12 replies to this topic

#1 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 01:52 PM

One of the reasons I sometimes prefer LTK to TLD is the fact that there are two Bond girls in the former. Whenever a new Bond film goes into the casting phase, I usually am on bated breath waiting to find out who the new Bond girls will be. The juxtaposition of Bond's relationship with the two women, and the women's relationship or interaction with one another, is of great interest to me.

Would a second Bond girl have made TLD even better? I think it would have. It would've tested Bond's loyalty to Kara. Given the climate at the time with AIDS, etc, I know why they created only one female role. But I think the film would've benefited from a second one.

Thoughts?

#2 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 02:05 PM

im personally getting sick of having two bond girls. imo the films just cant handle having two main women charaters. they create one great character, but the other character is usually let down and given nothing much to do other than be there for bond to have sex with.
i think TLD works extremely well with just having kara. it allows bond to have a somewhat real connection with a woman.

#3 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 02:38 PM

I liked what TLD did, one main Bond girl and then one or two others, not so big, like Rosika, the one who helps Bond get Koskov defected.

#4 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 04:52 PM

What's the Bond movie with the most Bond girls? I'd have to say AVTAK. I think it was overcompensation for a lackluster movie.

#5 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 06:59 PM

Originally posted by brendan007
im personally getting sick of having two bond girls. imo the films just cant handle having two main women charaters. they create one great character, but the other character is usually let down and given nothing much to do other than be there for bond to have sex with.
i think TLD works extremely well with just having kara. it allows bond to have a somewhat real connection with a woman.

You bring up valid points, B. Especially your last comments. Never really though of it that way.

For the most part, I think the Brosnan Bonds have managed to give its women a share of things to do. They probably have the most Bond girls who are actually integral to the story.

I remember Michael Apted saying in the pre-production days of TWINE that the women in his film were much more part of the story. How right he was. But then Bruce Fierstein rewrote the script, and what you so aptly described above happened: we had one great female character (Elektra) and another (Christmas) who was let down. She was much more important in the earlier drafts.

Thanks for the input...

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 12:20 AM

I also look forward to seeing who the new Bond girls will be, but I think us fans are getting tired of having a main Bond girl, and an evil or sacrifical lamb. In Fleming's books, there used to only be one girl, and the films should stick to that, have only one strong character, rather than two.

#7 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 12:22 AM

Well, I don't need a second Bond girl in TLD - just one that isn't more than a Russian dumb blonde.

#8 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 12:25 AM

Originally posted by JackChase007
Well, I don't need a second Bond girl in TLD - just one that isn't more than a Russian dumb blonde.

Heh heh, I agree with JC there. Although TL was good in the way that it only kept to one girl, she wasn't s trong character. Yes, she was just an ordinary woman, and not one of these annoying ''female agents'', but she was dumb, and just got in the way of Bond really. In Fleming's books, Bond wouldn't even have got invlolved with a girl like that.

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 12:36 AM

Bond seemed to like Mary goodnight...

Anyway, TLD is fine the way it is. Kara's character is so good that another woman would end up like Paris Carver or Christmas Jones--shoved into just another beautiful woman for Bond to love.

#10 Mr. Big

Mr. Big

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:47 PM

What's not to like about Goodnight, she's dumb, hot, and naive. :) :)

#11 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 12:37 AM

I liked when they were more creative with the roles of the girls. For example, the roles of Jill, Tilly, and Pussy in GF is much more satisfying than in DAD (not to slam those characters, particularly) If you recall, Jill is in the movie only 5 minutes, and she's *still* one of the most famous characters. Pussy is only in the movie for the last 45 minutes, and *she's* one of the most memorable characters of the series.

Jinx, and to a lesser degree, Miranda have more screen time than either of these two (or three) women, but are not as memorable because of the writer. I hate to be cliche and point to Fleming, but the original stories were just better. But what can you do?

Anyway, I am also sick of having agents as heroines. It's boring.

#12 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 12:41 AM

If your depending too much on girls in the Bond films, it shows in the film, you can only give so much time to everything, TLD is great the way it is.

I think TWINE could of done without Christmas Jones easily, and save more scenes for Renard who was underused, for example, sometimes it feels forced.

In LTK, both Bond girls were balanced with the story, Bond with Bond girl-Pam, and mirror image of Bond-Sanchez-villian with his Bond girl-Ruppie, they were used very appropriately, and weaved into the story, Pam-stingers to get from Hella, and the villian's girl mixed up in it all etc.

#13 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 12:44 AM

I like one Bond girl instead of two. Unless it is like the Bond girls from GE, if they are both really good like in GE then great. I think Kara in TLD was fine.

However if you ask could TLD have used a better looking Bond girl, then yes.