This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Does the internet hold the plot to Bond 20?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Diamond

Diamond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 03:58 AM

Perhaps finally - the producers BB & MW are thinking about the fans and giving them what they want whilst still remaining true to Fleming. Perhaps they have got Purvis & Wade or another writer to research what the public want to see???????? After a lot of investigation and talks with a friend at MGM - it seems this screenplay - Final Assignment - does exist as he has heard of it!!

Brosnan's Final Assignment - mmmmmm telling title!!!

I have just been reading up on Fleming's take on Bond's past and have discovered this and posted it with other topics but this is for comment by all :

James Bond is born in Scotland to Andrew Bond and Monique Delacroix Bond.
Andrew Bond was a foreign representative of the Vickers armaments firm while Fleming covered a trial in Moscow concerning spy charges on Vickers employees. Perhaps the writer of Final Assignment has connected Bond's father with these spy charges - hence his involvement with the British Secret Service??
Andrew and Monique Bond are supposedly killed in a climbing accident above Chamonix, in France. Eleven year old James goes to live with his fathers' sister, Charmaine Bond, near Canterbury.
Bond enters Fettes, in Edinburgh, his fathers old school. So his father was scottish - so it would be possible for Connery to be involved - but I doubt they would afford him!!!
Seventeen year old James leaves Fettes and claiming an age of nineteen - enters what becomes the Ministry of Defence. You Only Live Twice, Chapter 21, Obit; by now it was 1941, and by claiming an age of nineteen, and with the help of an Old Vickers colleague of his father ...
In late 1950 James Bond becomes 007 - and is "licenced to kill". Perhaps Bond's father was a double agent and was killed in action. Who knows??

If a plot like this was written correctly - this would make a great film. With Bond 20 anything could happen. It's a major film. The producers want to create something special for the 40th anniversary. Having such a shock for Bond's character and the franchise could be the difference between another TWINE & a new direction. As I previously said to ZenCat ( who personally I think is one cool cat ) on another topic - whoever did write this plot has still kept true to Fleming but elaborated. I was speaking to a development exec at MGM on Friday about Bond and he had heard through certain channels that the writers had been working on many drafts. I can't say - but looking at the script that has been posted - it seems the writer has mixed the old with the new. For this to be the 40th anniversary film - this would make sense. The Spy Who Loved Me's Lotus Esprit mixed with TWINE's Q Boat. It would be one cool car. The Esprit was great underwater - but a car that becomes a speedboat - well I'd like to see it!!!

Perhaps this is THE NEXT JAMES BOND FILM . Does the internet now know more than the inside people - I doubt it - but time will tell.

But one thing is 4 sure - if this script has been written correctly - I feel the Brocolli's could be on to a winner. In L.A. many scripts come across my desk and I can promise you that this writer or writers seem to have shown some intelligence in finally taking something and reinventing it for the better whilst not forgetting what we as fans want to see.

Purvis & Wade - if you have done this work - then hats off - as I've got to say - after TWINE - it's a hell of a lot better than something that just feels as if your going along 4 the ride. You seem to have created a reason rather than a scenario!!!!

Do others agree? Post & perhaps if Purvis & Wade have been reading these sites they will add more to this story of theirs!!!

#2 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 09:41 PM

Diamond, some great points!

I just have this nagging memory of a dumped script for Bond 20 being left in the Pinewood canteen a while ago... Maybe this is what the "source" has leaked?

Another thing to bear in mind is that the scripts do change a *hell* of a lot before shooting begins (and during), Just read the TND first draft compared to the actual screenplay - quite different.

I'll be writing a full critical appraisal pof what we know so far tomorrow, and I'll post it up here when I'm done!

Cheers,
J

#3 Diamond

Diamond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 09:05 PM

Blue Eyes (31 Jul, 2001 06:05 a.m.):
While it does so a 'fantastic' plot line, would EON go out on such a limb? The last "in your face" thing they gave us was OHMSS, and that didn't do all too well!

Once again it comes down to the writing. Perhaps Brosnan has finally got his way??? There was talk if I remember rightly that he wanted Bond to die in the next film. Whilst EON/Danjaq would not kill off Bond for good - it seems like a compromise has been reached. The scenes posted on Bond20.com seem to confirm that fact. Whilst the producers did not want to go out on a limb before because of Cubby - perhaps they know this is the only way to go forward. ie. creating a new story using Flemings history of the character and giving us something we have never seen before - ie. the origins of the 00 agents.

I don't know - after reading all comments here & on the Bond20.Com website - it all depends on what Purvis & Wade or other writers have done with this plot. I think we could have one great action movie with a very good plot but then again - we could as you say - have OHMSS!!!

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 05:05 AM

While it does so a 'fantastic' plot line, would EON go out on such a limb? The last "in your face" thing they gave us was OHMSS, and that didn't do all too well!