WOuld Dalton have been good in GE?

15 replies to this topic

#1 MattCasey009

MattCasey009

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:12 AM

I think Dalton could have played Bond perfect in GE. I stern, serious Bond. Oh my god, that would be like the greatest movie. I keep pondering about it, but I think it really would have been one of the best if not the best Bond film if Dalton had starred in it. Too bad he didn't though. What are the thoughts of the public on this one?

#2 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 03:02 AM

Dalton would have been superb in GoldenEye.

And despite my misgivings when I heard that he'd been cast, Brosnan was also superb in GoldenEye.

#3 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 10:57 PM

Originally posted by White Persian
Dalton would have been superb in GoldenEye.

And despite my misgivings when I heard that he'd been cast, Brosnan was also superb in GoldenEye.

Gee, I wonder if it was because GE was superbly written and directed?

#4 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 11:03 PM

This brings up the question: was GoldenEye so successful because it starred Pierce Brosnan as a new Bond, was the first Bond movie in six years and was brilliantly marketed, or was it the movie itself? I'd say a little from column A and a little from column B.

With no offence intended towards Dalton fans, I don't think it would have been as successful artistically or commercially if Dalton had starred. The whole thrust of the GE marketing campaign was that Bond (as in the suave, cool Bond popularized by Connery and Moore) was back. Brosnan's lines in the immortal GE trailer say it all: "You were expecting someone else?".

#5 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 02:06 AM

GE was great, Dalton would of been good, but I don't think he would of topped his LTK performance, better he left it to Pierce, and commented when he saw the trailier, he made the right decision. I would of liked more Dalton films, but I would of wanted them before GE, all that mgm legal battles spoiled it, the Dalton momentum should of continued in 1991 and 1993, but as fate brought him in TLD, fate brought him out, so it remains. I think the 90s Bond and the type of films we've had with Pierce, work with him, as he's prepared to do a mixture of many bonds performance, character moments in the 90s in alot of action films was lesser, action took a new level, a peaking level, and for Dalton, it would be a step back, he could of done 2 more say before GE, but I think he was right to stop, Roger's films suited Roger, Daltons films suit him, LTK especially, and the action environment of the mid 90s would tone down what Tim would be given, my guess. But Pierce is happy to do what the punter wants, but Tim as Pierce said was brave to find Bond's darker side at the time, so thats the way it worked out.

The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill are far more enjoyable Bond films for me then GE, it would be great to see Dalton again, but I think his two films is as good as it gets.

#6 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 10:59 AM

Dalton would've been great. It probably unfortunatly wouldn't have been as successful as GE. But you gotta remember, new film, 6 years new Bond. People went also out of intrigue to see what they would do. When you go six years without a Bond film even people who'd only go to see one regular or get it on video went because it'd been so long.

Dalton probably would have been better than Brosnan in it. But it wouldn't have made as much money unfortunantly, but I think the action's probably a little large for Dalton's tastes anyway. History's done. But it had the best advertising and marketing of a Bond film i've seen in a long time.

Mates had the anticipating seeing the trailers that it was a Bond movie. But "how could it be? do they still make them?" Then the awesome trailer, with the GoldenEye trailer theme. Got a lot of people interested in Bond. I think TLD and LTK are fine enough for Dalton, I wouldn't change anything.

#7 B5Erik2

B5Erik2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:07 PM

I remember the first time I saw GE, and there were several spots where I thought that Pierce didn't play it as well as Dalton could have (where he had to be hard and serious), and several other spots where I thought Dalton might have struggled a bit to lighten up.

When Bond explains (on the beach) why he does the things he does ("It keeps me alive") it just came across as something that Dalton could have done much better. Just one line, but Dalton just seemed more world weary - like a guy who's been nearly killed several times - and that attitude would have given the scene more weight and believability. Brosnan was OK in parts like that, but Dalton would have been better.

Brosnan grew into the role very nicely, but Dalton had it nailed from day one. Brosnan's Bond really is a combination of Connery, Moore, and Dalton. Dalton's Bond was Fleming's Bond, with no regard to the actors who came before him. It was a unique interpretation - as were both Connery and Moore's Bonds. Brosnan plays it down the middle finding a happy medium to please everyone.

Brosnan could have done almost any of the Bond movies, but they had to write for Dalton (making his movies and the Bond character closer to Fleming's version). From a purist's standpoint, that's a good thing.

They would have had to do very little tweaking (to the script) to make GE right for Dalton.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:36 PM

While I'm personally of the opinion that GoldenEye was a major success because of the break and because of Brosnan...

As for Dalton's GE. It would have been hugely different to Brosnan's. Read the first script draft, it screams Dalton.

#9 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
While I'm personally of the opinion that GoldenEye was a major success because of the break and because of Brosnan...

As for Dalton's GE. It would have been hugely different to Brosnan's. Read the first script draft, it screams Dalton.

Got a link to that first draft?

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:09 AM

There isn't one.

#11 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 02:39 AM

I really thought that despite Daltons talents, GoldenEye was and would be better with Brosnan.

However, thats not to say that Daltons influence is not on the film. In many ways the emotional aspects that he began paving back into Bond carry through GoldenEye, and are masterfull delievered by a stellar cast. Thus, his influence will always be there.

#12 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:18 AM

One thing is for sure, Trevelyan would have made a magnificent adversary against Daltons' Bond, much more so than Brosnan's 007.

The scenes between Dalton and Trevelyan would have been some of the most highly charged and best ever in the whole series.

I truly regret Brosnan taking over in 1995 and missing out on

GoldenEye with T D.

#13 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:17 AM

well as for me, one who never liked dalton as bond and for a number of reason,s 1. he did not look like bond 2. he did not dress as bond (pierce always has a suit on that is to die for) 3. and he did not carry himself as bond SUCH AS WALKING AND TALKING and when he said bond....james bond it was so flimsy so i am glad that the dalton era ended after 2 i think him in goldeneye would have been ltk all over again but worse. some say he was ian flemming of the books......well i dont read or care for flemmings books, i am for the movie bonds and to that end he did not do a very good interpretation. i know i am not going to make the dalton/bond cult happy with what i have said but that is how i feel> pierce is the man he walks, talks, acts, looks and is JAMES BOND

#14 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 05:15 PM

Well Dalton still seemed very Bond like in The Rocketeer in 1991. GE was originally supposed to be released in either 1992 or 1993, but by 1995, I think it was problably better that Brosnan had the part. By 49 I think Dalton was problably ready to be replaced. He was just unlucky he never got to make his 3rd Bond movie.

#15 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 06:03 PM

Hmmm, Dalton was amazing as Bond, a brillaint actor, and he might have done well in GE, although I do have doubts. Afer that six year gap, people may have forgotten about how Dalton acted and such, and may have been surprised at how dark Dalton was, when the cold war was over and the whole world was at a happy state. Brosnan was outstanding in GE, dark, but combining it with that ever so light touch of humour that was needed in 1995. I couldn't see Dalton opposite Trevelyan in the pre-titles, nor could I see him fighting him on the attanea at the end. I'm not down playing Dalton here, he was a really great Bond, but I just don't think he would have been as good in GE as he was in TLD and LTK.

#16 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 07:02 PM

I say its about a tie, but I remember Dalton's comments when he saw the trailier of Pierce in Goldeneye, he remarked I made the right decision, I think he knew the script, knew what Pierce could do with it, and what he would do with it, it wouldn't of been a matter unless for that unlucky mgm bond rights battle that made the 6 year gap, as someone said above, just unlucky not to do his 3rd film, waiting for half a decade then it comes, and it's been just too long I guess, but it always weird thinking about a film with a different actor, once its done its done, yet if Tim made it, we wouldn't know of Pierce's version, and we might say same things if Pierce was in GE, or Licence to Kill, it can drive you crazy a bit, but I think it worked out for the series, the whole 6 years after LTK and legal battles will always be a thorn and a annoyance when the question pops up on possible 3rd Dalton Bond movie, but I've made my peace with it, 2 landmark Bond films for Dalton, and Pierce's films have been popular, and at the same time, given fans overtime to look back at Dalton's films to see many plus's, because as most people don't really appreciate somethings until it's gone, I like LTK and TLD loads more this year then ever before, Cubby made Bond films to last, remembering hearing Robert Davis-Sanchez saying that.