18 replies to this topic

#1 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 January 2002 - 11:55 PM

Does anyone think that Roger Moore should have done Diamonds Are Forever instead of Sean Connery? I know everyone was glad to see good ol' Sean return at the time but I think Roger would have been better in this one. Connery was beginning to show his age and I don't think anyone will argue that he was not in the best shape. The movie also began to take the comedic turn where a lot of the movies try to be funny which is why Moore would be good at this one. This is a bad Sean Connery James Bond movies, but would make a good Roger Moore James Bond movie. Yes, I know this would have given Roger 8 movies as Bond but so what.

#2 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 05:57 PM

True. I remember reading in a Bond book about the movies that most Bond fans and non-fans went to see DAF because of the return of Sean Connery so right after George Lazenby, people may not have been ready to accept another actor playing the part.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 08:16 AM

Rather than highlighting whether or not Moore could have done better in DAF than Connery, I'd like to look at something else.

What would it have done to the Bond series?

I have a feeling that it would have been a bad move. Directly after Lazenby I'm sure a lot of people may have said, "Not another Bond" and approached the film with a bit of lacklustre. However, with the return of Connery people knew what they were going to get, they knew that Bond was back (at least the Bond for their time).

DAF may have actually bombed out at the box office without Connery.

#4 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 05:33 AM

Thats what I've felt for a long while. DAF is a Moore Bond film with Connery as Bond. Not sure if I would have liked it more if Roger was in it, but it couldnt have hurt it.

#5 Alex

Alex

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 04:49 AM

George Lazenby should've starred in DAF. Anyone else would've been out of place, which is part of the reason I dislike it.

In the beginning, he goes around beating up people to find out where Blofeld is, and I always wonder, why is he mad? He's not even the right Bond!

And then we find that Blofeld doesn't actually look or sound like himself, and all tension is blown to hell right then and there.

DAF had a very vicious and unsettling feel to it (partly due to Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd), not to mention crude humor "I'm afraid you've caught me with more than my hands up" and some swearing "Bitch...your problems are all behind you now", and I think Moore would've left a bad taste in most people's mouths.

#6 Macca

Macca

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 06:35 AM

Roger COULD have starred in DAF, but this doesn't mean that he should have. Personally I like the way Sean begins to change the character of Bond slightly in this film. It's like he knew that Roger would replace him - and therefore it's like a natural progression when Roger does start. That's why I found TLD so shocking; cause the way Dalton played Bond in that movie was so utterly removed from the way Moore played Bond in AVTAK...

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 January 2002 - 08:49 AM

JimmyBond (06 Jan, 2002 05:33 a.m.):
Thats what I've felt for a long while. DAF is a Moore Bond film with Connery as Bond. Not sure if I would have liked it more if Roger was in it, but it couldnt have hurt it.

But then we would have been deprived of Roger Moore's definitive reading of the challenging role of Lord Brett Sinclair

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 02:44 AM

Definitely Lazenby.
Also, does anyone find that there are similarities to the book You Only Live Twice and the film On Her Majesty

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 10:44 AM

Alex (20 Feb, 2002 04:49 a.m.):
George Lazenby should've starred in DAF. Anyone else would've been out of place, which is part of the reason I dislike it.

In the beginning, he goes around beating up people to find out where Blofeld is, and I always wonder, why is he mad? He's not even the right Bond!

And then we find that Blofeld doesn't actually look or sound like himself, and all tension is blown to hell right then and there.

DAF had a very vicious and unsettling feel to it (partly due to Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd), not to mention crude humor "I'm afraid you've caught me with more than my hands up" and some swearing "Bitch...your problems are all behind you now", and I think Moore would've left a bad taste in most people's mouths.

I agree on this one. I think Lazenby would have been perfect in that film. Every time I watch it, I can imagine him in every scene. It somes so suited to him.
As for Roger Moore, I couldn't imagine him performing the bikini strangulation scene very well. In pretty much the whole movie, there's only about five places that suit his style.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 03:33 PM

I am glad Moore didn't do DAF because it is one of the weakest entries in the series and Roger probably couldn't have salvaged that one.
I think DAF is seriously disappointing. Bonds wife was killed in the previous movie. The movie following OHMSS should have been a movie about Bond seeking revenge. Roger showed with FYEO that he could play a movie with those strengths.

#11 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 09:45 PM

NOPE.. that piece of poop should be under Sean's watch as Bond

#12 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:11 PM

I think Lazenby should have done DAF, so maybe then we would be able to see Bond avenge Tracy's death.

#13 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:17 PM

yeah the way bond just avenge Tracy's death... so quickly or campy was dumb! Sean looked like he didn't care..

george did amazing job showing love & grief for tracy

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:58 PM

I think DAF should have had a revenge plot. Instead they went about some nonsense of a giant laser in space. It should have been like FYEO.

#15 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:27 PM

I agree.. that would have been an amazing way for sean to go out!! :)

plus it would have been what sean wanted a greedy real acting part!! that was one of the reason he got bored with Bond.. because they just kept trying to remake goldfinger (sorta)

But I think that would have been a great movie! there is nothing better then a revenge movie :cool:

#16 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 01:24 AM

i would have loved roger in daf, as i feel its already a roger type bond film....and roger is not even in it

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 02:07 AM

I would have liked Roger in DAF because then we would have eight Moore 007 movies

#18 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 02:43 AM

Actually, no. If not for DAF, people would squarely pin the comedy Bonds on Moore even more than they already do. DAF at least proves what direction the producers were heading in before Moore came around.

The '70s were inevitable, and they were going to happen the same way regardless of who played the character. The idea of a "serious" Bond movie like FYEO or OHMSS or TLD in the '70s seems ridiculous.

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 02:45 AM

Well okay.....I would have loved for DAF to have been a revenge plot movie rather than some silly space weapon adventure...The only movie that really pulled that off was probably GE (and even that one has problems with it)..