21 replies to this topic

#1 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 02:57 PM

George Lazenby is the best Bond in my opinion, so yes just to let people know he does have some fans.

#2 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 03:51 PM

I agree 100%. Lazenby is the best. All the other actors have their strengths as well, but Lazenby stands above them.

#3 AlwaysanAston

AlwaysanAston

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 04:05 PM

I don't know exactly why I love OHMSS so much. It may be because it is the first Bond movie I remember seeing as a kid, or if it is because it was released the same year I was born, but I think it has a lot to do with the way Lazenby and Diana Rigg came across in the film. I have yet to see that chemistry duplicated in any other Bond movie. With the exception of Domino in Thunderball (personal favorite Bond girl) I think Rigg is the best. I would have loved to see Lazenby show up in DAF. Check out the special edition DVD for OHMSS and you'll learn exactly how Lazenby got screwed out of returning as Bond. Good thread.

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 04:25 PM

his ego got the best of him, how sad after only one movie, but it all worked out for the best as he just was not right for the part

#5 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 04:37 PM

I thought he was just fine in OHMSS, he carries himself well as Bond, displays the proper ruthlessness, charm, and romanticism. He's a good Bond, no bones about it. It may have saved the series that he quit and Connery came back for DAF since Connery's presence was clearly good for the box office, even though I can barely stand that film.

As an aside I met Lazenby last year at one of the fan events and he was not a very friendly guy. I was not in his face like a crazy fan, I just said hi and gave him something to sign (which he did) and then I told him I thought his Bond film was the best and he looked at me as if I had made some kind of remark about his wife (who is a very good ESPN commentator and former tennis player).

#6 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 06:00 PM

So true, while I do feel that Lazenby is clearly the best Bond, and I am a very knowledgable Bond fan, I also met Lazenby in person once.

I told him that I felt that his Bond was much better than Brosnan's Bond.

Lazenby's reply, "Good thing you said that because if you said Brosnan was better I would have kicked your ***."

I also remember reading an interview with Diana Rigg once where she said that Lazenby not only had slept with her and every other woman on the set of OHMSS but that he had done it at the same time without them knowing. I guess that Piz Gloria scene went to his head literally.

Anyway Rigg was not at all pleased with what she called a "Womanizing, arrogant ***." This is problably why I like Lazenby so much as Bond, because in all truth that is Bond.

#7 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:36 PM

11 11,

That article with Rigg regarding Lazenby shagging all the babes - when did you read this? Do you know what publication? I would really like to track that down.

Any info you could provide would help. Newspaper? Magazine? NZ publication or ?

#8 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:56 PM

Ok let me think about it, if I remember correctly it was an interview with Rigg on the BBC that was from I don't know the late 70's maybe?

Anyway I read it on the internet. I went to ask.com and typed in George Lazenby and Diana Rigg, and after browsing for awhile I came across it.

I must have come across 100 Lazenby interviews, they are all over the net. There was even one where Lazenby discussed Connery, Moore, Brosnan, Dalton, Bruce Lee, and himself and who would win in a fist fight. Good stuff.

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:19 PM

Personally, though I am a great fan of Lazenby, I like all the Bond actors equally.

#10 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 12:30 AM

Yep George is often over looked. Its that arrogance that Connery bought to the role that Lazenby exceeded that makes him a great Bond.

#11 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 03:56 AM

11 11,

I hate to be a pest, but I have come up empty after a couple hours of searching. I have searched ask.com and google with terms like George Lazenby and Diana Rigg, Diana Rigg interview, Diana Rigg BBC, etc. etc.

Do by any chance remember anything else about it? This is killing me. I know I shouldn't be too obsessed - but if there is an article that confirms Lazenby and Rigg having an emotional relationship - it would explain a lot.

Anyway, your help is appreciated - I'd really like to read both that interview and the other one you mentioned.

Thanks

#12 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:21 AM

I had a look an came up with nothing. Perhaps 11 11 should call records?

There's a mention of it in James Bond: The Legacy. Where Lois Maxwell says that George told her he was sleeping with Diana and she met him in Europe to go skiing after the compleation of OHMSS.

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 02:52 PM

OHMSS was a great movie. Lazenby was not that bad. It was the cowardly acts of the producers:eek:

#14 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 07:40 PM

Cowardly, how? You mean not begging Lazenby back as they did to Connery?

I'd have to agree, but I guess you don't pay a million to a guy who just quit on you.

#15 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 04:04 AM

Connery's return in DAF was the only way to go in terms of Box Office. OHMSS was alright at the B.O. but people didnt like Lazenby at that time and DAF would of been a horrible failure with George and Bond would not be around today.

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 02:05 PM

Yes cowardly, since connery basically sleep-walk his way through the entire movie. He also made increible demands, like $15.000 a day if shoot of the film went over. In DAF he was a overweight bored man out for a paycheck.undefined:p

#17 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 05:54 PM

Originally posted by bribond
...his wife (who is a very good ESPN commentator and former tennis player).

I'm sorry. I didn't know. I read this quote, but didn't know who she was, so I searched the internet...(please be Sabatini, please be Sabatini.) Couldn't find it. Kept looking. And hoping...(Tracy Austin, sure why not, yeah Bond's still got it, maybe it's her.) Still no luck.
Then his age crept into my mind...(surely a nice-looking older woman, undoubtedly still in great shape...) Then I found it.

If you don't already know, trust me, you don't wanna know...

#18 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 05:57 PM

Originally posted by 11 11

I also remember reading an interview with Diana Rigg once where she said that Lazenby not only had slept with her and every other woman on the set of OHMSS but that he had done it at the same time without them knowing. I guess that Piz Gloria scene went to his head literally.

Interesting. Wonder if Lazenby's the only Bond actor to have fished in his own pond, so to speak.

#19 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 07:03 PM

I'm sorry. I didn't know. I read this quote, but didn't know who she was, so I searched the internet...(please be Sabatini, please be Sabatini.) Couldn't find it. Kept looking. And hoping...(Tracy Austin, sure why not, yeah Bond's still got it, maybe it's her.) Still no luck.
Then his age crept into my mind...(surely a nice-looking older woman, undoubtedly still in great shape...) Then I found it.

If you don't already know, trust me, you don't wanna know...

Pam Shriver is Lazenby's wife, he even appeared on one of her broadcasts during the Austrailan Open

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 February 2003 - 11:42 PM

It's Pam Shriver, Navratalova's(sp?) old doubles partner.

#21 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 01:29 PM

Going back to the Rigg/Lazenby thing...

I read somehwhere that Diana deliberately ate garlic in the hour leading up to the shooting of one of the snogging scenes.

#22 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 03:34 PM

It was a joke. She ate garlic for lunch one day when the press was on the set and then called out to him that she had done it in a joking way. The press went nuts and printed all these stories.