

#6 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 08:51 AM

1. FYEO - a powerful song with a wonderful melody.

2. TSWLM - romantic song ("Nobody Doe It Better) that is a perfect way to give a nod at the tenth entry in the series.

3. AVTAK - just great!

4. LALD - just love the tough instrumental portions of this song.

5. OP - pleasant song ("All Time High") - would have had a better impact if this was Moore's final film.

6. MR - romantic and rather hypnotic song - however, a terrible way to start a Bond film! It has too much of a lullaby quality that puts you to sleep!

7. TMWTGG - in my opinion, the worst song (very close with DAD) in the series.

#7 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 10:28 AM

Duran Duran working on a song with Arnold......now that would be cool...

#8 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:07 PM

Originally posted by rafterman
Duran Duran working on a song with Arnold......now that would be cool...

No! it would not be cool. It would be horrible . Enough trash title song. Let the one for Bond 21 be like the instrumental in "FRWL" or "OHMSS" .

#9 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 06:03 AM

ok as for themes:

1 TSWLM
2 octopussy
3 L&LD
4 FYEO
5 moonraker
6 AVTAK
7 MWAGG

#10 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 12:50 AM

Best Song- Nobody Does It Better- Very musical. Great pop song. Interesting lyrical perspective.

Best Score- AVTAK- A nice combo of Barry's later romantic work and some nods to earlier more action-packed scores like OHMSS.

#11 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:48 PM

For the title track and the great Barry score, it has to be AVTAK hands down as the best Moore music.

#12 sausagebrigade

sausagebrigade

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:48 PM

I love TMWTGG, great Funhouse theme, but Moonraker, apart from the song, is better.

#13 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 07:18 PM

Listening to the remastered LALD soundtrack has given me a new appreciation for this score by George Martin. He did what Eric Serra failed to do with GE, and that's helping usher in a new Bond era while still keeping the past elements (like the Bond theme) in where appropriate. This is a very underrated score.

I also like Barry's TMWTGG score a lot, although many don't seem to, as well as Octopussy.

#14 sausagebrigade

sausagebrigade

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 07:51 PM

LALD was a great one too, but TMWTGG and Moonraker have the advantage because they're Barry.

#15 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:23 PM

AVTAK

TMWTGG

MOONRAKER

LALD

FYEO

OP

TSWLM

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:55 PM

Originally posted by sausagebrigade
LALD was a great one too, but TMWTGG and Moonraker have the advantage because they're Barry.

I will agree with you on this . LALD is under rated . Most people just associate it with Paul McCarethy , Geogre Martin did a great job.

#17 raggedtiger

raggedtiger

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:47 PM

I like The Man With The Golden Gun. A View To A Kill is also powerful rock/pop/funk entry. Bond theme songs were getting a little too slow from TSWLM through OP.

No one is better than John Barry.

#18 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:24 PM

avtak was great, i dont own it, but i have heard it....nice

#19 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:27 PM

LALD was my first soundtrack and it's the best! I own AVTAK, but it's only "okay". The title songs for LALD and AVTAK are great.

#20 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 11:01 PM

I thought that little article about Duran Duran was interesting.

First, please don't bring back DD. I love AVTAK, but they were of the times. Even if they make some big comeback, it's been done.

Second, the "relative disappointment" of Madonna's DAD song reaching "only no 3". PEOPLE!!! This is the first Bond song to chart in years!! Probably since AVTAK in 85!!! (Although I think LTK may have charted in the UK in 89) I know a lot of people here don't like this song, but I think it's at least okay (if not the best ever), and I think people react too much to "Madonna" rather than the song.

Anyway, I rate the Moore songs in this order:

Nobody Does It Better -TSWLM

AVTAK

All Time High-OP

LALD

FYEO

MR

(big chasm)

TMWTGG

#21 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 05:18 AM

I'd love to find Bill Conti's intstrumental of the ski chase in for your eyes only!

I can't find it on any websites.. that have downloads?

has anyone ever come across it???

let us know :)