Rank the Lazenby Movies!

26 replies to this topic

#1 MattCasey009

MattCasey009

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 05:26 PM

Lol I know this is a stupid title, because Lazenby only did one Bond. SO of coarse OHMSS would be #1, but if you have any insight o this, please provide your expert anaylsis.:)

#2 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 02:35 PM

Well yes Lazenby appeared as Bond in a movie only once, but he has appeared as Bond twice on television.

1983's Return of the Man From UNCLE (complete with Astin Martin)

1989's Alfred Hitchcock Presents Diamonds Aren't Forever (complete with Union Jack parachute)

As far as ranking them - I'd probably put them in date order:

OHMSS
UNCLE
Hitchcock (played more for laughs)

#3 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 04:23 PM

did he make any more after OHMSS , that are worth discussion . The only one i ever saw after Bond was a rather sorry "Kung Fu" film. Don't even remember the title. Just sat there and felt that it was a waste. I know that he get mad when people asks him about it . And in many ways he's right just that the anger is miss directed at the fans. So i really don't think(?) , that a ranking of his movies would do any go. Unlike Connery and Moore , Dalton , and Bronsan . He never established a solid track record as a actor . So it's hard too judge.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 January 2003 - 10:28 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
did he make any more after OHMSS , that are worth discussion . The only one i ever saw after Bond was a rather sorry "Kung Fu" film.

It was called The Man From Hong Kong, and as it was in the cinerma just after The Man with the Golden Gun George tried to poo-poo the limp kung-fu action in Roger's movie.

The only memorable thing about the movie for me now is the theme song, which was sung by British Jigsaw and later revamped by Newton. The song is called Sky High.

Much prefer the original version.

#5 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 10:55 PM

Is it availble on VHS. here in america 2 TV station. 1 cable the other 1 not , use to show . Old poorly dubbed Kung -Fu flicks . No real programming was available in the saturday afternoon. I just remembered Lazenby. Kicking and cropping away. it was still sad . considering how big a film like OHMSS was or even TMWTGG . compared to this.

#6 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 03:32 AM

Lazenby was also in Unversal Soldier.

My opinion is that after OHMSS, you've done the greatest Bond film ever, so one is enough!

PS. Was Lazenby's fighting in The Man from Hong Kong good like his stunts in OHMSS?

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 16 January 2003 - 06:23 AM

Originally posted by General Koskov
PS. Was Lazenby's fighting in The Man from Hong Kong good like his stunts in OHMSS?

Can't remember, General. But I'll guarantee the fight scenes were better choreographed and edited in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

#8 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 09:21 AM

Rank the Lazenby Bond films? This is a very tough choice. Let's see now, hmm. Sorry, I just can't make up my mind - very tough call...

#9 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 01:43 PM

I like to consider myself a pretty reasonable movie buff, but I must confess I've never heard of any other film with Lazenby in apart from OHMSS. His career bombed. Simple as that.

#10 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Scottlee
I like to consider myself a pretty reasonable movie buff, but I must confess I've never heard of any other film with Lazenby in apart from OHMSS. His career bombed. Simple as that.

Well many would agree with you. still he made some "Kung-Fu" hack jobs in Hong-Kong. So i guess they count as films. Other than that he was a "Failure". Shame , the man would have made a great Bond. Only if he had his head screwed on .

#11 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:47 PM

Well, OHMSS would be No.1 on the list of Lazenby Bond movies, followed by OHMSS in the No.2 spot, but they are a close tie. Here is why:

In OHMSS Lazenby is very courageous in adopting the Bond mantle after Connery and taking on such an ambitious and character-driven plotline.

However, why OHMSS comes second is because Lazenby is still too much in the shadow of Connery, sporting a similar haircut. He is also too self-confident that he has it made and did not think it fit to continue in the role after this. His acting skills aren't quite up to par, especially compared to his earlier OHMSS.

So OHMSS comes first, followed by OHMSS.

#12 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Welshcat
Well, OHMSS would be No.1 on the list of Lazenby Bond movies, followed by OHMSS in the No.2 spot, but they are a close tie. Here is why:
In OHMSS Lazenby is very courageous in adopting the Bond mantle after Connery and taking on such an ambitious and character-driven plotline.
However, why OHMSS comes second is because Lazenby is still too much in the shadow of Connery, sporting a similar haircut. He is also too self-confident that he has it made and did not think it fit to continue in the role after this. His acting skills aren't quite up to par, especially compared to his earlier OHMSS.  
So OHMSS comes first, followed by OHMSS.

If not for Connery silly outlook on Bond . There would be no need for this thread to exist. why ? He (Connery ) would have done OHMSS. It would be considered the Greatest Bond film ever. And Lazenby would still be selling candy.

#13 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:57 AM

Me and my friends like to watch films and point out plot holes or just make fun of the stuff that goes on. We often watch Thunderbirds, for example, and we are commentating all the way through, it is a right laugh.

OHMSS was a film that you could easily do this with, with the dodgey fighting style/editing at the time. You wouldnt be able to believe how much my friend laughed when Tracy died.

#14 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 05:03 PM

I'm sure we could all easily laugh when your friend dies too.

Connery in OHMSS? Wouldn't work. He would just get all stroppy when Tracy dies and throttle the traffic cop in an act of machoism.

#15 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Daltonitus
I'm sure we could all easily laugh when your friend dies too.
Connery in OHMSS? Wouldn't work. He would just get all stroppy when Tracy dies and throttle the traffic cop in an act of machoism.

No one know for sure how OHMSS would have turned out . If you want too read a article on it . check out www.hmss.com . they have a what if OHMSS came before YOLT and Connery did the as oppose to YOLT in 1967. It might change your opinion.

#16 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 06:31 PM

OHMSS of course is #1, then it gets hairy after that b/c Lazenby went over to asia and did alot of odd acting jobs. BUT, my second favorite Lazenby film (well, featuring him anyway) would have to be the "Thats Armageddon" sketch from the film Kentucky Fried Movie. The film itself is a series of sketches and makes fun of eerything from cheesy B movies, to infomercials. If you haven't seen it, it's a very funny film done by john Landis and written by The Zucker Brothers (who also did Airplane, Top Secret, and the Naked Gun series), . If you like that kind of humor, than check it out, and look for Lazenby as "The Architecht". It's not a big part, but it was very shocking, and very funny to see him in the film. Here's some of his dialogue from the film that is stated as the entire city is burning and blowing up behind them:

The Architect: What are you saying?
The Nurse: Leave her... come back to Montana with me.
The Architect: I could no sooner run away from her than myself.
The Nurse: I'm not asking you to run, I'm asking you to face reality!
The Architect: Whose reality, yours or mine?
The Nurse: My reality AND yours, that's whose!
The Nurse: Leave her! Come back to Montana with me!
The Architect: I could no sooner run away from her than myself!
The Nurse: I'm not asking you to run, I'm asking you to face reality!
The Architect: Whose reality, yours or mine?
The Nurse: My reality AND yours, that's whose!

Rich

#17 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Tehuti 004
Me and my friends like to watch films and point out plot holes or just make fun of the stuff that goes on. We often watch Thunderbirds, for example, and we are commentating all the way through, it is a right laugh.
OHMSS was a film that you could easily do this with, with the dodgey fighting style/editing at the time. You wouldnt be able to believe how much my friend laughed when Tracy died.

What is funny about the why "Tracy died" in OHMSS ? The "Thunderbirds" are Puppets . What mature adults watch puppertry show and can compare them to James Bond.

#18 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 12:18 PM

a) We don't actually compare Thunderbirds with James Bond. In fact, we don't compare Thunderbirds to anything. It's just a show, that was done for children, which is very funny! And as far as I know, there are an equal amount of adults who like it as there are children.

:) The end of OHMSS- The thing that was funny was that it all seemed so silly. We have that German woman, who disappeared about half hour ago, who manages to track Bond back to the country where he would get married, track him to *the exact spot* where he was getting married, followed him (from quite a while away since it takes her a while to get to the ledge where Bond stops the car) up to the ledge (which we don't see, so it looks as if she just zooms out of nowhere).... and misses Bond completely! And got the other poor woman instead. I understand how it could be a very sad an emotional scene, and indeed the last bit is quite sad, but I'm afriad how the scene was set up just threw me into a fit of giggles.

#19 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 02:30 PM

Irma Bubt is the german women who disappears for the story . It's only during the Ski Chase. Watch the film again . So was also important character in the book. Since in the film during the hunt for Bond in the swiss village and during the car chase. Once again watch the film . Bond wedding was not a secret since . He assume in correctly that Blofeld was death. The last scecn of Blofeld is hanging from the tree branch . bobsled run once Piz Gloria is destroyed . In the novel the wedding was at the British Consul in Munich . In the film at Draco's estate . Remeber Draco was head of a major crime synicate (the Union Corse) . So any wedding of his only daughter ,Tracy .would have been news. If you find that scene funny . That explains how a mental underdelevoped adult can watch puppets for a half hour . Watch the film again .

#20 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 03:30 PM

Rich,

Thanks for a good laugh. I love that scene as well.

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 06:39 PM

Originally posted bydoublenoughtspy
Rich,
Thanks for a good laugh.I love that scene as well.

Why your quite welcome . Of course i fail to find humor in one of the most faithful screen adaptations of a James Bond movie . Which still is one of the best books in literary Bond . Then you must be a "Thnderbirds" fan also. Leave the "weed" alone the next time you watch "OHMSS".

#22 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:36 PM

Hello, I'm that friend that Tehuti mentioned earlier. I also spoke for him in the last post.

a) I'm not a Bond fan. I've watched 2 films, Live and Let Die and OHMSS. I found them both very boring. This is probably
because I don't like action films in general. Plus, I don't like the character of Bond. I prefer heroes who try to think things through
and find a solution that doesn't lose lots of people their lives. Bond just seems to run around shooting things, which doesn't
appeal to me.

I wouldn't read the books either, so I've never read OHMSS and don't know the importance of that woman who shot Tracy.

:) You seem to keep coming back to the Thunderbirds thing. Let me repeat: we KNOW it's a silly programme. We KNOW it'sa
childish programme. But it's also very *FUN*. It's something to sit back and laugh at. We don't take it seriously, we don't really
care about it. It's just a TV show that was on in the sixties which we happen to find very silly and entertaining.

c) I don't insult people on forums. You appear to. Yet you call me a weed and mentally unbalanced. Go figure.... You're also someone
of around.. what, 40 years of age? Surely, being an adult, you should act in an adult way? No, go ahead, insult people for the fun of
it.... You also seem to take these Bond films very seriously, judging by you're having a go at me because I had a difference of opinion.
My favourite show is a little series called Doctor Who. I don't take this seriously. When one of the Doctor's dies, I don't find it emotional.
I don't have a go at people who don't have the same opinions of me. likewise, i don't have a go at people who don't like Who. It's
their choice. Why should they watch and like a programme because I watch and like it?

It's called making allowances for other people's opinions. i'd thoughy that, being the age you are, you'd have worked out something
like that long ago. That's why I find that scene in OHMSS not very sad, and you do. Difference. Of. Opinion.

d) To be honest, you seem to be a bit pathetic really. That's just my view, which doesn't count for anything, but you're general manner
leaves a lot to be desired. I don't come round here often anyway, so whatever you say back to me won't matter to me. I don't judge
you to be a very nice person really, so whatever you say will be water off a duck's back. By all means, rant at me. You'll just be wasting
your time.

And thankyou doublenoughtspy, whoever you are!

Sorry for the spacing out, but since I was sent this on notepad, copied and pasted it, it appears to have come out wrong for some reason...

#23 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 12:38 AM

Originally posted by Tehuti 004

I'm not a Bond fan. I've watched 2 films, Live and Let Die and OHMSS. I found them both very boring. This is probably
because I don't like action films in general. Plus, I don't like the character of Bond. I prefer heroes who try to think things through
and find a solution that doesn't lose lots of people their lives. Bond just seems to run around shooting things, which doesn't
appeal to me.

Why on Earth are you a member of a James Bond fan website if your are not a Bond fan . Why insult a novel/movie that you do not understand or intend to read .

#24 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 10:28 AM

If you read that, you will see that the person who posted that was my friend, since he was the one who you said was mentally undeveloped.

I am a Bond fan, hense why I joined this site, I understand the movies and the books, I have seen them all atleast 3 times. And I have read a good deal of the books, Gardner, Benson, Amis and Fleming. Half of each writers books (bar Colonel Sun) and I have only been a true bond fan since last November or so.

#25 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 03:24 PM

ok kids, back on track-OHMSS rocks and it's really too bad George's career sucked so much afterwards, he needs to make a come back on a TV series or something, to prove how good he could really be...

#26 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 03:40 PM

Lazenby was great as Bond. Maybe one day if they ever did a film featuring an older Bond, where it is a film about Bond in his later days, he could do it. This film would have to be apart from the continuity of the series now, but it would be nice to see. But i'd probably like to see Roger or Connery do it though. In the end, the film would never happen though.

#27 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 04:57 PM

Maybe George can do a sitcom based on his life or something.