5 replies to this topic

#1 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 02:26 PM

Before I ask you all for your comments on this man, I thought I would make one complaint of him, thus leading to making this film, TLD, seem a little bit poorer, even if it still is one of, if not the, favourite of all Bond films to date. The complaint is that he seems so eager to get Koskov into the shop after escaping from the toilets that he locks the shop door, meaning that Koskov has to wait outside before Saunders opens the door. If Kara was a real assassin then she would have made "mince-meat" out of him at the door, no? That moment of mindlessness by Saunders makes me cringe everytime I see that part of the film, it could have compromised Bond's mission.

To me this character is almost as bad as what some people think of JW Pepper in LALD and TMWTGG. Although I like him as he has some sort of bond with Bond (sorry, unintentional) by the scene in the cafe at the fairground that I do feel sorry for his death at the automatic door.

#2 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 02:48 PM

I'll try to be brief on this subject. Everything that Saunders did is in keeping with the way his character was written for the film.

While he's a field agent, he's not like Bond. More of a pencil pusher who's seen no real "action" until now. He's planned this mission "to the last detail" and here come's Bond- a double oh, who's late, overdressed and seems to be to keen on scoping out the ladies.

Once we get inside the rented apartment, we see that Saunder's plan seems to be sound, but his "execution" is lacking:

* No knowledge of KGB snipers.
* Doesn't know how to use night vision
* Has no real insight as to why Bond would be requested for such a mission

To be blunt, he's borderline clueless and upstaged by Bond's handling of "his" mission and 007 rather cavalier attitude towards carrying it out.

By the time we see Saunders again in Austria, he's wearing the tux, inquisitive and slowly warming to Bond's way of doing things. A "bond" is forged by the time they meet in the cafe- respect and admiration is earned by both men(and the audience), and before Saunders can be considered for a role in LTK... He's the sacrificial lamb in the same vein as Tilly Masterson in GF and Mishkin in GE.

Dalton/Bond's expression of sorrow and rage at the death of an ally is priceless and Glen's direction of this scene and Dalton's chase through the park is one of his best ever.

Don't cringe Tedley, you- like most of us were manipulated by good screenwriting, great acting and clever direction.

#3 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 09:28 PM

I agree in that Saunders is a pencil pusher, all that field agent stuff, he's not comfortable with, Bond even showed him how the night vision scope worked, so I think his character was well set straight away. I liked Saunder's with Dalton's Bond, both are good at what they do, and growing respect at last in the cafe scene, and sadly he gets killed, but makes Bond popping the smiert spionom balloon all the more dramatic, great scenes.

"Where has everybody gone." I like it when he plays that.

#4 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 09:39 PM

I'll also go with the ''pencil pusher'' remark, and say that Saunders seems to be an untested agent, who excelled in training and MI6 decide for him to be put on a mission which needs much attention and brain power. However, as he is untested, Bond sees that he is somewhat unprepared for tasks and gadgets ahead of him. I see Saunders as an agent who just wants to go in and get the job done, no hassle etc, and someone who wants to get it done quickly and safely, hence his desperation and locking the door. Overall though, I liked Saunders, he was a good ally for Bond, and his death is untimely and strikes the audience.

#5 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 11:10 PM

Plus, they had to make Saunders and Bond get along to make his death mean something. If Bond (and the audience) was still annoyed with Saunders, his death would have had a different effect.

#6 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 02:43 PM

Here here Robinson - very well put. It's a great little characterisation. In so many films, characters come and go without the viewer getting a feel for them at all. With Saunders, you initially think he is a berk, and then warm to him just before he is killed. Very clever.