#1 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 29 December 2002 - 04:49 AM

There are black horizontal lines on my Dr No DVD.

Does that happen with everyone elses?

Or have I been given a faulty one?

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 05:05 AM

Do you mean the top and bottom ones, ala widescreen bars?

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 05:16 AM

No, sorry, not those ones (I shoulda explained more) I know they're meant to be there.

My DVD has thin black horizontal lines all the way from the top of the screen to the bottom.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 05:43 AM

If it doesn't do that with other DVDs I'd say take it back to the store and swap it over.

#5 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan
No, sorry, not those ones (I shoulda explained more) I know they're meant to be there.

My DVD has thin black horizontal lines all the way from the top of the screen to the bottom.

If these lines are down the edges of the screen then this is correct but you only see them on monitors that don't overscan the image. Let me explain - Dr. No (and FRWL/GF) were filmed in a 1:78 aspect ratio and the DVD's present this whole image on the disc. You can see the whole image when the movie is view on a PC monitor but TV's often overscan the image and it generally fills the screen horizontally. Depending on the TV this sometimes shows up. The same it true of my Thunderball disc - if I watch on the PC the whole image is visible but on my 28" widescreen TV the edges are cropped off slightly due to overscan. This is particularly evident in the titles. The first three Bond movies were shown in different ratios in the US and Europe due to the standard way they mask their cinema screens/projectors. You lose very little information but the other side of the coin appears when they are now viewed on a fullscreen PC monitor.
If the lines are anywhere else other than at the right and left hand side then it is another problem altogether and sounds like a faulty disc. Hope this helps.

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 10:02 PM

Thanks B E and Red G :)

That could be it Red Grant. I'll see. :)

#7 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:15 PM

There are cheesy lines in my Diamonds are Forever, oh wait, that's the whole script!

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Jriv71
There are cheesy lines in my Diamonds are Forever, oh wait, that's the whole script!

LOL.....wow, this thread was getting kinda technical until you threw that nice bit of humor into it Jriv7

#9 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 11:37 AM

>>My DVD has thin black horizontal lines all the way from the top of the screen to the bottom.<<

Don't you mean VERTICAL?

#10 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:28 AM

On my A View To A Kill disk there are black thin vertical lines that appear briefly during the mining sequence in two shots, but I think that was a fault in the source print they used for the DVD.